Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anon or delete, flatmates use this.

basically, last week i got rly stressed with the amount of work i have to do for uni.
    it's got no better, and we've been given more assignments to do.. but my flatmates dont help this.

three out of the six constantly have music blaring, so that i cant concentrate. the music goes on until 11pm at night, which is when i try to get to sleep as i have early lectures everyday.

last night they were laughing and screaming really loud until gone 5. so iv had no sleep at all. my chances of getting anything done now are really slim.

also, they leave all their dirty plates in the kitchen. plates from sunday are still there, in the sink, and it makes is incredibly hard for me to wash mine up. which means i dont have any plates left.

i bought bread on sunday; they used it.
    i bought milk; they made angel delight out of it.

they're constantly stealing my crisps and freezer food, claiming they'll pay it back, but never do.

and to add insult to injury, my boyfriend lives so far away that i can only see him every couple of weeks, and this stress is making me miss him a lot.

i just wanted to post this as a rant rly i dont expect many replies. but im really considering dropping out, as theres no way il be able to keep up with the work load if this carries on.

Why dont you just tell them to **** off? Its hardly being unreasonable if its your stuff

ReputationRep:
    OP, do you get along with them otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of utter *****. I admire you for keeping a cool head on things, as I would have strangled the *******s by now!

Find another house. Or buy a shotgun. That seems to be my answer to everything on this forum.

(Original post by punkyrocker)
    OP, do you get along with them otherwise?
    Yes, this is why I can't say anything to them! I don't want arguments about it, as I have to live with them for the rest of the year.. they're just almightily selfish sometimes.

& I forgot to say.. one of the lads left his music on over the weekend, went home, locked his door, and left it really loud so no1 could sleep then either.

We rang security n they never showed up.. we were just like :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

basically, last week i got rly stressed with the amount of work i have to do for uni.
    it's got no better, and we've been given more assignments to do.. but my flatmates dont help this.

three out of the six constantly have music blaring, so that i cant concentrate. the music goes on until 11pm at night, which is when i try to get to sleep as i have early lectures everyday.

last night they were laughing and screaming really loud until gone 5. so iv had no sleep at all. my chances of getting anything done now are really slim.

also, they leave all their dirty plates in the kitchen. plates from sunday are still there, in the sink, and it makes is incredibly hard for me to wash mine up. which means i dont have any plates left.

they're constantly stealing my crisps and freezer food, claiming they'll pay it back, but never do.

and to add insult to injury, my boyfriend lives so far away that i can only see him every couple of weeks, and this stress is making me miss him a lot.

i just wanted to post this as a rant rly i dont expect many replies. but im really considering dropping out, as theres no way il be able to keep up with the work load if this carries on.
    Sometimes you just have to be honest with them and say you don't like what they are doing. You don't have to start an argument over it, just something as simple as asking them to keep it down whilst you're trying to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is why I can't say anything to them! I don't want arguments about it, as I have to live with them for the rest of the year.. they're just almightily selfish sometimes.

& I forgot to say.. one of the lads left his music on over the weekend, went home, locked his door, and left it really loud so no1 could sleep then either.

We rang security n they never showed up.. we were just like :|
    Okay. For the food and cutlery/kitchen equipment thing, just take all your things into your room, and keep them there. Wash up only what you use, when you use it. If the only clean things in the kitchen are yours, I'd imagine it's just too tempting to them not to have to wash up their own stuff when yours is right there. You don't even have to say anything to your flatmates on this one, so it's non-confrontational, just do it when they're out. If your flatmates pick up on it just say you're a bit funny about cleaning, or that you kept losing things in the kitchen so you wanted to keep track of everything.

For the noise - all I can say is that you ask them nicely to turn it down. I had this problem last year, and I'd have to repeatedly tell my neighbour to turn his music down - he didn't catch on and start playing it quieter, he'd just turn it right up and wait for me to knock and ask him to turn it down (we're talking 'things jumping off the desk' bass). All you can do is ask them nicely, say you're really sorry but could they possibly play their music a little quieter as you have so many deadlines and early lectures and it's starting to stress you out. If they say no, then all you can do is anonymously ask security to come up and give a warning (if security are useless, call them continuously), and then if you want to definitely keep friends act just as shocked as them that someone called security on them (it could have been above, below, next flat, etc, but try to stay innocent).

I really feel for you OP, this kind of thing is student halls hell! I hope it gets sorted out for you. As for today, just go to your lectures, then come back, have a nap for a couple of hours, some coffee, then start your assignments. Honestly, it's not wasted time as you'll be zombiefied otherwise. :hugs:

Okay. For the food and cutlery/kitchen equipment thing, just take all your things into your room, and keep them there. Wash up only what you use, when you use it. If the only clean things in the kitchen are yours, I'd imagine it's just too tempting to them not to have to wash up their own stuff when yours is right there. You don't even have to say anything to your flatmates on this one, so it's non-confrontational, just do it when they're out. If your flatmates pick up on it just say you're a bit funny about cleaning, or that you kept losing things in the kitchen so you wanted to keep track of everything.

