Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people with intellectual interests looked down on? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Because a lot of them are work shy, hypocritical, arrogant morons.
    if i am arrogant, so be it.

I'd rather retain my arrogance, over saying that nobody should care about the Haiti earthquake, or that people have a duty to mock fat people (or some such other standpoint symptomatic of unhealthy mental processing).

most younger people, nay most humans, hold some kind of vile views.

You would probably dismiss this point, but i don't care. If you want to delude yourself about the world being sweet, go ahead. I have no rational reason to care.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Common and shallow interests are not my thing, why is that wrong?

i am not jealous of anybody. Healthy people never are.
    You sound like a somewhat pretentious knob who likely sits with a book which is way over your head in coffee shops (Starbucks is too 'common', would have to be an independent chain) sneering at the 'common' people.

Joke is on you though because some of those 'common' people are more intellectual and deeper than yourself.
    They just don't act like such a douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    You sound like a somewhat pretentious knob who likely sits with a book which is way over your head in coffee shops (Starbucks is too 'common', would have to be an independent chain) sneering at the 'common' people.

Joke is on you though because some of those 'common' people are more intellectual and deeper than yourself.
    They just don't act like such a douche

Nobody has to approve of others. Whether you, me, or anybody else.

Do you hold negative traits, perchance? Or does God himself post on this forum?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has to approve of others. Whether you, me, or anybody else.

Do you hold negative traits, perchance? Or does God himself post on this forum?
    Which one are you ?

or

ReputationRep:
    Show me any person in the world who is different, and I shall cease commenting.

I understand younger people well. Most are either lookist, fattist, secretly racist/sexist/homophobic. I have voiced an aversion to commonness and shallowness (and thus shallow people), since they are at odds with my personality. What is wrong in that? Even adults hold aversions to other groups as well.

Again, in life one should be themselves. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    Q: Why are people with rubbish interests looked down on?
    A: Because their interests are rubbish.
    Define rubbish.

I'd like an appeal to logic, not some retard colloquial norm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Right, this coming from the guy who said that bullying is correct and that there is nothing morally "wrong" with it, even though morality is not relative. I want this guy off TSR

However, I will answer this thread because I think other members will benefit from it.

Here's why it happens. The minus signs mark factors outwith your control. The plus signs mark factors within your control that you may be guilty of and should do something about if you want to avoid the problem.

- The biggest one is that people just want to seem funny to their friends, and they do so by making fun of you. It's very likely they wouldn't actually give a crap otherwise.

- Furthermore, you're an easy target- there are very few people who will defend your interests. If you turned around ****ged off football, there would be an outrage. ****ging off D&D will have no such outrage. This factor and the first factor are the reasons for most bullying. Weakest of the herd and all that.

- It's generally the culture we have that interests outwith the social norm are weird and inferior, the people who follow them are weird and lacking in social skills, and thus it's socially acceptable to hate on them. We're raised with the idea that activites that are more common are superior. Many parents actively foster this idea in their children.

+ You may act snobbish and think you're superior as a result of your intellectual activities, and a lot of self-titled "intellectuals" go around thinking this, and it's abhorrent. If you go around acting like you're so much better than other people, expect them to try and exert some superiority over you. You are not any better just because your interests are more uncommon or more mentally challenging.

- However, people may get the misconception that you think that you're superior to them, even when you don't, and will bully you for that. Kind of a no-win situation if that happens
    I will add a point that is superior to all the points you have listed here.

+ People are different, and different things interest different people. Yes, there are "colloquial norms" no matter how idiotic there are but people do what makes them happy in life. You would become unstuck in life should you assume that all others enjoy the same things as you do, or perceive things the same way as you do.

Now, please present some logic to dismiss this point. Or are you essentially saying people are too immature and mentally limited to realise that everybody is on a different level to them?

Do you baulk when somebody doesn't like a colloquial norm? If you had a friend who liked opera or jazz, is this "rip the piss time"? Isn't the idea that everybody shares the same interests, or sees things the same way, a concept that only autistic people and children hold? Just saying, is all.

ReputationRep:
    Define rubbish.

