Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbo)
    No you can have equivalent environments. It depends on the bonding. If you look at the second example, the 2 methyl groups on the 'left' are equivalent.
    I worked out that the last compound has 4 environments, am I correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Does the last compound have 4 hydrogen environments? :o:
    it does indeed if i were you, read the text book, its much better explained! its seriously a hard topic to get though mate! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbo)
    I've done the first one for you, I hope you can work the rest from there.
    Not sure about your splitting. Surely those first two environments won't give singlets, there are definitely protons on the neighbouring carbons...

Edit: My bad, you are completely right.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm for me the first diagram has 2 singlets, 1 triplet and 1 quartet, showing proton at 4 different enviroments thus producing 4 peaks?

ReputationRep:
    I worked out that the last compound has 4 environments, am I correct?
    Yeah it does!!

It is kind of hard to explain in text without pointing to diagrams effectively but hopefully you have a better idea now?

Any more problems you can PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz Shah)
    it does indeed if i were you, read the text book, its much better explained! its seriously a hard topic to get though mate! good luck
    FINALLY! thank u, i've actually given up anyway lol. I don't really give a damn anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbo)
    Yeah it does!!

It is kind of hard to explain in text without pointing to diagrams effectively but hopefully you have a better idea now?

Any more problems you can PM me.
    Yes!! I think I get it thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The second diagram shows only 2 proton enviroment correct?

ReputationRep:
    FINALLY! thank u, i've actually given up anyway lol. I don't really give a damn anymore
    Noo man! Don't give up! It's just a 1 hour exam tommorow.. And seriously, you dont wanna have to repeat this exam in June do ya? Just engineer all your revision and hard work today, and it will pay off! Plus, it wont be a big section in the exam surely.. and plus, it'll only be worth around 2 marks.. as you'll also have Infrared and Mass Spec as well to determine the molecule.. if in doubt, just mention n + 1 rule and stuff like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    The second diagram shows only 2 proton enviroment correct?
    doesn't it show 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz Shah)
    Noo man! Don't give up! It's just a 1 hour exam tommorow.. And seriously, you dont wanna have to repeat this exam in June do ya? Just engineer all your revision and hard work today, and it will pay off! Plus, it wont be a big section in the exam surely.. and plus, it'll only be worth around 2 marks.. as you'll also have Infrared and Mass Spec as well to determine the molecule.. if in doubt, just mention n + 1 rule and stuff like that!
    I really think it'll be a 6 marker! AHHHHH! are you taking it too? if so good luck! im going back to revision!

ReputationRep:
    SOLUTIONS

*splittings labelled 'left' --> 'right'

a) 4 environments. Splitting: s, s, q, t

b) 3 environments. Splitting: s, q, d

c) 4 environments. Splitting: d. o, q, d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilbo)
    SOLUTIONS

yeah I agree with you. Shaz said first one had 3 peaks thats wrong?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gilbo)
    SOLUTIONS

thats all ok, but in the last one, doesnt the methyl (CH3) on the second carbon from the left have a doublet due to the CH it is attached to??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    thats all ok, but in the last one, doesnt the methyl (CH3) on the second carbon from the left have a doublet due to the CH it is attached to??
    Er... yeh. I wrote a d for doublet ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gilbo)
    Er... yeh. I wrote a d for doublet ?
    this is what i did

from left to right:
    CH3 has a doublet, CH has an oxtet(or whatever its called), the methyl CH3 has a doublet, CHBr has a quartet and the last CH2Br has a doublet also..

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!! i just realised that the CH3 are neighboured by the same environment so that becomes a doublet with a relative area of 6.....right??

thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    REMEMBER: Splitting of a particular peak only occurs when the carbon (associated with the H atoms in question) is DIRECTLY attached to another carbon which has H atoms attached.

ReputationRep:
    in proton nmr... is the magnetic field kept constant and radio waves applied changed... or is it the other way around

ReputationRep:
    wth. nmr is well easy!
    I will die when i see any questions on buffers or acyl groups :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Singh)
    wth. nmr is well easy!
    I will die when i see any questions on buffers or acyl groups :eek:
    We are the complete opposite!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.