Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I had a quick question:

What are the reaction conditions for the nucleophilic substitution and elimination reactions between NaOH and a haloalkane... the textbook and internet contradict the mark schemes

Here is what i think they are:
    Nu Subst: aq/alc NaOH.. warm reflux...
    Elim: alc conc. NaOH... hot reflux...

The MS penalises for saying reflux and conc.. can anyone explain which one is correct?

Also can anyone tell me the reaction conditions for the industrial production of aspirin... i thought they were 90 degrees celsius with ethanoic anhydride... is this correct?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    i was taught substitution: cold OH- in water, elimination: hot OH- in ethanol

ReputationRep:
    subsitution would be: weak, NaOH (aq), reflux - product alcohol
    Elim would be: Conc NaOH in alcohol, reflux - product alcene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    i was taught substitution: cold OH- in water, elimination: hot OH- in ethanol

oh... but the MS even contradicts that.. and you would need alcohol present in substitution as well in order for the haloalkane to dissolve... no?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdotK)
    oh... but the MS even contradicts that.. and you would need alcohol present in substitution as well in order for the haloalkane to dissolve... no?:confused:
    well its what my AS chem text book of last year tells me :p: if your looking for whats right go with the mark scheme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.