Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What leeway is there in which tyres I can use on my rims?

The stock tyres are 255/40/ZR19's but I can get some used Pirelli 275/40/ZR19's at a very good price - will they fit? Their speed rating is the same and the load rating is greater on the Pirellis - so that is all fine. I'm wondering about the width...

ReputationRep:
    No, obviously not. You cant put a slimmer tyre on cos it wont seat properly.

ReputationRep:
    (S)he's talking about putting wider tyres on.

ReputationRep:
    Still no, for the same reason.

Edit: From my brief bit of googling, it appears that it is possible to do it but really not a very good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, well you might be able. How big is your rim? As in width? You usually have about 30mm of leway from minimum size to maximum size. Its easier/better to go for a wider tyre on, rather than the other way round though. Remember as you go wider rolling diameter increases as well, not by much, but a wee bit.

Look at the table here;

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/...es-advice.html

ReputationRep:
    I miss the good old days when tyres were measured as 'width x wheel size' or 'height/width x wheel size'. Now it's (rather ridiculously in my opinion) 'width/aspect ratio x wheel size'. Why, just WHY make it so hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I miss the good old days when tyres were measured as 'width x wheel size' or 'height/width x wheel size'. Now it's (rather ridiculously in my opinion) 'width/aspect ratio x wheel size'. Why, just WHY make it so hard?
    don't forget load or speed rating

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, what car is that for!?

I think you should talk to a professional tyre fitters, you could email www.event-tyres.co.uk and ask for their advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    No, obviously not. You cant put a slimmer tyre on cos it wont seat properly.
    Yes you can.

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Still no, for the same reason.

Edit: From my brief bit of googling, it appears that it is possible to do it but really not a very good idea.
    How is it not a good idea?
    It's called Tyre Stretching, you end up with something like this:

Only, I'm not sure about how legal it is because your wheel sticks out aka hazard.

Although, it is common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    Yes you can.

Only, I'm not sure about how legal it is because your wheel sticks out aka hazard.

Although, it is common.

That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about using tyres that are wider than the rims, not narrower as your picture shows.

Anyway, that looks pretty stupid. What's wrong with just using tyres that are the right size?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    Yes you can.

Although, it is common.
    Just because it's common doesn't mean it's good for your tyre or will result in good handling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    Yes you can.
    I refuse to believe those tyres are seated properly, unless they are vastly overinflated to compensate.

Also it looks stupid, might well be illegal, and you better stay away from kerbs!

ReputationRep:
    If the wheel is outside of the wheel arch it is illegal, the only way round this is to but bigger wheel arches on.

If you strech the tyre and courner hard, there is a risk that the tyre will become unseated and result in a crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Bloody hell, what car is that for!?

I think you should talk to a professional tyre fitters, you could email www.event-tyres.co.uk and ask for their advice?
    Let's put it this way; it's German and has a V10. Any ideas?

(no it's not my car, but I might get to drive it soon!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Let's put it this way; it's German and has a V10. Any ideas?

(no it's not my car, but I might get to drive it soon!)
    Lamborghini Murcielago?!

Ok, I reckon its an M5.

But then it could also be a R8 but AFAIK the V10 R8 is not out yet, so definitely M5

I use Pirelli PZero Assimetrico on the Jag, they are very very good. Same size as the M5 tyres co-incidentally! Apparently the Rosso varient is better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Lamborghini Murcielago?!

Ok, I reckon its an M5.

But then it could also be a R8 but AFAIK the V10 R8 is not out yet, so definitely M5

I use Pirelli PZero Assimetrico on the Jag, they are very very good. Same size as the M5 tyres co-incidentally! Apparently the Rosso varient is better...
    PZero Rosso's for the Touareg :P

Nothing quite so exotic, but it does need some serious load ratings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    PZero Rosso's for the Touareg :P

Nothing quite so exotic, but it does need some serious load ratings!
    Sporty tyres on a Touareg 4x4?:eek:

Nah, you've got it all wrong!

You want some Goodyear MTRs:

We've got these fitted to the 19" rims on the Range Rover. They're awesome and will take you anywhere. Also, surprisingly good on the road.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Sporty tyres on a Touareg 4x4?:eek:

Nah, you've got it all wrong!

You want some Goodyear MTRs:

We've got these fitted to the 19" rims on the Range Rover. They're awesome and will take you anywhere. Also, surprisingly good on the road.:yep:
    Nahh you want the tried and trusted BFG AT:

They block up a bit in much but self clear well and are incredibly well mannered on road. They wear forever too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Nahh you want the tried and trusted BFG AT:

They block up a bit in much but self clear well and are incredibly well mannered on road. They wear forever too
    Got them on my Range Rover Classic and they're brilliant. Would have fitted them to the L322 Range Rover as well, but they don't make them in 19" size unfortunately. The Goodyear MTRs are seemingly the only AT/MT tyre available in 19".

ReputationRep:
    Make sure they're not so wide that they'll rub...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.