Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cravendale)
    8. Well stocked library

9. Many available computers

10. Parks - Ravlin park, Victoria park....

11. loads of sports societies

12. loads of non sports societies

13. cheap drinks and food in the Union

14. lots of student nights

15. Albert road - the place to go for pub crawls

16. very easy links to London

17. Gigs at the Wedge, Pyramids, Guildhall....

18. Comedy venues, Gunwharf, Guildhall, Wedge....

19. 50m swimming pool (very uncommon in the UK)

20. Sports facilities in general, lots of gyms, athletics tracks, swimming...

21. Personal tutors for advice

22. Modern facilities

You just described most university's.
    Nothing really special at Portsmouth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siQ)
    No, I think youre wrong there
    Another thing he forgot to add was IWLP.

How many Universities do you know that offer free, uncredited language classes to all students?

Also, how many Universities are there that have more societies/clubs that Portsmouth?

Apart from London, how many places do you know that has a place like Albert Road?

I've been to several Unis and none have had the amount of accessibility regarding Computers as Portsmouth

So go on, what do other Unis have that Portsmouth doesnt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siQ)
    What's wrong with being an average uni anyway?
    Portsmouth does have it's perks - albert road is amazing, the free bus service certainly unique, and i could list small things i like about it but it wouldn't be meaningful to everyone.

Portsmouth has what most people want in a university lifestyle - a decent mainstream nightlife (provided by eskimo 11), cheap takeaways, girls/guys, cheap shopping places, a good entertainment complex (cinema, bowling, pool, etc) etc along with a good alternative and electronic scene.

Incidentally, my housemate's doing pharmaceutical sciences this year and will be transferring to your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Have you been to Delight on Monday at Route 66? It's by the same people but a bit heavier...in semester 1 i went there pretty much every week.
    Yep, was a regular there pretty much every week last year and last semester, but now Waster's our regular night, and Delight is once in a while!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    The best thing about Aqua is that the are consistently priced, and reliable.

OMG YOU ARE ALAN PARTRIDGE

ReputationRep:
    Wedgewood rooms and everything down Albert Road. I moved here for Uni in 2008 and have lived her all over the Summer/Xmas/Easter breaks. Never moving back home--I adore Southsea!

ReputationRep:
    why are people biging up albert road? I have lived here my whole life an Albert Road is ok at best. It's just half run down high street and the other half is pubs of which only 3 are any good. Gunwarf and down guildhall walk are the places to go and where you get those classic student nights.

Admittedly the wedge is good for a gig or stand up show but tbh Albert road has a crappy atmosphere.

Pompey's main selling feature is the fact were one of the driest places in the UK and warmest + the fact we're surrounded by water and everything is within walking/quick bus distance because its an island.

The uni i'd say is just above average and thats reflected in the uni listings on performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzza798)
    The uni i'd say is just above average and thats reflected in the uni listings on performance.
    Haven't we dropped to 90th or something ridiculous overall this year?

ReputationRep:
    put them as my firm choice and can't wait to go.
    I went down there for an open day in October and loved it, there seemed to be quite a lot to do let alone what you could do with all the societies and that.

Thing is I don't think it matters where you go, the time you have at uni depends on the person and what they're willing to do.

ReputationRep:
    why are people biging up albert road? I have lived here my whole life an Albert Road is ok at best. It's just half run down high street and the other half is pubs of which only 3 are any good. Gunwarf and down guildhall walk are the places to go and where you get those classic student nights.

Admittedly the wedge is good for a gig or stand up show but tbh Albert road has a crappy atmosphere.

Pompey's main selling feature is the fact were one of the driest places in the UK and warmest + the fact we're surrounded by water and everything is within walking/quick bus distance because its an island.

Some people love Albert Road because it's a different scene than the one in Guildhall walk. Most students are fine going to Liquid and other pubs down there. However many alternative people prefer rock/metal/jazz or what not nights down on Albert Road, Portsmouth caters for all. It's just a matter of your taste, I hate Guildhall walk places for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    Some people love Albert Road because it's a different scene than the one in Guildhall walk. Most students are fine going to Liquid and other pubs down there. However many alternative people prefer rock/metal/jazz or what not nights down on Albert Road, Portsmouth caters for all. It's just a matter of your taste, I hate Guildhall walk places for example
    oh yh Albert road is good and a bit more casual. Love going to the wedge and Johnny Russle's but there's just not that much else. Yh, guild hall walk can offer a few 'chavy' clubs but there's loads like fuzzy duck and a few more bars that arent all chaved up like liquid. I personally hate liquid. Gunwarf i feel is best as i just feel like the people are better and your not gona get stabbed on the way home

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate liquid.
    Same.
    Thankfully there are alternatives. Mondays in Pure and Fridays in Envy are really good if you're into rock/metal/punk etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    Same.
    Thankfully there are alternatives. Mondays in Pure and Fridays in Envy are really good if you're into rock/metal/punk etc
    Waster on fridays at Liquid isn't really that great, wouldn't say it's metal, just indie/rock kind of thing, only a few metalheads go there when bored. But good if you're into that kind of thing, there tends to be a lot of mixed people from 'normal' to 'alternative'

To those who want metal and similar check out events at The Lounge. They have huge nights, like Subversion (metal), Nightshift (industrial/ebm/goth), Pandemonia (Fetish night with a dungeon and dance floor playing metal/industrial/goth).
    There's also Thunderdome night that's popular.
    Deco is always full of metalheads.
    Drift In the City on wednesdays, although it's closed for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitic)
    Waster on fridays at Liquid isn't really that great, wouldn't say it's metal, just indie/rock kind of thing, only a few metalheads go there when bored. But good if you're into that kind of thing, there tends to be a lot of mixed people from 'normal' to 'alternative'

To those who want metal and similar check out events at The Lounge. They have huge nights, like Subversion (metal), Nightshift (industrial/ebm/goth), Pandemonia (Fetish night with a dungeon and dance floor playing metal/industrial/goth).
    There's also Thunderdome night that's popular.
    Deco is always full of metalheads.
    Drift In the City on wednesdays, although it's closed for now.
    Waster seems to vary each week. Sometimes it can be really metal orientated while other weeks it's more indie and sometimes they play dubstep
    Deco is :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i wil get n offer from Portsmouth, its my second choice. One of the main reasons was the lists of sports of offer, what are the facilities like (haven been o an open day yet). Also what's bateson halls like, probs my first choice for accommodation if i firm it. Mabye some pics:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_rondizzle)
    Also what's bateson halls like, probs my first choice for accommodation if i firm it. Mabye some pics:rolleyes:
    When there's a fire alarm in Harry Law Halls (opposite Bateson) late at night, we sing the Bateson is a s**thole song. There's a reason for that lol

ReputationRep:
    i think Bateson is the cheapest for a reason!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2011

University open days

1. University of Portsmouth
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.