Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My offer from Robinson College for Land Economy states three conditions:

- Get 40 points at IB (7/6/6 at HL)
    - Prove that i can pay for the whole course
    - Get a score of 7.0 or above in the IELTS

The IELTS is an exam for non-native speakers to test their English proficiency. I wonder why I'm being asked this because:

-I'm fluent
    -It's my first (and only) language
    -I have attended English-medium schools all my life
    -I got A* in both English Language and English Literature at GCSE
    -I'm doing A1 English HL for IB (predicted 7)

Has anyone else got the IELTS component in their offers?Could it be because I'm an international student? (Nationality: Indian). Should I contact Cambridge about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm1234)
    My offer from Robinson College for Land Economy states three conditions:

- Get 40 points at IB (7/6/6 at HL)
    - Prove that i can pay for the whole course
    - Get a score of 7.0 or above in the IELTS

The IELTS is an exam for non-native speakers to test their English proficiency. I wonder why I'm being asked this because:

-I'm fluent
    -It's my first (and only) language
    -I have attended English-medium schools all my life
    -I got A* in both English Language and English Literature at GCSE
    -I'm doing A1 English HL for IB (predicted 7)

Has anyone else got the IELTS component in their offers?Could it be because I'm an international student? (Nationality: Indian). Should I contact Cambridge about it?
    Pretty sure it's common for all UK universities to ask international students (from Asia at least, I'm not sure about the US) to sit for the IELTS.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it..
    all UK universities ask international students to take the IELTS...
    it doesn't matter if you did IB or any other syllabus..
    good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not contact the Admissions Tutor at Robinson and explain that English is your first language and that you've got good marks in English exams. It might just be a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Australian and they never asked me to sit this exam. I'm sure your English is as good as mine (got a 7 in IB A1 HL English too!) so contact them and tell them this. Surely they won't make you sit it just because you're from India if you speak it perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    there might have been a mistake. in my offer letter from imperial college, they asked me for an ielts score (i forgot what). the english exam in my country is odd - it takes 2 grades (one overall, the other grade is taken from one paper, and is counted as the gce o-level grade and is certified by ucles.) i emailed imperial college and they told me that i do not need to take the ielts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fyodor Bingoffsky)
    there might have been a mistake. in my offer letter from imperial college, they asked me for an ielts score (i forgot what). the english exam in my country is odd - it takes 2 grades (one overall, the other grade is taken from one paper, and is counted as the gce o-level grade and is certified by ucles.) i emailed imperial college and they told me that i do not need to take the ielts.
    Are you from Malaysia, by any chance?

Are you referring to the 1119 grade that's on the SPM cert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    I'm Australian and they never asked me to sit this exam. I'm sure your English is as good as mine (got a 7 in IB A1 HL English too!) so contact them and tell them this. Surely they won't make you sit it just because you're from India if you speak it perfectly.
    Yeah, its strange. I've actually lived my whole life in Hong Kong, it's just that I have an Indian passport.

I would have thought they realised my English is fine from all my qualifications... not to mention the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Pretty sure it's common for all UK universities to ask international students (from Asia at least, I'm not sure about the US) to sit for the IELTS.
    (Original post by andy786)
    don't worry about it..
    good luck!!
    I've got three other offers (Warwick, Nottingham, and Exeter). None of them have asked me to do the IELTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy786)
    don't worry about it..
    good luck!!
    I've got three other offers (Warwick, Nottingham, and Exeter). None of them have asked me to do the IELTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Why not contact the Admissions Tutor at Robinson and explain that English is your first language and that you've got good marks in English exams. It might just be a mistake.

Thanks for all your help guys. I've decided to do this.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from Malaysia, by any chance?

Are you referring to the 1119 grade that's on the SPM cert?
    Yes I'm from Malaysia. And I refer to the 1119 and GCE O-Level grades. Are you from taylor's college?

ReputationRep:
    That's nice I thought it was just the standard thing.. :p:

(Original post by Fyodor Bingoffsky)
    Yes I'm from Malaysia. And I refer to the 1119 and GCE O-Level grades. Are you from taylor's college?
    :eek: I got A's for those too.. Thank you thank you for letting me know That would make things alot easier, not having to sit for the IELTS

Nope, I'm from HELP :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's nice I thought it was just the standard thing.. :p:

:eek: I got A's for those too.. Thank you thank you for letting me know That would make things alot easier, not having to sit for the IELTS

Nope, I'm from HELP :p:
    no problem. which unis did you apply to and for which subject? btw do you know how many ppl got offers from oxbridge, imperial, lse and ucl in your college?

ReputationRep:
    Just curious. Are you a Singaporean? Your profile looks a lot like that of a guy I met at my interview. He did IB and applied to LE in Robinson, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.