I'd like an appeal to logic, not some retard colloquial norm.
    Your mum. :cool:

I was probably wrong to say that it isn't interesting, because if you find it interesting then I suppose it is.

ReputationRep:
    if i am arrogant, so be it.

I'd rather retain my arrogance, over saying that nobody should care about the Haiti earthquake, or that people have a duty to mock fat people (or some such other standpoint symptomatic of unhealthy mental processing).

most younger people, nay most humans, hold some kind of vile views.

You would probably dismiss this point, but i don't care. If you want to delude yourself about the world being sweet, go ahead. I have no rational reason to care.
    I didn't say you and I personally have nothing against learned people, I consider myself one.

But it is true that a lot of academics ARE workshy and up themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you and I personally have nothing against learned people, I consider myself one.

But it is true that a lot of academics ARE workshy and up themselves.
    Workshy? I don't get what you mean.

By the by, I'm not an academic.

ReputationRep:
    ... Oh look your crazy alter-ego is back. How I missed him -_-

Your point is unrelated to my list. My list was a reason of why it does happens... your point is why it shouldn't happen, which is irrelevant, because no one here is disputing why it shouldn't happen.

Why would I present logic to dismiss that point? Do you have me confused with someone else? :confused: Yes, I am essentially saying that.

Wait , why the hell is this addressed to me?! I'm completely against treating people badly for any reason, leave alone treating them badly for their interests. Yes, I loathe and despise the idea that if you do not follow a colloquial norm you are ridiculed. Yes, it's stupid that people expect others to derive happiness from the same things as them. Yes, I'd encourage people to do pursue whatever interests they gain happiness from- sport, music, reading, whatever. Go rant at someone else.
    As stated previously, i couldn't give a rat's arse about colloquial norm. Healthy people generally don't believe in them, and any adult who does...well they probably have an IQ of 30 or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    Depends what you mean by "intellectual interests", would be better if you rephrase the thread to "geeky interests", then I might know what you mean
    lol.

you people amuse me with your schizophrenic attitudes.

You say my interest in being intellectually inquisitive is sad, but i cannot say having shallow-minded interests is not sad?

I'm convinced you people live in bubbles, and see all things in sweetness. The reality is that people are people. When don't you look down your nose at people, i would like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Workshy? I don't get what you mean.

By the by, I'm not an academic.
    I say it because there are plenty of people who spend their lives getting master, doctorates, etc. who then don't get a real job with them.

ReputationRep:
    My objection was to you ranting at me. I'm aware you don't care about colloquial norms. I think I've made it quite clear I am equally unconcerned with colloquial norms.

Well, the MAJORITY of people I know think people should stick to colloquial norms, so I guess they're all unhealthy and have an IQ of below 30. Seriously, just throwing childish insults at people isn't going to make them think. Tried actualy explaining it to people? Cos I have to many people and they always shut up afterwards.
    which majority is this? I guess it is people with IQs of 30. do you work in a special school or something?

I think we've affirmed if anyone's schizophrenic around here, it's you
    lol... ok.

ReputationRep:
    I say it because there are plenty of people who spend their lives getting master, doctorates, etc. who then don't get a real job with them.
    Ok. well, good for them. how they lives their lives is none of my concern.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. well, good for them. how they lives their lives is none of my concern.
    Heeey...I remember you! You're the one I called a psychopath (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post23446909) and had a lack of empathy. Good to see you're keeping it up! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Heeey...I remember you! You're the one I called a psychopath (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post23446909) and had a lack of empathy. Good to see you're keeping it up! :yep:
    How people I don't know live their lives IS of no logical concern to me. Why shouldn't it be? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How people I don't know live their lives IS of no logical concern to me. Why shouldn't it be? :confused:
    I apologise. I should have clarified/read properly before posting. Do you feel pity for someone who has worked for no monetary gain for 3 years or more (on a good course) and then fails to get a job?

ReputationRep:
    not really, since i don't know them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I think its more people look down on snobby people who think they're better than other people because they're "intellectual"
    I can't help how I think.

What niceness do you purport?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.