Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what grades ( A levels ) did you get and what do they want ?
    Is it really true that there are 250 applications for 30 places ? I would believe that it would be really not that competitive as few people want to do this at my school ( the only one from 200 pupils etc. ) ?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There was a high demand for the course this year so id imagine its that if not higher. Its not a walk in the park but if you are keen to show you want to learn and this is your focus im sure you will have no trouble.

I would say its very competitive, not from all schools, of course not everyone will be like minded but from where I come from doing a course like this is quite suprising and one should take the opportunity.

Good luck getting in its a really good course

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied to every university tht does Ethical hacking, and i have an offer from everyone, apart from Abertay Dundee.. who haven't replied yet. So i'm guessing there finding it hard to narrow down the offers. Leeds met however, cancelled their course so...

Ive decided to go to Northumbria University to study it.

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon All,

Just come across this thread while looking for details on the course. I am returning to education September 2011 and sitting the aforementioned course at Abertay after receiving an unconditional offer.

I have been up to the area a couple of times, my last being a mere week ago, and have pretty much sorted a private rental for my time in Dundee.

I know this is a fairly old, and ongoing thread but I was curious as to what current students found of the course, and whether the material was as anticipated?

If there are any graduates of previous years still monitoring the forums it, I feel, would be greatly advantageous to hear of how you got on stepping out into the real world and finding work in this field?

Cheers for now, and we'll probably see some of you in the coming months.

TTFN

Jody

ReputationRep:
    i'm on the course and i'm just coming to the end of my first year.
    course material is a lot easier than what i expected but coming straight out of college it's probably for the best too much partying.

1st semester was pretty dull for me having come from a fairly knowledgable background in computing. but the 2nd semester we have "personal projects" where you get to spread your wings a little.

I'm heavily involved in the ethical hacking society (as far as i know were the only uni with a ethical hacking society) we meet fortnightly and it's safe to say I've learned far more there than in class.

I think when asking about course content for any course it's based on what u read around your subject rather than strictly learning from the syllabus.

but yeah ask away feel free to pm.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, indeed I too would be very interested how the people who graduated in 2010 ( having started in 2006 ) got on and what the job market was like for them etc. !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulanula)
    Yes, indeed I too would be very interested how the people who graduated in 2010 ( having started in 2006 ) got on and what the job market was like for them etc. !
    As far as I know, there hasn't been any graduates from the degree yet - it only started in 2008 (I think, might have been 07) and it's a Scottish 4year degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r74n)
    i'm on the course and i'm just coming to the end of my first year.
    course material is a lot easier than what i expected but coming straight out of college it's probably for the best too much partying.

1st semester was pretty dull for me having come from a fairly knowledgable background in computing. but the 2nd semester we have "personal projects" where you get to spread your wings a little.

I'm heavily involved in the ethical hacking society (as far as i know were the only uni with a ethical hacking society) we meet fortnightly and it's safe to say I've learned far more there than in class.

I think when asking about course content for any course it's based on what u read around your subject rather than strictly learning from the syllabus.

but yeah ask away feel free to pm.

It's the same with CGT don't worry - they are excepting people from different backgrounds so they need to essentially establish a baseline where everyone know's a minimum amount - it's still a wee bit slow this year although people do struggle in 2nd year the main aspect for us though was the coursework opened up alot allowing you to go and learn more and do something a bit extra - can't speak for how that would apply to hacking though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've recieved a unconditional offer for this course and have put it down as a firm choice, the only problem ive come across so far is finding the appropriate accommodation. Alloway Halls seems cheap and aimed towards first year students but its quite far from the university and i hardly know the city at all. I'm also considering Meadowside Halls which is incredibly close to the uni. Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't worry about knowing the city - it'll happen quick enough ^^

Alloway is a bit out from Uni but from what I've heard its good, Meadowside I've actually been too and it is pretty good too although I do believe its typically reserved for mature students, obviously Opal is nice if you can afford it, there are also a range of halls run by private companies that may be worth a look.

http://www.crosslanestudentliving.co.uk/oldmill.html
    http://www.thehubapartments.co.uk/

Honestly though I think most students are pretty good at making the best of any situation so wherever you live you'll have a great time as long as its within your budget

Good Luck with First Year btw

ReputationRep:
    i stay in the old mill if you got some questions

ReputationRep:
    Oy Oy R74n Didn't see you on here.

Aye it's a tricky enough course. First year is just the introduction at the first symester, some programming and a legal class of "Don't mess up and do something stupid or your screwed" kind of feel a well as a laymans basics in what each type of malware is so you don't call everything a "Virus"

Second is where it gets harder, more hands on and the personal Projects as said before give you a nice bit of freedom... just don't pick something to insane that leaves you working near 2 months and then refuses to work full stop >.>

Crashed in Opal1 but I had friends in all accommodation, hit either me or R74n there if you have questions... P.s

He's the Conventry lad you'll see at Freshers who can drink you under the table and will be guarding it during Freshers for a certain society

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that bit of insight but what about the competition and the entry requirements. Is passion for the subject pretty much all that is needed or will the computer turn you down automatically if you don't get the CCC that is needed from A level students etc. ?

What about the interview and when will this be for applicants for 2012 now ? Did you by any chance get an unconditional offer or the like ? Is it really hard to get into here ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chufty)
    hello, im currently on eth hacking & CMS and did my interview this time last year. the people interviewing you are very friendly (probably natalie or colin) and although i saw some people in suits at my interview (really!) i just wore my normal clothes, although i did have a haircut and stuff especially as to look smart

the questions were mainly just about the jump from college to university, past experiences and motives. stuff im sure you would expect but really just try to get across you have a passion for the subject and that you have done related stuff before. surprisingly there were clearing spots this year even though i had heard it was one of the most difficult courses to get on at Abertay; it seemed like of the 250 something that applied last year only 35 or so actually got accepted and 5 through clearing.

good luck with it and i'm sure if you're genuine you'll get a spot. feel free to pm me if you have any course specific or Dundee specific questions as I've also lived here all my life.
    Colin is a legend!

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for MSc Ethical Hacking and Computer Security,
    I am an over-seas student, so my interview was by telephone,
    I couldn't sleep the night before,and I was so stressed, when they called,
    and I heard the voice of the interviewer, I forgot my stress,He spoke in a way that made me so calm, His questions were these:
    1. Why Ethical hacking
    2. Why MSc
    3. What kind of difficulties do you see in studying MSc
    4. Where do you want to work after the course (Academic,A big company,or my own career)
    5. What security related jobs did I do before,and did I work with a network monitoring system or not
    6.Asked about my degree's final project and what programming languages did I study at my undergraduate degree
    7. And at the end, he asked me if I have any question about the university and the course.

Today,and I mean after 24 hours after my interview,They have Emailed me that the Interview was successful.
    The last step for me is gaining a VISA,Tier 4.
    Hope to see you next september.

My interviewer was Colin,and yes He is LEGENDARY

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.