Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to Germany in about a month, for 5 months of au pairing.

Now, the thing is, I'm not too fantastic at shopping, and tend to only stick to a few shops, but I'm going to need new stuff whilst I'm there, and I'm definitely going to need some cheapo t-shirts/jeans and things, because I've got two children under 5 to look after.

I'm an 18 top, 20 bottom, and I've no idea where to even start. Should I get stuff here, or go whilst I'm in Germany? Am I actually likely to find stuff in the German shops that will go up to my size? Last time I was in Germany, I could only find H&M, who aren't the most plus-size friendly!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be ok tbh. Out here now and I've seen some large sizes. C&A would most likely cater and they're not that bad. Will see if I can think of anywhere else. Depending on which region you're in, clothes may get expensive though.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you normally shop? What's your kind of style? You don't look large in your profile pic, so I'd think any general clothes shop should have something in your size.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ullapopken.de/ullapopken/home.up Their clothing range starts from a size 14/16 btw, they might be a bit boring for you though. (I think their target group is 30-60 year olds ).

ReputationRep:
    You'll only find traditional Dirndls in Germany. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    http://www.ullapopken.de/ullapopken/home.up Their clothing range starts from a size 14/16 btw, they might be a bit boring for you though. (I think their target group is 30-60 year olds ).
    I don't look particularly large, it's just that I'm blessed with a massive bone structure - I'm built like a rugby player, basically, just with big hips and a small waist.

I know of Ulla, and they're not too bad, but some of their stuff... Ick :p:

EDIT: I'm usually a New Look/Evans/Dorothy Perkins kinda girl. I tend to go out in pencil skirts and nice tops, every day wear is more t-shirt and cardi with jeans kind of thing, although I wouldn't mind a bit of a change, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    When I lived in Germany back in the mid 1990s I remember seeing a clothes shop called "Mode", not too helpful I know. I dont know if they are still trading, but their clothes looked quite good ( a bit like M&S).There are probably smaller less well known, to us in the uk that is, shops that are suitable for you.

Hope you have a great time in Germany, I know I did.

ReputationRep:
    Depending where in Germany you'll be, there's also Sinn Leffers which is a bit more expensive than C&A. They cater to all ages and sizes and have everything!

My favourite is Esprit (which you occasionally also get in Britian) but it's on the more epxensive side of high-street shops. Don't know what sizes they do though.
    H&M in Germany is the cheapest most young people will go so it's the stuff everyone wears.
    Also, S.Olivier is kinda between H&M and Esprit and sounds like your kind of thing.

There's loads of random other shops so if you find a shopping centre, you'll just be able to have a look round.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the next bigger department store i.e. Karstadt, Peek & Cloppenburg or Galeria Kaufhof. It's the equivalent to Debenhams etc. I'm sure you'll find enough in there.

ReputationRep:
    Again, the only probs with Karstadt/Kaufhof/S. Oliver is that it can get expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Again, the only probs with Karstadt/Kaufhof/S. Oliver is that it can get expensive.
    Yeah, I think they're going to be way out of my range, and probably not the best for those with a fat arse like me.

Thing is, most of my clothes have to be mess/baby sick/running around in the garden friendly, so it's not like I'm going to want to spend £20 on a top that's just going to be covered in paint within an hour :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Yeah, I think they're going to be way out of my range, and probably not the best for those with a fat arse like me.

Thing is, most of my clothes have to be mess/baby sick/running around in the garden friendly, so it's not like I'm going to want to spend £20 on a top that's just going to be covered in paint within an hour :/
    Aww, you're not fat.

Exactly. I spent 70 Euros on snow boots and 90 on a winter coat from S Oliver. Was not impressed! I miss some of the cheap shops in the UK. Will have a think as to where I've been.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, you're not fat.

Exactly. I spent 70 Euros on snow boots and 90 on a winter coat from S Oliver. Was not impressed! I miss some of the cheap shops in the UK. Will have a think as to where I've been.
    ^_^

I know I'm going to miss New Look, and I never really got into them until now! I just know that H&M won't fit me properly, unless I find a store with their plus size range, and their stuff is pretty horrible. C&A doesn't look too terrible actually, I think I'll have a nosey there

ReputationRep:
    ^_^

I know I'm going to miss New Look, and I never really got into them until now! I just know that H&M won't fit me properly, unless I find a store with their plus size range, and their stuff is pretty horrible. C&A doesn't look too terrible actually, I think I'll have a nosey there
    I miss it! H & M have terrible sizing anyway. I have a medium size hoodie from there and I'm usually a small.

Was thinking about the New Yorker and possibly Orsay?

ReputationRep:
    I miss it! H & M have terrible sizing anyway. I have a medium size hoodie from there and I'm usually a small.

Was thinking about the New Yorker and possibly Orsay?
    Neither of them go up to an 18. They stop at a 16... Well, Orsay say they do some pieces in an 18, but I can't find anything online ¬_¬

I think I'm either going to have to just order online, or try and find the nice stuff in C&A and grab that

ReputationRep:
    Neither of them go up to an 18. They stop at a 16... Well, Orsay say they do some pieces in an 18, but I can't find anything online ¬_¬

I think I'm either going to have to just order online, or try and find the nice stuff in C&A and grab that
    Poo. I have a friend at work who should know some places online and possibly some stores. I can ask her if you like. Good luck with C & A though- was in there nearly 2 weeks ago looking for a bag and I thought there was some nice stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Finding clothes is not a problem in Germany, I've found, and I tend to shop in Dot Perkins, H & M, Zara etc here, though I don't know about larger sizes. Lots of people have big bone structure there though so I think you should be well catered for. Have you thought about ordering uk clothes online once you're there? Most of the big retailers deliver Europe-wide.

ReputationRep:
    Poo. I have a friend at work who should know some places online and possibly some stores. I can ask her if you like. Good luck with C & A though- was in there nearly 2 weeks ago looking for a bag and I thought there was some nice stuff.
    If you could ask, that'd be absolutely great Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you could ask, that'd be absolutely great Thank you!
    Sure, I'll ask her when I'm in tomorrow and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have difficulties finding really really cheap stuff in Germany, we don't have an equivilant of Primark. C&A has some good cheap stuff but not to the same extend.

Perhaps stock up on cheap basics (tshirts etc) while here and then only buy the occasional thing while over there.
    Tbh you shouldn't need too much new stuff during 5 months.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.