Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So,I really need your help.I just cant solve this problem ... Here it is :

1) a,b,c,d are consecutive members of an arithmetic sequence.
    Prove that a*b*c*d + (b-d`)^4 is an exact square.

Note, that d` is the difference between any two consecutive members.It is very easy to take it for ''d'', which is member of the sequence

2) What is the value of the parameter m, for which the roots of the equation x^4-(3m+2)x^2 + m^2 = 0 are different and are part of an arithmetic sequence

I cannot stress enough how grateful I would be if you help me with these two..

ReputationRep:
    The first question, you're relying on the fact they're consecutive members of an arithmetic sequence. One which increases by a certain number each time. Which means you can write all 4 as q + {0, 1, 2, 3}*m, where m's the amount it increases by. To prove something like that, the usual way ends up being expand and simplify to show what you need, in this case that it's divisible by 4.

The second, you need to get an equation for m, then find what values satify it and can be put into the form the numbers of the sequence take.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Evil Monkey over the first question. Just write out the q's and m's and what you get should factorise.

On the second question, I'd note that it's really a quadratic in x^2. So the roots will appear in pairs. Say +/-a and +/- b. For those to be in arithmetic progression, I reckon b=3a so that b-a = a - (-a). So the equation must be (x^2 - a^2)(x^2 - 9a^2). Multiply out, equate coefficients and I get m=6. But does the second problem relate to the first?

ReputationRep:
    Further thought on first problem - writing your d' as x to avoid confusion, the four terms can be b-x,b,b+x,b+2x.

So (b-x)b(b+x)(b+2x) + (b-x)^4 has a factor of (b-x) before you start, which simplifies the algebra.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Ivan Stanchev)
    So,I really need your help.I just cant solve this problem ... Here it is :

1) a,b,c,d are consecutive members of an arithmetic sequence.
    Prove that a*b*c*d + (b-d`)^4 is an exact square.

Note, that d` is the difference between any two consecutive members.It is very easy to take it for ''d'', which is member of the sequence
    Have you written that down correctly?

Since b-d' is simply a.

Also, it's pretty easy to find a counter-example to show that it's not an exact square.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the problem is wrong.Thank you for your time, anyway
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Ivan Stanchev)
    2) What is the value of the parameter m, for which the roots of the equation x^4-(3m+2)x^2 + m^2 = 0 are different and are part of an arithmetic sequence
    For the second one:

If your roots are a, a+d, a+2d, a+3d, then I'd start by considering the sum of the roots of the quartic. This will allow you to work out the four roots in terms of "a".

Using the other coefficients will give you a couple of equations in a and m from which you can eliminate a to get a quadratic in m.....

I've not worked it all the way through as it's quite messy; there may be a trick to it that I'm missing).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.