Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesmaps)
    The halls are really good, I'm in James Watson and I love it. Although we seem to lack hot water more often than I'd like......

Oh and Route 66 Tuesdays. Followed by a drunken Subway... Good times!
    I've been hearing a lot about the hot water issue at James Watson. Has anyone reported it?
    I think I might apply to get into the halls with en-suite but if there's no hot water when I need it then what's a point...

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there's hot water up until midday in the guildhalls (James Watson and Traf etc)
    This is only a rumour though!
    We had hot water all day, every day at the beginning of term.. :/
    Showers are LOVELY though ..when they are hot ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brucey)
    I used to think aqua was the cheapest but city wide are actually way better. Throughout the whole of the snow period aqua charged time and a half and they do every sunday as well, whereas citywide don't! Also, from my experience any cabs from a rank have been way more expensive.
    Aqua charge fare + 70p on sundays and in the evening, still cheaper then citywide for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    really? i've always found them to be pretty much exactly the same, but just stuck with city after the snow period and sunday extra charge. also my mate has now decided to start using elite, as apparently they're even cheaper?! got one last night with him and it did seem cheaper than usual..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brucey)
    really? i've always found them to be pretty much exactly the same, but just stuck with city after the snow period and sunday extra charge. also my mate has now decided to start using elite, as apparently they're even cheaper?! got one last night with him and it did seem cheaper than usual..
    I've found aqua to be cheaper then citywide cabs, i've heard that elite are cheaper, but they take longer apparently cause they have a lot less cars on the road.

ReputationRep:
    everything is really close you can walk to most places
    albert road - if your a portsmouth student you get discount at the fudge shop by the kings - go its great
    we have a nudist beach
    the common in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    everything is really close you can walk to most places
    albert road - if your a portsmouth student you get discount at the fudge shop by the kings - go its great
    we have a nudist beach
    the common in the summer
    I've only been on an open day but I'd say the best thing is the uni buildings - all look great, a lot nicer than the rest of the city !

ReputationRep:
    I fell in love with the City of Portsmouth first time I went there in like 2006ish. It really is a great little place! A real gem by the sea. At some point I became dully aware I wanted to go to University in a city by the sea, and Portsmouth fit that bill perfectly - and I loved the city already anyway. Then I looked at the courses and found they had one which was perfect - like, absolutely ideal. Visited again for a Preview day...Not only was it by far the best Open Day of all the ones I went on, Portsmouth the city was still just as awesome. Can't wait to head back down there a week on Wednesday (And then in September )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jensonb)
    I fell in love with the City of Portsmouth first time I went there in like 2006ish. It really is a great little place! A real gem by the sea. At some point I became dully aware I wanted to go to University in a city by the sea, and Portsmouth fit that bill perfectly - and I loved the city already anyway. Then I looked at the courses and found they had one which was perfect - like, absolutely ideal. Visited again for a Preview day...Not only was it by far the best Open Day of all the ones I went on, Portsmouth the city was still just as awesome. Can't wait to head back down there a week on Wednesday (And then in September )
    glad to see i'm not the only one who has fallen for Pompey - see you in Sept :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cravendale)
    Im surprised to see the number of negative comments on this forum. This really is not representative of what the majority of people think. Im guessing it is just people from Scumhampton with too much time on their hands!

Good points:
    1. Southsea common - great for bbq's, kick abouts, sun bathing...
    2. nice weather compared to the north
    3. near the sea
    4. Gunwharf for shopping, eating, clubbing...
    5. great student atmosphere
    6. helpful staff
    7. very good for engineering
    I could go on and on!
    Please, keep going.

ReputationRep:
    So happy i have found some people who feel the same way about the pomp as myself
    It's home from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viikatron)
    Well, i saw there's a thread on here by some current students based on how they have had some bad experiences of the university - of course this is only normal, what some people love other people might hate etc.

SO i thought it might be useful for those of us who have good things to say about Portsmouth to post it all here! Just thinking it would really help out those who are thinking of coming to Portsmouth for their studies :]

Whether you're a prospective, current or past student - post your positive thoughts here! It can be anything from your subject to the clubs and societies or the night life to the people you've met whilst you've been there!
    Drunken Kens Chicken (Y)

ReputationRep:
    The best things about Portsmouth as a city are the things you discover yourself - there are awesome club nights that aren't shoved down your throat by the local 'student promoters' (there's a whole club dedicated to 90s music, EVERY NIGHT! And some awesome indie/alt clubs).
    The shops are awesome, especially if you use some initiative and wander down Albert Road/Southsea.
    The Uni itself has excellent facilities, loads of extra-curricular stuff and societies.
    Needing a line to itself: The Fleet.

Ahh, I just love it

ReputationRep:
    So I've just been to one of the open days back in October and already I can say some good things.

- Excellent reputation, especially for my course.
    - Awesome city, everything was easy to find.
    - By the sea, always awesome..I can see it as a good getaway already.
    - South of England which will most likely be better weather than up north.

I don't mind the nightlife not being as good as London cause I have never been there, hopefully it'll be at least on par with Belfast which I love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armageddonbride)
    there's a whole club dedicated to 90s music, EVERY NIGHT!
    EPIC! I HAVE to find this place!

ReputationRep:
    The best things about Portsmouth as a city are the things you discover yourself - there are awesome club nights that aren't shoved down your throat by the local 'student promoters' (there's a whole club dedicated to 90s music, EVERY NIGHT! And some awesome indie/alt clubs).
    Ooh, you know some stuff i don't
    Atm best alternative places i know of are little johnny russells, wedgewood rooms and the one eyed dog. Got any other recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jensonb)
    EPIC! I HAVE to find this place!
    It's called Babylon, just above the Fleet pub! £1.99 double vodka redbulls and such

And clubwise, I like Waster at Envy, there's a new night at Walkabout by the same people which is similar kind of music - so not really out of the way places, but not the same old Eskimo 11 student night stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It's called Babylon, just above the Fleet pub! £1.99 double vodka redbulls and such
    Awesome, cheers, will definitely check it out :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    For sure I'll be tearing up all the night clubs til I find my favorites...that is what Freshers is for, lol

ReputationRep:

And clubwise, I like Waster at Envy, there's a new night at Walkabout by the same people which is similar kind of music - so not really out of the way places, but not the same old Eskimo 11 student night stuff.
    Have you been to Delight on Monday at Route 66? It's by the same people but a bit heavier...in semester 1 i went there pretty much every week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.