Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AMerican studies & English- Joint or Single Degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've got into Sussex with an unconditional offer in American Studies and English joint degree or American studies degree by itself. I was wondering two things: Firstly which one do people think would be a better degree? Secondly, would it be possible if i took the joint degree to drop the English side if i found it too challenging? I achieved an A in English but im still not happy with my ability and am worried degree level would be too hard for me. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 2nd year and I know some people who dropped their joint degree during their first year or at the start of their 2nd, as well as people who picked up a joint one instead! Personally, I totally changed my degree and went into 2nd year studying totally different subject...........I think Sussex is flexible, but obviously I can't give you 100% on this as everyone has different circumstances. Can't comment on what would be considered a 'better' degree, but if you didn't know already, be aware that if you're taking a single degree (so just the American Studies) you have to take elective classes (which could be an English course, or something totally different) alongside your degree anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that sussex is flexible about this kind of thing, especially if you're swapping between departments of the same school in my experience (couple of my friends switched from philosophy to history and it was really easy to do). i can't say i know much about english lit as a degree but i do an elective in american studies and have been doing it for two years so i know a bit about that-
    firstly, all the courses ive taken in it (i take one module a term in it so this is my 4th course with the department) are great, theyre really interesting and the lecturers approach the topics in quite a modern way like for 'the look of america' module i did they showed a different film every week from the period we were doing, and looked at art and literature too to see how the portrayal of america has changed.

secondly, being a literature fan will definitely help you, as a lot of the course im taking this year (american in the 20th century) revolves around american literature, so if you're looking for a compromise, you can do literature in american studies, but can you study america in english lit...

thirdly, being a history student and therefore not being part of the transfer scheme, i have to say im SO jealous of the american studies people going off to american/canadian unis for a year next year- theres so many on offer and i think sussex really works hard to get you your first choice. i guess thats a huge thing to think about whether you want to do when weighing up the two courses- its going across the world for a year and starting over, that should take some thought before committing to!

hope that helped xxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.