Turn on thread page Beta

Do you support the Royal Family? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    people voted us in and gems loves it
    Have you seen the thread where she says she doesn't fancy you and you and her aren't an item at all, and how she's never met you or anythin?

Gember-gember is a cooler name, you have to agree. Well I dunno about cool... original perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, on the Royals debate-

Do you think the brutal murder (**sniggers**) of Pharos the corgi has increased your support for the Royal family in this troubled time?

ReputationRep:
    I think the UK should become a Republic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101mphfastball)
    I think the UK should become a Republic.
    um who gets to own the crown jewels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

You don't have to get rid of the Royal family, they just become less important, and the coutry changes it constitution and becomes a Republic instead of a Judicial Monacy (correct term I believe). Afterall they can be good for tourism, many of my fellow citizens seem to like coming and staring at Buckingham palace..................So they still get the crown jewels............that or put them on show and make people pay to look at em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Leave 'em in the Tower so that tourists can see 'em. As for ownership, should be given to the state.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to get rid of the Royal family, they just become less important, and the coutry changes it constitution and becomes a Republic instead of a Judicial Monacy (correct term I believe). Afterall they can be good for tourism, many of my fellow citizens seem to like coming and staring at Buckingham palace..................So they still get the crown jewels............that or put them on show and make people pay to look at em.
    I tnink thats what we have now anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I tnink thats what we have now anyway...
    Except the UK is still a Monachy........................

ReputationRep:
    Except the UK is still a Monachy........................
    In name only my friend, in name only...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Type of govrenment though is common to a Monarchy or almost any commonwealth nation. Although some folks do say Mr.Blair thinks he's a president.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I wouldn't say that exactly. The monarchy is still a highly respected part of Britain and although a lot of it's more obscure traditions may need some revision, I don't think it should be abolished.
    By having just the concept of a King/Queen gives a lot of people something to show pride in, not for necessarily the individual person but what they stand for, this country. This is often overlooked and the irrelevant financial costs discussed which are easily covered by the tourism generated by the family. I wouldn't object to a 'streamlining' of the royal family though, removing such minor royals which usually provide no purpose in serving/representing the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Although some folks do say Mr.Blair thinks he's a president.
    Mr Blair is a pillock. A wannbe president.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Then it's a good thing Mr. Blair will never be president of the UK. Europe on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So I guess you don't like Mr.Blair, but then not many people do like their president or national ruler or organization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Then it's a good thing Mr. Blair will never be president of the UK. Europe on the other hand...
    *shudders at the thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    *shudders at the thought...
    Then Cherie would be first lady, and Hilary Clinton (who will be US president at the time) can engage in an ellicit lesbian love affair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Then Cherie would be first lady, and Hilary Clinton (who will be US president at the time) can engage in an ellicit lesbian love affair.
    o_O

Wow, such creative thoughts from a medic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    o_O

Wow, such creative thoughts from a medic...

I sometimes worry about my 'creative' thoughts

ReputationRep:
    I hate having a royal family. Give the other families a chance to rule. The royal family get paid (as far as i can see) for just sitting there and deciding stuff. Apparantly, they (can't remember which one) get a servant to squirt their own toothpaste on the brush! I mean, come on! It would be far quicker to just do it yourself! Sometimes I think they must be just taking the piss out of these poor servants. When the queen or someone comes in the room, the servants have to hide. She thinks they're not worthy enough to be in her prescence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecjs)
    I hate having a royal family. Give the other families a chance to rule. The royal family get paid (as far as i can see) for just sitting there and deciding stuff. Apparantly, they (can't remember which one) get a servant to squirt their own toothpaste on the brush! I mean, come on! It would be far quicker to just do it yourself! Sometimes I think they must be just taking the piss out of these poor servants. When the queen or someone comes in the room, the servants have to hide. She thinks they're not worthy enough to be in her prescence!
    I suppose this is what you observed on your last visit to the royal household? The family no longer rule and decide stuff anyway, those privileges went long ago. They are (well the queen is) now seen as a figurehead to this country and the commonwealth, and if you look at the queen's official engagements diary for the last month or so you'll see that she coes far more than sit on her arse all day. But you're quite entitled to disagree with the whole concept.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.