Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    No, no one should be given money!
    Most people are subject to a fair education system and receive equal oppurtunities. You reap the rewards when you get it working, education is for your own benefit - why do people need bribe money?

Some people are actually poor (as in on the poverty line) and have some potential but would otherwise have to leave and get a low paying job to support their family. The idea is to allow them to stay in school and achieve something. However, perhaps its just allocated wrongly like most benefits in this country. Look at the uni funds schemes; the students from poorer backgrounds (perhaps the evidence is anecdotal but meh) often have more cash floating about than the ones from more well off backgrounds. How often does facebook update with "bursary is in ! Off to the town to get me an iPod/clothes/whatever" ? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    I get EMA. I don't have an iPhone. I don't go into town to have a good time. Anything else?
    HEAR HEAR!!!
    As said before, if you who don't get EMA did get EMA, you wouldn't turn it down. People are born into different circumstances, that's life, quit moaning about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmfgardner1)
    we are not "meant" to be in anything.

PROBABLY HAVENT WORKED HALF AS HARD AS YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE TO DESREVE IT

how the hell can u come up with something like that? you dont know me, or anyone you are speculating about.. what about footballers, actors,, singers who earn milllions ??? do u write to them?

one of us people who get EMA may go on to be smoehting which contributes a great deal to society, even you, sadly.
    I know that the majority of EMA goes spent on products which have nothing to do with maintaining education. If you were coherent enough to recognise the fact that footballers, actors and singers are doing a JOB you would recognise that they have worked to get where they are.
    They are in some way productive while school kids are not economically active - they are not contributing anything.
    State education is a public good - YOU BENEFIT. Why do you need to be coaxed into doing it?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're going to be like that - Why don't you go buy some turtle wax so you do a good job of shining the bonnet of my Bentley.
    Why should people be given EMA? Why should peoples parents with more money be allowed to give their children more money? Why anything that seems unfair? Why should people at Cambridge be allowed a larger bursary than people at Durham? It's just that way things are and moaning on a forum isn't going to do ****.

Also I don't see why people are angry at the people who get EMA, if you were offered 30 pounds a week and didn't take it then you must have severe mental disabilities.

I am not going to say I need EMA but it does make things a lot easier which I wouldn't voluntarily give up to gain an undeserved sense of self importance and nobility by say balls like "give it to Haiti".

Also just because some people go to school purely to get EMA doesn't mean people who get EMA suddenly only value their education for the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    In most cases however, the arguments presented have substance.

Yes they do.
    But I try to keep out of this debate, since there are many shades of grey.

(Original post by Mona Lisa)
    HEAR HEAR!!!
    As said before, if you who don't get EMA did get EMA, you wouldn't turn it down. People are born into different circumstances, that's life, quit moaning about it.
    If I was able to get EMA, I would claim for it, without a doubt, but I would use it for the purpose it was created. I would love to be able to cut down my hours at work.. but until someone comes along and gives me £30 a week, I'm not going to be able to do that.

However, I'm of the opinion that the school should provide you with the basics; books etc. If it's not providing that, then that's something you should take up with your LEA. If the school is/was providing you with the basics, you wouldn't/shouldn't need EMA.

I hear several arguments that individuals have petrol etc to pay for? And? You could always walk? It'll do you, and the environment some good.

(Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Yes they do.
    But I try to keep out of this debate, since there are many shades of grey.
    It does indeed get nasty. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    Why should people be given EMA? Why should peoples parents with more money be allowed to give their children more money? Why anything that seems unfair? Why should people at Cambridge be allowed a larger bursary than people at Durham? It's just that way things are and moaning on a forum isn't going to do ****.
    Quite. However people suggesting that they have lazy parents because they get EMA makes me fume. I tell you, O Ignorant Ones, I would have given absolutely anything (including any EMA I have ever received) for my dad to be back on the £45k wage he was once on. So shut the **** up before making silly generalisations. You're doing your parents a disservice.

Bonus is usually by the end of Jan btw.

ReputationRep:

I hear several arguments that individuals have petrol etc to pay for? And? You could always walk? It'll do you, and the environment some good.
    Depends how far away your college or school is really. Mine is 20 minutes away and it'd take me several hours to walk it there and back every day. But I don't drive I pay 300 a year for the college bus.

