Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Third of voters believe Tories are party of 'upper classes' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As shorthand for the bourgeoisie, of course they are. I'm not aware of any Conservative policy that would aim to reduce poverty or the cavern of inequality etc. Indeed, we have inheritence tax breaks for the filthy rich and severe cuts in public services. EDIT: not to mention the silly marriage tax breaks, affecting the wealthy very disproportionately

The only sensible vote is for the Lib Dems -- at 21%, in the most recent poll, they are merely 8 percentage points beneath Labour and 19 beneath the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    ]
    Wow - Even with David Cameron as the leader, people still perceive the Conservative Party as the party for the rich.
    I hope you are being sarcastic.

Just in case you aren't, can you not understand that? Just look at him, his haircut, the sound of him, surely the much of the electorate with think of him as upper class. Oh, did I forget about his Eton background?

It's time like these where people should use the new sarcasm punctuation mark on the internet!

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/01/...8/?usesarctags

(Original post by crazylemon)
    That's one of the reason why I am not really much of a fan anymore (hence preferring it under farage). It is the sort of thing it sadden me they are bringing in. Stupid, unnecessary, and authoritarian.

But if I have no LPUK to vote for and no liberal independent to vote for who do I have left?

It a case of the lesser of quite alot of evils.
    At least contact the tory candidate first, there are still some good euroskeptic ones among them, and Farage backed the burhka ban. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    As shorthand for the bourgeoisie, of course they are. I'm not aware of any Conservative policy that would aim to reduce poverty or the cavern of inequality etc. Indeed, we have inheritence tax breaks for the filthy rich and severe cuts in public services.

The only sensible vote is for the Lib Dems -- at 21%, in the most recent poll, they are merely 8 percentage points beneath Labour and 19 beneath the Conservatives.
    Sorry, but I don't accept that inheritance for the filthy rich argument.
    I personally will benefit from the inheritance tax break, and I am certainly not nor is my family rich. It just so happens that we bought a house before the housing boom meaning our property is worth so much more than when we bought it.

(Original post by 12ian34)
    I hope you are being sarcastic.

Just in case you aren't, can you not understand that? Just look at him, his haircut, the sound of him, surely the much of the electorate with think of him as upper class. Oh, did I forget about his Eton background?

It's time like these where people should use the new sarcasm punctuation mark on the internet!
    It was not sarcasm. Compared to some individuals in the Conservative Party, David Cameron is very moderate.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest... I don't really think they've done much to dispel the image privately - you only have to look at the differences in expenses claimed between the Conservative and Labour parties. One claimed for Duck houses and moats, the other claimed for plugs....

Most people know far more people who own plugs, than moats...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)
    To be honest... I don't really think they've done much to dispel the image privately - you only have to look at the differences in expenses claimed between the Conservative and Labour parties. One claimed for Duck houses and moats, the other claimed for plugs....

Most people know far more people who own plugs, than moats...
    That is a stupid argument.
    I made this awesome piece of art. Thus as not many people own it, I am rich mwhahaha ....

Seriously, stupid point.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.
    Come the election you will be proven wrong.

As the Government will lose to the Conservatives.

(I know what your point was, I just wanted to say it)

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd hardly consider them to be a party of the lower-classes.

It doesn't matter how much David tries to change the parties image, it will always remain a party of the upper-classes - primarily due to the fact that it's members consist of the social elite.

ReputationRep:
    That is a stupid argument.
    I made this awesome piece of art. Thus as not many people own it, I am rich mwhahaha ....

Seriously, stupid point.
    I disagree. There is a definite difference between the 'class' of someone who has a moat, and someone who has a plug. Your analogy is silly and not relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    At least contact the tory candidate first, there are still some good euroskeptic ones among them, and Farage backed the burhka ban. :sad:
    Will do.

And did not know that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    Come on, its not THAT bad!
    I'm afraid it is and I'm not the usual conservative critic of new labour. Most of them are hypocrites anyway, one minute they are saying 'labour is stealing our policies' and then saying 'labour have ruined the country'. I know it goes a lot deeper than that, but it isn't far off from reality.

I see myself as some sort of cross between libertarian/conservative. So if the conservative party had the right kind of social policies, I'd vote for them without thinking about it too much, but I'm afraid they don't.

They're all politicians at the end of the day.. I don't expect much from them. They are always trying to pander to every demographic possible at the same time, lieing and twisting their words.

ReputationRep:
    I personally will benefit from the inheritance tax break, and I am certainly not nor is my family rich. It just so happens that we bought a house before the housing boom meaning our property is worth so much more than when we bought it.
    “This year it’s projected that only the richest two per cent of estates will pay inheritance tax. Conservative proposals to raise the allowance to £2 million in most cases would effectively mean handing out cheques for hundreds of thousands of pounds to just a few millionaire estates", writes Tim Horton.

