Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    STEP am I good enough?

I'm thinking about taking STEP this year. I have a total of 63/100 for Mathematics A level(local syllabus) which is very much similar to STEP.
    the only difference is that each question is marked out of 100(so the total mark will be out of 1200 which is devided by 12 for grading purposes).

Can someone try these papers out and tell me if I can get 1,1 for STEP II and III considering my results at A Levels?

AL 2009 Pure Mathematics.pdf

AL 2009 Applied Mathematics.pdf

reps to anyone who can give me a review of these two exams(weight of the questions,difficulty etc.)

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty irrelevant how you did on some other exam - you need to try the STEP papers and see how you find them.

It's hard to tell from a single paper, but my gut feeling is that the questions you have posted are a little more "straightforward" than you would get on a STEP exam. That is, they involve similar amounts of manipulation, but with STEP you're more likely to need to find a 'trick' of some kind if you want to finish the question.

On the other hand, your marks are a bit higher than the equivalent % for grade 1's in STEP.

Most importantly: I'd say you can expect to drop 10 -15% or so looking at an exam format you're unfamiliar with. So if you've never looked at a STEP paper, I'd guess you'd do quite a bit worse than you "should". Conversely, people here looking at your papers are going to find them quite a bit harder because of the unfamiliarity.

Given the marks you've stated, I'd think you have a very good chance of getting 11 in STEP (or better) if you put some work into going through past papers. And at that point you'll have a much better understanding of your chances as well.

ReputationRep:
    hang on you mean you have 63% in maths? isnt that a C grade?
    also step III requires further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pattymanny)
    hang on you mean you have 63% in maths? isnt that a C grade?
    also step III requires further maths
    yes that's a C. Quite disappointing. But I have an A for Maths and Further Maths at CIE A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    simply download some past STEP papers. try them and see how you do. obviously it may take a bit of practice to get used to the style of questions.

but ideally if you are taking the STEP exams, you should be doing lots and lots of the past papers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As others have said, just do some past papers for STEP and find out for yourself. You know, Rocky Balboa style, only with maths exams.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies everyone..yes I will try some papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    As others have said, just do some past papers for STEP and find out for yourself. You know, Rocky Balboa style, only with maths exams.
    I love the analogy.
    If only other people saw it that way.:p:

ReputationRep:
    what is that a level maths local sylabus, it looks much harder than my a level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pattymanny)
    what is that a level maths local sylabus, it looks much harder than my a level maths.
    Yes it is kind of hard..with only a pass rate of 18%

ReputationRep:
    Are there any past paper websites for this syllabus as the questions tbh look quite interesting and fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze_Rebel_Mole)
    Are there any past paper websites for this syllabus as the questions tbh look quite interesting and fun?
    No I don't think there are any websites but if you can give your email address I can mail them. Give me some time to scan and get them on my computer though. Yes the questions are very interesting(when you're not the one doing the exam of course )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r2enigma)
    Yes it is kind of hard..with only a pass rate of 18%
    So how does the overall exam system work? What do "most people" take as far as maths exams go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    So how does the overall exam system work? What do "most people" take as far as maths exams go?
    well more than half fail of course. Top ranks of each district gain entry into local universitites(that are completely free). It's kind of complicated. Each student is given a Z-Score. Higher the z-score higher the rank. To get a higher z-score the student has to score high for the hardest papers of the respective year(the one with the lowest average). So a student who has 98,65,77 for Maths,Physics and Chemistry would have a higher rank than a student who has 65,87,88 for the same subjects as Maths is generally considered the hardest. Then there's the matter of district cut-off marks. Each district has different cut-off marks for each course which is calculated considering the educational facilities of the district. So someone who has a z-score of 1.7288 but has attended school in Colombo would have a lesser chance of getting into Engineering(which has the highest cut-off marks for entrance) than someone who has a score of 1.2457 from a rural area. It's really very complicated.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.