Edit: plus those saying that peoples parents were lazy and thats why they get EMA. University isn't the only career path. My mum used to be a carer until she was made redundant when I was little so she's been a shop assistant since. But I don't get EMA anymore I get 100 from ALG a term though.

ReputationRep:
    The real irony in EMA is that 'poor' families' kids get given money, whereas people with parents who actually earn a decent wage have to go out and work for their money. To say it's fun to use it to throw out the old 'lazy poor' line barely touches the surface.

ReputationRep:

Also I don't see why people are angry at the people who get EMA, if you were offered 30 pounds a week and didn't take it then you must have severe mental disabilities.

I am not going to say I need EMA but it does make things a lot easier which I wouldn't voluntarily give up to gain an undeserved sense of self importance and nobility by say balls like "give it to Haiti".

Also just because some people go to school purely to get EMA doesn't mean people who get EMA suddenly only value their education for the money.
    When I debate on here I am affirming my own beliefs and seeing how well I can make my own arguement stand up. I know very well that by ranting on TSR will not change anything in the real world - it is mostly for my own benefit.

I cba anymore now though.

I'll just say - Imagine the impact if every pound of EMA which was mispent was given to a charity in aid of somewhere like Haiti or wherever... Rather than on frosty jacks and amber leaf. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Quite. However people suggesting that they have lazy parents because they get EMA makes me fume. I tell you, O Ignorant Ones, I would have given absolutely anything (including any EMA I have ever received) for my dad to be back on the £45k wage he was once on. So shut the **** up before making silly generalisations. You're doing your parents a disservice.

Bonus is usually by the end of Jan btw.
    What the hell are you on about? I don't think I said or implied anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    When I debate on here I am affirming my own beliefs and seeing how well I can make my own arguement stand up. I know very well that by ranting on TSR will not change anything in the real world - it is mostly for my own benefit.

I cba anymore now though.

I'll just say - Imagine the impact if every pound of EMA which was mispent was given to a charity in aid of somewhere like Haiti or wherever... Rather than on frosty jacks and amber leaf. :woo:
    To imagine that the government spends its money 100% efficiently other than EMA if ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It does indeed get nasty. :p:
    Yes, I was annihilated the last time I joined in :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veem)
    Because they worked hard to earn it and should be able to spend it any way they want!
    The children haven't worked hard. Just as you are implying the EMA people haven't worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    To imagine that the government spends its money 100% efficiently other than EMA if ridiculous.
    Of course it is, theory is theory for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    If I was able to get EMA, I would claim for it, without a doubt, but I would use it for the purpose it was created. I would love to be able to cut down my hours at work.. but until someone comes along and gives me £30 a week, I'm not going to be able to do that.

However, I'm of the opinion that the school should provide you with the basics; books etc. If it's not providing that, then that's something you should take up with your LEA. If the school is/was providing you with the basics, you wouldn't/shouldn't need EMA.

My college doesn't supply us with materials as it's in a lot of debt as it is and has had to get rid of several teachers last term. My school is too far to walk to, I don't own a car, and I have to pay £17 a week for a travel card so i can use the tube to travel to school. The rest of the money is spent on materials and I have so little money left after all those necessary expenses that I have to go home for lunch when I have the time, so I think I can safely say I'm very much entitled to EMA without feeling any guilt.

However, I understand your point about those people who spend ema on unnecessary things like nights out and so on, but it's not fair on us that need the EMA to see countless threads that generalise and say we don't need it. I've tried getting a job, my CV has been handed into most of the shops, cafes and restaurants in my area but I live in central london so it's very hard to find a job as they get snapped up pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    i can't afford an iphone. **** you.
    lmao
    dont **** me, **** the government, theyre the ones giving it me.
    the best thing is, the remainder if i get it every week should just about cover my car insurence!!

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't everyone just get the bonus for getting good grades etc then?
    What a load of ****.
    At our school you get £100 a term if you got more than 8 A's at GCSE in year 12 whether you get EMA or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    At our school you get £100 a term if you got more than 8 A's at GCSE in year 12 whether you get EMA or not.
    I've never heard of any state school doing that. Very unorthodox but never the less, internally fair.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.