For the noise - all I can say is that you ask them nicely to turn it down. I had this problem last year, and I'd have to repeatedly tell my neighbour to turn his music down - he didn't catch on and start playing it quieter, he'd just turn it right up and wait for me to knock and ask him to turn it down (we're talking 'things jumping off the desk' bass). All you can do is ask them nicely, say you're really sorry but could they possibly play their music a little quieter as you have so many deadlines and early lectures and it's starting to stress you out. If they say no, then all you can do is anonymously ask security to come up and give a warning (if security are useless, call them continuously), and then if you want to definitely keep friends act just as shocked as them that someone called security on them (it could have been above, below, next flat, etc, but try to stay innocent).

I really feel for you OP, this kind of thing is student halls hell! I hope it gets sorted out for you. As for today, just go to your lectures, then come back, have a nap for a couple of hours, some coffee, then start your assignments. Honestly, it's not wasted time as you'll be zombiefied otherwise. :hugs:

The problem is they leave all their dirty dishes piled up in the sink so I can't wash mine either. So whether they use my dishes or not I still can't wash them :-(
    I've told them to turn their music down before, but with all three of them playing it it's hard to make them all do it

as for the nap and coffee idea.. im going to have to today. they have lectures this afternoon so i can have a sleep while they're out. i cant wait but hopefully il be able to sleep tonight as welll, as they are really taking the mick with it all now. we have a number of common rooms and a student union bar to make noise in, so why do it where people are trying to sleep..

its alright for them, all their lectures are in the afternoon, but literally ALL of mine are first thing and its a bloody pain!

ReputationRep:

That is a very cowardly thing to do. Snitching and then denying it? Get a backbone. Snitching will make the problem worse, and you will soon lose all your friends at uni. The reason why these flatmates walk over you is because you let them. You need to make a good first impression that you're not a walkover when you start uni, otherwise this will happen.
    If anybody did this to me I'd put them up against a wall and tell them they're not using any of my stuff ever and to keep their music down.

ReputationRep:
    Put some earphones in, classic fm, right off to sleep

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you. This sort of thing makes me want to live on my own when I'm at university.

my flatmates were like this last year, just start a fight

ReputationRep:
    Earplugs were my saviours in halls.

ReputationRep:
    if i were yu i wud jst tell em straight up >>get to **** i mean dey shudnt go bout treatin yur stuff lyk rubbish innit

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had real trouble with her flat mates "stealing" her food at uni. She bought a small work-top fridge to keep essentials in, and kept everything she could in her room, crisps, bread, canned goods etc. She also used to do all her washing up in her bathroom sink if the kitchen was a state.

As for the noise, personally I would ask them to stop, I know it's difficult, but you've actually only got 5 months of the year left, if it gets their backs up, who gives a ****, they're not worth having as friends if they can't turn their music down at night. Also, is there no where else you can go to study, the library or somewhere peaceful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    That is a very cowardly thing to do. Snitching and then denying it? Get a backbone. Snitching will make the problem worse, and you will soon lose all your friends at uni. The reason why these flatmates walk over you is because you let them. You need to make a good first impression that you're not a walkover when you start uni, otherwise this will happen.
    If anybody did this to me I'd put them up against a wall and tell them they're not using any of my stuff ever and to keep their music down.
    No, just don't deny it.
    People be immature. Snitching as a first resort is annoying but once you have exhausted diplomacy then go for it as 1) not you frineds if wont turn it down when you ask 2) Immature pricks for not turning it down when asked for a legitimate reason (sleep/work) and you don't want those sort of people as friends.

Thanks everyone you've all cheered me up a bit.
    Only 5 months to go I can't wait to move out of here.. everyone's just so selfish! I have said things a few times about it but it will get better for a day or so then just go bad.

Walked into the kitchen after my lecture today, and there are now dirty dishes from a fry up they made to add to the insult. Greaaat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_zaynah_786_x)
    if i were yu i wud jst tell em straight up >>get to **** i mean dey shudnt go bout treatin yur stuff lyk rubbish innit
    Sorry, but can you talk english, it does my head in!

Yehh see if you can do your work in the library most of the time. Say you'll do the washing up if they pay you. Then you'll get an income and have no reason to complain because they'll be room to wash up. But you just have to be stern with them and make sure you stand your ground otherwise they will walk all over you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone you've all cheered me up a bit.
    Only 5 months to go I can't wait to move out of here.. everyone's just so selfish! I have said things a few times about it but it will get better for a day or so then just go bad.

Walked into the kitchen after my lecture today, and there are now dirty dishes from a fry up they made to add to the insult. Greaaat.
    What's so hard about moving dishes out of the sink to wash your own? Go buy some washing up gloves, stick all theirs on the side and get on with it. Don't see the problem there.
    And asking them to stop using your pots and food is hardly unreasonable; if you feel like you can't say that to them then you can't really complain as they're just going to think its ok.

(Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    What's so hard about moving dishes out of the sink to wash your own? Go buy some washing up gloves, stick all theirs on the side and get on with it. Don't see the problem there.
    And asking them to stop using your pots and food is hardly unreasonable; if you feel like you can't say that to them then you can't really complain as they're just going to think its ok.
    exactly lol or u could always use the sink in ur room/bathroom

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.