Those who have such resources, however gained, can afford, and arguably have a responsibility, to pay the current rate of inheritence tax.

"Inheritance tax is in reality not a tax on the deceased but on the recipient of a large unearned windfall. If we tax income earned from work, then it only seems fair to tax unearned income too. What's more the intergenerational transfer of wealth is a positive act, and this is not necessarily undermined by the tax system taking a modest cut of the proceeds. Supporting inheritance tax is therefore not incompatible with encouraging people to pass things on to their children."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    “This year it’s projected that only the richest two per cent of estates will pay inheritance tax. Conservative proposals to raise the allowance to £2 million in most cases would effectively mean handing out cheques for hundreds of thousands of pounds to just a few millionaire estates", writes Tim Horton.

Those who have such resources, however gained, can afford, and arguably have a responsibility, to pay the current rate of inheritence tax.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    I'm afraid it is and I'm not the usual conservative critic of new labour. Most of them are hypocrites anyway, one minute they are saying 'labour is stealing our policies' and then saying 'labour have ruined the country'. I know it goes a lot deeper than that, but it isn't far off from reality.

I see myself as some sort of cross between libertarian/conservative. So if the conservative party had the right kind of social policies, I'd vote for them without thinking about it too much, but I'm afraid they don't.

They're all politicians at the end of the day.. I don't expect much from them. They are always trying to pander to every demographic possible at the same time, lieing and twisting their words.
    Ok, fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)
    Same with me.
    To be honest I support many Labour social policies but I don't believe its the government's role to implement them. They should be implemented by individuals voluntarily...hopefully fostering responsibility, and perhaps a more caring and self-aware society.

Kant expressed it right:
    'The first attempts will surely be brutal and will lead to a state of affairs more painful and dangerous than the former condition under the dominance and also the protection of an external authority. However, one can achieve reason only through one's own experiences and one must be free to undertake them.'

After that minor rant, I hope there will be an LPUK candidate in York. If there isn't, I don't think I can bring myself to vote Conservative.
    There's something wrong with a party which represents 'aspirations' by destroying the power of unions in the name of 'free trade' while raising trade barriers higher than before.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on whose statistics you go with, Tory inheritance tax proposals will only benefit the 2-6% largest estates.
    According to Treasury figures, Cameron's marriage tax plans in their current form only benefit the richest 6% of married couples. And its being paid for by a tax on drivers, hitting everybody.
    Its widely thought that the Tories are likely to raise VAT - the most regressive way to raise tax possible.

Three very good reasons for seeing the Tories as a party of privilege.

The house is worth over £650,000? Remember that married couples effectively already share IHT thresholds. The average house price is around £225,000 overall or £350,000 for a detached. If your house is worth £650,000; you count as pretty rich. You certainly count as rich if you get a windfall of over £650,000 from your parents that you did absolutely nothing whatsoever to earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Depending on whose statistics you go with, Tory inheritance tax proposals will only benefit the 2-6% largest estates.
    According to Treasury figures, Cameron's marriage tax plans in their current form only benefit the richest 6% of married couples. And its being paid for by a tax on drivers, hitting everybody.
    Its widely thought that the Tories are likely to raise VAT - the most regressive way to raise tax possible.

Three very good reasons for seeing the Tories as a party of privilege.

The house is worth over £650,000? Remember that married couples effectively already share IHT thresholds. The average house price is around £225,000 overall or £350,000 for a detached. If your house is worth £650,000; you count as pretty rich. You certainly count as rich if you get a windfall of over £650,000 from your parents that you did absolutely nothing whatsoever to earn.

As always, JP hits the nail on the head. Very well said.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the reality is that the Conservatives of today are hardly more a party of 'upper classes' than Labour are of 'lower classes'. The effect that this has is simply that mobility between the two parties is reduced. A lot of the views of class bias result from comparatively unimportant factors such as the party leader's education and accent (perhaps the Tories attracted more working class support under John Major), but that isn't to say that people don't read into policies. David Cameron's policies on marriage are, however one looks at it, going to be of less statistical benefit to those who identify themselves as belonging to the working classes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The reason a third of voters believe Tories are a party for the upper-classes is because they remain largely composed by the wealthy, their policies continue to demonstrate favour to the wealthy and they have a leader who is a continuation, not a revocation of the status quo. If anything, Cameron is the biggest 'toff' to have lead the Conservative party in some years - Hague was more popular among non-Tories and Major, after all, left school at 14. Even Mrs Thatcher wasn't an out and out toff like Cameron. (I omit IDS merely because of his total, permanent irrelevance...)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.