Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the effects of smoking in pregnancy last more than one generation? Watch

Say if a girl had a mother (call her marj) who smoked like a chimney in the house all through her childhood..and the girl (call her ann) grew up, got pregnant (but never smoked herself) and had a baby (call her adele) could this baby be harmed to any extent? Say if the smoke damaged anns arteries/blood pressure whatever could this be passed on to her baby?

ReputationRep:
    Well when you're getting lots of passive smoke you're effectively smoking yourself (indeed I believe due to the filter tips only being on the smokers' end it might in some ways be worse but I'm not really sure) so it's really quite likely to be ~ as common to happen as if you smoke yourself.

ReputationRep:
    i cant see any logical reason why it would make any difference whatsoever.

unless when ann was pregnant with adele, she was still living with marj. then the whole passive smoking business kicks in

(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

unless when ann was pregnant with adele, she was still living with marj. then the whole passive smoking business kicks in
    I thought that maybe marj's smoking could maybe damage her daughter ann's bloodpressure, reproductive eggs resulting in adele being less healthy than she should have been.

I very stand to be corrected on this, but I don't think it's realistically possible for systemic genetic damage to be done to an embryo post-conception [if that makes sense], so there's no risk of the damage being inherited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

I would agree with you completely, would imagine passive smoking would be the reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible but I wouldn't declare it a certainty, there's a hell of a lot of different things that can affect blood pressure. High Sodium intake for example would have a much greater effect than anything in utero.

ReputationRep:
    why didn't marj smoke outside. Irresponsible mother.

According to this it can affect health

http://hydra.usc.edu/scehsc/press%20...e_20050411.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    why didn't marj smoke outside. Irresponsible mother.
    Thats what I wondered

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.