Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, we have already been asked to fill in some forms regarding accomodation and have been told that most of the second years will have to live out.

I have been looking around at different renting opportunities, but everywhere is either too far far/in an appalling state/expensive, or a combination of all of those together....Even if I was lucky enough to find a nice place (which, I'm sure, exists - I just need to look that bit harder!), I do not want to live in Oxford whole year round, as I have a flat back in London and I really do not want to pay for accomodation in which I am not going to stay for Christmas and Easter holidays.

Therefore, I was wondering if anybody knew of any alternatives? I looked at graduate accomodation, but that's obviously not going to happen...I even e-mailed another college to ask about their off-site accomodation availability, but have been told it is unlikely they will have anything left unoccupied next year.

Thanks everyone! xxxx

ReputationRep:
    First off, I'd talk to your accomodation office. It's very common for colleges to kick people out for 2nd / 3rd year, but they have to keep a few rooms in case people have e.g. medical reasons for needing to be in college. Obviously yours isn't a medical reason, but it's a darn site better than "I just want to be near the shops :puppyeyes:"

Second, if you're prepared to move around a bit, short term rents may be a viable option. Try gumtree?

ReputationRep:
    it will be (almost) impossible to get a regular house that doesn't include christmas and easter - and i'm guessing you wouldn't want to stay in the summer either? rents will be 12 months. so presumably the regular private letting market is out (although that's what almost all students who live out do).

the point about other colleges with off-site accommodation isn't actually a bad idea, but this sort of thing won't be set in stone until very shortly before term starts - colleges' grad accommodation often has a couple of free spaces because someone doesn't get funding/gets better funding somewhere ele/whatever, but obviously this doesn't become clear until they tell colleges. it could work, but it's a massive risk - if you ring around a week before and nowhere has anything (which is unlikely, but not totally out of the question) presumably there's nothing you can do beyond throw yourself to the wolves on the private market.

short term rents could be an option, but there's a risk again in terms of how far ahead you can plan this - and i'm skeptical about whether you'd be able to get rents which neatly mapped onto terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Try Balliol, ask if there's spare capacity at Jowett Walk. Wadham's Merifield accomm., Univ's Staverton Gardens and Oriel's block off Cowley Rd (JMH?) are three possible options.
    Not this year... they've had to reorganise the entire ballot system because of unprecedented Jowett demand.

ReputationRep:
    Oriel's block off Cowley Rd (JMH?)
    Yeah, you could try JMH or James Mellon Hall. I haven't actually been yet, though, so I've no idea how much space they have, but they've been able to just randomly accommodate a couple of people in my year who have had to move out of the main college site, so I'm guessing they do have spare rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Try Balliol, ask if there's spare capacity at Jowett Walk. Wadham's Merifield accomm., Univ's Staverton Gardens and Oriel's block off Cowley Rd (JMH?) are three possible options.
    Yeah, JMH is quite nice. We have some students from Catz here this year, and there's a few spare rooms in the main bit (en suite, kitchen between 7) and the new part (small rooms but only built last year, so everything's nice and new). I think I'm right in saying that rent is about £950 a term for an A grade room (which most of them are).

ReputationRep:
    Try Balliol, ask if there's spare capacity at Jowett Walk.
    Haha, I have a friend at Balliol who had to ask me whether Merton would have any spare accommodation because they've cocked up their accommodation stuff so badly. They definitely don't have any spare space :p:

Though I never found out whether Merton would have any space, I didn't really know who to ask or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have e-mailed Merton, Wadham and Oriel, and have so far heard from Merton and Wadham only. Although it is quite possible that the lack of reply from Oriel is due to the fact that I e-mailed my enquiry to the lodge, as I couldn't find the contact details for their accomodation manager....

Merton has put me on the waiting list (although apparently they will not be able to inform me of any spaces until October 2010, which is rather late for sorting out accomodation) and Wadham said they will inform me at the start of Trinity (so I'm hopeful )

Have to chase Oriel and Univ now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Haha, I have a friend at Balliol who had to ask me whether Merton would have any spare accommodation because they've cocked up their accommodation stuff so badly. They definitely don't have any spare space :p:

Though I never found out whether Merton would have any space, I didn't really know who to ask or anything.
    It's less that college have 'cocked up', but rather that the entirety of the first year, as far as I can see, have decided that they want to live somewhere that can only actually accommodate a half of said year. Fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have e-mailed Merton, Wadham and Oriel, and have so far heard from Merton and Wadham only. Although it is quite possible that the lack of reply from Oriel is due to the fact that I e-mailed my enquiry to the lodge, as I couldn't find the contact details for their accomodation manager....
    Hmmm I have a fair idea of who your enquiry will be passed on to ... Let's just say they're not all that popular around college, so please don't take them as representative of Oriel in general.
    Anyhow, hopefully they can sort you out, although you might need to wait a little bit because our room ballot is still up in the air and room choices (by undergraduates, not sure about grads) won't be finalised until 8th week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)

Sally Hague is our accommodation manager - we may well have spare space, since in my year one room in my house is free, and an entire house in Manor Place.

ReputationRep:
    LMH should have at least one spare room.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    Sally Hague is our accommodation manager - we may well have spare space, since in my year one room in my house is free, and an entire house in Manor Place.
    I've already had dealings with her after a contractor randomly came into my room while I was out and moved all my stuff around, and I wasn't notified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mook)
    Hmmm I have a fair idea of who your enquiry will be passed on to ... Let's just say they're not all that popular around college, so please don't take them as representative of Oriel in general.
    Anyhow, hopefully they can sort you out, although you might need to wait a little bit because our room ballot is still up in the air and room choices (by undergraduates, not sure about grads) won't be finalised until 8th week.
    Thanks. I have not heard from them yet though, but I hope I will

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.