Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else feel nervous when walking into a packed lecture? watch

ReputationRep:
    that horrible nervous feeling when they walk into a packed lecture? With me if I walk in 10 minutes from time, there's still a good couple hundred of people sat down or so it feels that way. I prefer sitting at the back too as I sit with a mate up there and it's an immensely nervous feeling to walk in and see that everyone is sat there and it feeling like everyone is looking at you. It's coming to the point now that unless I go in about 15 minutes before the lecture starts I will avoid going to the lecture because I actually can't bare that awful nervousness anymore. Although when I've mentioned this to other people they seem to have no problems with it and not get nervous! Is it just me then or what?! Is it normal to get nervous in this situation? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Wait a sec, if you're sitting at the back, then surely not many peope are going to be looking at you? Unless there's only one entrance to your lec theatre.
    In mine, there's a front entrance and a back one, so it;s easier to slip in late.

Anyway, if there are so many people in the hall before you get there, then they're going to be talking to one another right? Yea, a few will give you a passing glance, but that's OK. People are naturally curious, of course they;re going to want to see who's entering a room they are in.

What's so bad about people looking at you? I guess it's normal to feel nervous about being under scrutiny by fellow pupils, but no one is going to be looking at you that closely.

You should walk in there with pride - you earnt your place at uni and you're paying to be in those lecture halls, so you're damn right going to walk in 5, 10, 15 minutes before lecs start and people can look if they want mebe?

ReputationRep:
    It's not when I'm sat down. It's the walk to the back from the entrance at the front. Even if I sat near the front it's still a long walk, it's an absolutely massive room.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the feeling... My previous uni (abroad) had a massive lecture hall, usually packed with literally 1000 students and the ones who were late had to run down the whole hall to find a seat :p: Or sit on the floor.

OP, your lecture hall is probably nothing like that, so why worry? You have the right to be there as much as everyone else! Don't let your nerves show and just keep on walking

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, everyone has to walk in at some point otherwise they wouldn't get there. Nobody cares who walks in late, and they probs don't even know/care who you are. So yeah.

ReputationRep:
    no never...if people wannna look and judge, they can go for it..!

Sometimes lucky when I was late 3 other people were just walking in, so it looked like I had a late bus

ReputationRep:
    God I would be the same if our lecture theatre didnt have a back entrance. But if u come before the lecture starts aren't most people talking and won't even notice you.

ReputationRep:
    I only tend to get anxious when I am walking in late [usually because my class before it has over run]. If the lecture hasn't started, people tend to be getting ready and talking and stuff rather than watching you walk to your seat.

I do prefer lecture theatres with entrances at the back definitely - the couple I am in most this year are more like the cinema where you walk along the side right to the front and then have to walk down the middle to get a seat.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't get nervous walking late into lectures because everybody is pre-occupied with listening to the lecture and it's common for people to wander in at different times. I'm much more nervous walking late into a seminar when there are about 10 people will all look at you and the tutor will want an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    The lecturer probably does.

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a **** about those looking at you. Have confidence in yourself, your going there to achieve your best and be succesful in furute. Dont be scared or nervou, i was like you before. Be strong and think to yourself forget anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kobe1991)
    Who gives a **** about those looking at you. Have confidence in yourself, your going there to achieve your best and be succesful in furute. Dont be scared or nervou, i was like you before. Be strong and think to yourself forget anybody else.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My lectures are always small, about 15-20 people so it doesn't bother me. I remember in one of the first year welcome lectures, with about 400 students, walking in late, no seat and my phone going off. That was rather embarassing!

ReputationRep:
    ye I know I shouldn't give a **** but there's so many people in the lecture hall, I can't help but feel all eyes are on me when I walk in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulP)
    ye I know I shouldn't give a **** but there's so many people in the lecture hall, I can't help but feel all eyes are on me when I walk in.
    Just take a deep breath, be brave and walk in And dont look at no one. You should be use to it by now. What uni you go to and what course out of interest?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.