Turn on thread page Beta

Do you support the Royal Family? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Well history does have relevance cos if the lands aren't rightfullu theirs and are ours then why should we be grateful for the tax on it? Surely history is one reason why we have the royals in the first place?! If we started again we would be stupid to go for a monarchy.
    Although the ownership of some property can be traced back to Edward the Confessor, The Crown Estate essentially dates from 1066. After the Norman Conquest, all the land belonged to William 'in right of The Crown' because he was King. Despite centuries of change in law and custom, the underlying ownership of The Crown still exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Although the ownership of some property can be traced back to Edward the Confessor, The Crown Estate essentially dates from 1066. After the Norman Conquest, all the land belonged to William 'in right of The Crown' because he was King. Despite centuries of change in law and custom, the underlying ownership of The Crown still exists.
    Although he gave away most of the land to other nobles, who in turn gave it away down the feudalism hierarchy. So in actual fact the queen does not own as much as she should

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Although he gave away most of the land to other nobles, who in turn gave it away down the feudalism hierarchy. So in actual fact the queen does not own as much as she should
    Large areas were granted to Nobles and Barons and the Estate fluctuated in size and value but by 1760, when George III acceded to the throne, the great landed asset had wasted away to a small area producing little income.
    By that time rates and taxes had become the prime source of revenue for the Country and executive power had become wholly vested in Parliament. An agreement was therefore reached that during George III's reign, The Crown Lands would be managed on behalf of the Government and the surplus revenue would go to the Exchequer. In return the King would receive a fixed annual payment - the Civil List. Since then, this agreement has, at the beginning of each reign, been repeated by every succeeding Sovereign.

ReputationRep:
    Large areas were granted to Nobles and Barons and the Estate fluctuated in size and value but by 1760, when George III acceded to the throne, the great landed asset had wasted away to a small area producing little income.
    By that time rates and taxes had become the prime source of revenue for the Country and executive power had become wholly vested in Parliament. An agreement was therefore reached that during George III's reign, The Crown Lands would be managed on behalf of the Government and the surplus revenue would go to the Exchequer. In return the King would receive a fixed annual payment - the Civil List. Since then, this agreement has, at the beginning of each reign, been repeated by every succeeding Sovereign.
    you sound like a history text book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    you sound like a history text book
    lol, history text books were first used to record important events in the summer of....

Sorry, just like to use fact as well as opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I like http://www.crownestate.co.uk/info/about.shtml for my information too

ReputationRep:
    google is one of my favourite pastimes when im in an argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    google is one of my favourite pastimes when im in an argument
    Well I didn't think you'd consider it off the top of my head. A successful 'argument' is based on choosing the right information to use to back up your statement as well as expressing opinions. I didn't actually get it from google, I was looking at another royal family thread on here a couple of days ago and there was a link there.

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of the queen's speech?

ReputationRep:
    twas ok

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't think you'd consider it off the top of my head. A successful 'argument' is based on choosing the right information to use to back up your statement as well as expressing opinions. I didn't actually get it from google, I was looking at another royal family thread on here a couple of days ago and there was a link there.
    you could at least have rewritten it in your own words

ReputationRep:
    It was trying to turn the war into something good, with all teamwork. A lot of it wasn't actually the Queen, so I feel cheated. If she can't speak for ten minutes, once every year, then what can she do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    It was trying to turn the war into something good, with all teamwork. A lot of it wasn't actually the Queen, so I feel cheated. If she can't speak for ten minutes, once every year, then what can she do?
    well you monkeys, if a lot of it was the queen all those republicans would claim look she is taking over again. THe PM tells her what to put in. She can not say to the people who have died, you died in vain in a silly and frivolous war because then people like you would take the mick. She is caught between a rock and a hard place. Losing either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    you could at least have rewritten it in your own words
    lol, are you insinuating that I have the time or patience to re-write a whole lot of prose about the queen? And doesn't that reflect the true values of the 'UK Learning' aspect of the forum....plagiarism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)

I thought it was quite a good speech under the circumstances. It was purposeful to take the focus off her for a few minutes and look at the former 'taboo' of our armed forces abroad. Certainly the people I've spoken to about it feel it was patriotic and improved public perception of the queen, even if for a few moments.

ReputationRep:
    I settled to to watch the Queen as I do every year, eagerly awaiting her wise words. After 2 mins I realised all she's gonna back on about is soldiers; not really my idea of entertainment. So I watched Channel4's alternative one with the wife swap couple. That was better and funnier !

ReputationRep:
    lol, are you insinuating that I have the time or patience to re-write a whole lot of prose about the queen? And doesn't that reflect the true values of the 'UK Learning' aspect of the forum....plagiarism
    gd point, i dont really care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    Who Here Actually Supports The Royal Family ....
    definatly not sister, royal family are a bunch of jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    Who Here Actually Supports The Royal Family ....
    I am going to marry into the royal family - so that i can be a princess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I am going to marry into the royal family - so that i can be a princess
    well i was figuring next in line close ness, but then id have to be gay, why cant we have any nice eligible english princesses, the ones we have, iv met and are like 10

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.