Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people with intellectual interests looked down on? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Possible reasons:
    1. Your social circle consists entirely of chavs
    2. Your supposed intellectual interests are confined to UFOlogy, crop circles, chemtrails, mind control conspiracies and the Martian Face.
    Haha! This!

ReputationRep:
    One common thing is for commoners to call intellectual pursuits 'gay'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think intellectual interests are looked down on at all, but as others have stated, people who only have those interests for the sake of feeling superior are -- and rightly so.

How do you define "common or shallow"? Just because an interest is common doesn't make it bad. Similarly, superficial interests aren't inherently bad either, especially not solely because they don't appeal to you.

I have interests that most people would consider to be nerdy, and I do shun some popular things, but not because they're popular, but because I just don't like them. That doesn't make me better than those who do see the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up and tell us what interests you have?

Reading?

Debating?

Writing?

:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Right, this coming from the guy who said that bullying is correct and that there is nothing morally "wrong" with it, even though morality is not relative. I want this guy off TSR

However, I will answer this thread because I think other members will benefit from it.

Here's why it happens. The minus signs mark factors outwith your control. The plus signs mark factors within your control that you may be guilty of and should do something about if you want to avoid the problem.

- The biggest one is that people just want to seem funny to their friends, and they do so by making fun of you. It's very likely they wouldn't actually give a crap otherwise.

- Furthermore, you're an easy target- there are very few people who will defend your interests. If you turned around ****ged off football, there would be an outrage. ****ging off D&D will have no such outrage. This factor and the first factor are the reasons for most bullying. Weakest of the herd and all that.

- It's generally the culture we have that interests outwith the social norm are weird and inferior, the people who follow them are weird and lacking in social skills, and thus it's socially acceptable to hate on them. We're raised with the idea that activites that are more common are superior. Many parents actively foster this idea in their children.

+ You may act snobbish and think you're superior as a result of your intellectual activities, and a lot of self-titled "intellectuals" go around thinking this, and it's abhorrent. If you go around acting like you're so much better than other people, expect them to try and exert some superiority over you. You are not any better just because your interests are more uncommon or more mentally challenging.

- However, people may get the misconception that you think that you're superior to them, even when you don't, and will bully you for that. Kind of a no-win situation if that happens

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

OP...no one believes you are an intellectual, so stop pretending.

ReputationRep:
    A bit stupid saying people don't like you based on intellectual interests when your posting it on a student forum full of students who by virtue of being students are I would hope somewhat intellectual.

Whatever reasons people look down upon you for, it probably has preciously little to do with your interests (unless it involves necrophilia or something).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Shut up and tell us what interests you have?

Reading?

Debating?

Writing?

:unsure:

Reading social sciences books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    :facepalm:

OP...no one believes you are an intellectual, so stop pretending.

Do you know me, madam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Right, this coming from the guy who said that bullying is correct and that there is nothing morally "wrong" with it, even though morality is not relative. I want this guy off TSR

However, I will answer this thread because I think other members will benefit from it.

Here's why it happens. The minus signs mark factors outwith your control. The plus signs mark factors within your control that you may be guilty of and should do something about if you want to avoid the problem.

- The biggest one is that people just want to seem funny to their friends, and they do so by making fun of you. It's very likely they wouldn't actually give a crap otherwise.

- Furthermore, you're an easy target- there are very few people who will defend your interests. If you turned around ****ged off football, there would be an outrage. ****ging off D&D will have no such outrage. This factor and the first factor are the reasons for most bullying. Weakest of the herd and all that.

- It's generally the culture we have that interests outwith the social norm are weird and inferior, the people who follow them are weird and lacking in social skills, and thus it's socially acceptable to hate on them. We're raised with the idea that activites that are more common are superior. Many parents actively foster this idea in their children.

+ You may act snobbish and think you're superior as a result of your intellectual activities, and a lot of self-titled "intellectuals" go around thinking this, and it's abhorrent. If you go around acting like you're so much better than other people, expect them to try and exert some superiority over you. You are not any better just because your interests are more uncommon or more mentally challenging.

- However, people may get the misconception that you think that you're superior to them, even when you don't, and will bully you for that. Kind of a no-win situation if that happens

I do not at all believe that bullying is morally right. Who would think that?

Moreover, the reasons you have given seem plausible, so kudos for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    You are a pseudo-intellectual douche bag rather than an intellectual.
    You are inarticulate and completely unable to provide any evidence of intellect.
    Your failure to capitalise correctly does not help either.
    Language is context-dependent, is this not so?

Personally, whether people here capitalise or not is immaterial to me. Healthy people generally take a laissez-faire attitude to life, so it is only you who is feeling "upset" at this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I do not at all believe that bullying is morally right. Who would think that?

Moreover, the reasons you have given seem plausible, so kudos for that.
    You said it yourself, SEVERAL TIMES You posted a thread about bullying, and after people tried to explain to you why it's wrong, you kept refuting them and claiming that there's nothing wrong with it at all, because you are under no obligation to respect people, so it's okay to bully them. Get your multiple personalities sorted out mate, because you post some pretty abhorrent stuff on here and then show no memory of ever having posted it. You are seriously the most ****** up user on this entire site. At first I just thought it was several people all using the one account, but I've seen you post completely contradicting posts within minutes of each other.

ReputationRep:
    Language is context-dependent, is this not so?

Personally, whether people here capitalise or not is immaterial to me. Healthy people generally take a laissez-faire attitude to life, so it is only you who is feeling "upset" at this.
    Your basis for this being?

ReputationRep:
    I've never been looked down on.
    People just find it funny that I would sit on a bus reading Leviathan or some other abstract book :eek:

However I never really talk about my schooling. If someone asks me what I study I usually just say drama/history/media or something of the sort as people look flabbergasted when I say 8 A levels lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I've never been looked down on.
    People just find it funny that I would sit on a bus reading Leviathan or some other abstract book :eek:

However I never really talk about my schooling. If someone asks me what I study I usually just say drama/history/media or something of the sort as people look flabbergasted when I say 8 A levels lol.
    This. It's more people notice unusual things like they wouldn't take a second glance if you were reading something like Tolkien, Meyer or Rowling. But because it's something that is not typically popular, so people take notice. So it's more unusual than funny.

People with intellectual interests aren't looked down on, they are just unusual and noticed more because their past times aren't a typical thing for joe bloggs to do. They are not mainstream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Your basis for this being?
    It's common sense, by not worrying what other people do.

ReputationRep:
    r u gey?

ReputationRep:
    If interests are subjective, then why look down on intellectual interests? Does it make sense?
    That's double standards, you look down on most other people. In school and life in general anyone who looks down on people with intellectual interests is generally insecure.

ReputationRep:
    You are hanging with the wrong people, OP :p:
    I have what you may call 'intellectual interests' but I hope I'm not looked down upon :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    The main reason people would look down on those with intellectual interests would be because of jealousy.
    Much like why you look down on those with 'common and shallow' interests; your jealousy lies in being 'socially inept', for lack of a better term.

However, considering you seem like the kind of person who likes to think he is 'intellectual' - it's not jealousy. It's just relatively normal to despise the arrogant.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.