Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had an iPod, new clothes, fun nights out in town and a new bag.

ReputationRep:
    oooh yey, the EMA debate...

Personally, I think the system needs to make sure students can spend it on essentials and not on themselves. Would be much better to assign students vouchers for various things; travelcards, stationary, books, whatever. That way there are set things they can spend it on, the people who deserve it get what they need, and the people who just want free money won't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    When I debate on here I am affirming my own beliefs and seeing how well I can make my own arguement stand up. I know very well that by ranting on TSR will not change anything in the real world - it is mostly for my own benefit.

I cba anymore now though.

I'll just say - Imagine the impact if every pound of EMA which was mispent was given to a charity in aid of somewhere like Haiti or wherever... Rather than on frosty jacks and amber leaf. :woo:
    Who are you to judge whether money is spent badly or not?

Where does the EMA system have a clause which says money must be spent 'well'. It can be spent on whatever someone wants. Be that buses, food and books etc., or for holidays, haircuts, cars, alcohol or whatever else.

This impact you speak of. The impact to the economy of it being 'mispent' as you put it, is better than if it was all given to Haiti.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    What the hell are you on about? I don't think I said or implied anything like that.
    I said "quite" which means I agreed with you and then "however" to move on to my next point. Sorry if it was unclear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    I'm sorry but every time someone mentions EMA the thread descends into utter madness, madness I tell you!...

If you want to know then ring the EMA people or Ask at college.

No, I'm not jealous because you get money for doing nothing, I'm just fed up of hearing about it, plus its my taxes that pay for your 'bonus' so stop winging...

Seriously though 'Bonus' - As if EMA wasn't already a load of misguided rubbish, now they are giving £100 bonus just to get people to sit in classes and arrive on time! Honestly... Do the poor struggle with basic capabilities? We might as well be giving these people 30 quid a week to sit at home watching telly, hey they could even claim Job Seekers allowance while there at it! - I will never understand why I never got EMA because my parents had decent jobs, yet the half the people on EMA's parents sit at home all day thinking of more extravagant benefits to claim.

oh, wait....Madness! :eek: :eek3: :eek:
    wow you have erm...issues? you wouldn't feel like that if you got it. and actually my parents are decent hard-working people and i still get £30 a week. and i find it really useful because i go to a boarding school so can't get a job grrrrr. but i can see where your coming from in a way, its a bit weird. paying people to go to school...its going to be gone in a few years anyway so at least i won't waste my taxes on it

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but every time someone mentions EMA the thread descends into utter madness, madness I tell you!...

No, I'm not jealous because you get money for doing nothing, I'm just fed up of hearing about it, plus its my taxes that pay for your 'bonus' so stop winging...

Seriously though 'Bonus' - As if EMA wasn't already a load of misguided rubbish, now they are giving £100 bonus just to get people to sit in classes and arrive on time! Honestly... Do the poor struggle with basic capabilities? We might as well be giving these people 30 quid a week to sit at home watching telly, hey they could even claim Job Seekers allowance while there at it! - I will never understand why I never got EMA because my parents had decent jobs, yet the half the people on EMA's parents sit at home all day thinking of more extravagant benefits to claim.

It's actually £150! lol I cant wait. I might buy a new games console. Jealous much?

ReputationRep:
    4th feb at the earliest, I rang up ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelski786)
    It's actually £150! lol I cant wait. I might buy a new games console. Jealous much?
    It's £100.

ReputationRep:

I find most of your thread very patronising and totally stupid to be honest with you. Especially that in bold.

Just because I get EMA means that I am poor does it? Well actually, no it doesn't at all. My mother can't work because of health problems and my dad usually earns way, way over the EMA upper salary. However, he lost his job so I was able to claim for EMA to help us out a bit until things start looking up. My dad works his arse off for everything he has ever got and is by no means lazy so I wish people would just keep their opinions to themselves! I know many of my friends are just over the EMA salary and could really do with the money rather than me usually, but as our circumstances have changed, I feel that this money has helped us a lot in this difficult time.

ReputationRep:
    I hate ema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceSeeker09)
    It's £100.
    no is 150

ReputationRep:
    I love ema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red_student)
    I find most of your thread very patronising and totally stupid to be honest with you. Especially that in bold.

Just because I get EMA means that I am poor does it? Well actually, no it doesn't at all. My mother can't work because of health problems and my dad usually earns way, way over the EMA upper salary. However, he lost his job so I was able to claim for EMA to help us out a bit until things start looking up. My dad works his arse off for everything he has ever got and is by no means lazy so I wish people would just keep their opinions to themselves! I know many of my friends are just over the EMA salary and could really do with the money rather than me usually, but as our circumstances have changed, I feel that this money has helped us a lot in this difficult time.
    hear hear to that!! and one of the guys in my class is really really rich and can afford designer clothes and stuff. but because his parents are divorced and he lives with his not-so-rich mother, only hers is taken into account and he gets £30 a week.

ReputationRep:
    EMA bonus can not wait to get it!
    Looking forward but I can not decide what to get!
    My school cut me of the list this year by accident and I had to give them my number again and I only did that last week and now at the end of last week I had a BIG lump sum in my account :P That was for one whole term.
    And now another £100 it is all good!

And we do not need to spend it on school stuff! It is up to us! So if you are against it just shut up!

ReputationRep:
    no is 150
    i thought it was 100!
    Where did you get 150 from?
    Maybe you are just special and get more than us

ReputationRep:
    no is 150
    i always thought it was £100

ReputationRep:
    I love EMA, 30 beer tokens a week gets put to good use, the joys of having a self employed farther with a good accountant. If I were PM I would scrap the whole thing as a waste of money, but who in there right mind is going to turn down free money? Ands it’s not like we have never paid tax, the government is just giving some of our money back to us.

ReputationRep:
    no is 150
    It's 100.

Plus you can't be on job seekers whilst in college anyway (I think someone said that in an earlier thread) if it's over 9 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    It is £100.

Its £150 in Wales, Scotland or Ireland. I don't remember which

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    my dumbass school gives them in the first week of february

I NEED NEW SHOES AND A JACKET DAMNIT
    It's for poor people like this, without it they wouldn't be able to afford clothing

It's also to make my bank account bigger.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.