Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Go watch the match with him and give support to the opposition team. That will really nark him off.
    Plenty of anti-Man Utd chants available online :p:

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you're overreacting a lil' bit - I don't mean to be patronising but you're obviously stressed right now because of your exams. Just make a compromise with him - it's no big deal. He's seeing one football match - don't interpret it as his view of your whole relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i'd be hugely pissed off. its only ******* football,

but watching! wtf, he sounds like a ****

Woa!!! u sound lyk a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i finish my exams on wednesday and my boyfriend was taking me out as a treat for a meal and the cinema, just because i've been quite stressed and worked really hard and we've not had much time together recently as he's had exams too. i've been really looking forward to this, which he knows. it's been the kind of thing i've been able to say ugh i don't want to do this last exam but oh yay when its over i can do that with my boyfriend :o:

however, he's just cancelled on me because theres a football game on that he forgot about. it's the team he supports and it's a very big game and normally i wouldnt mind but i got so excited about our date and it's like he's chosen football over me (actually, that's exactly what he's done) and now i just feel a bit done. he was very apologetic and promised to make it up to me. but i can't help but feel quite annoyed that i'm going to have to find something else to do now. very few of my friends have finished their exams by then so it's not like i have many options.

am i right to be annoyed? should i say something to him or just let it slide? do i wait around until he's finished watching the football then see him? or do i just go out with someone else?
    Of course you should be annoyed, football is such a horrendously boring game any guy that chooses it over being with his bird is just not right in the head at all.

I mean we all have our interests but surely he could suspend his for one evening since he did promise to take you out.

AND HE DITCHED YOU FOR FOOTBALL.

Seriously, yell him out, or something because that's just insulting.

But then again I find football fans so mind numbingly boring I wouldn't make plans with them to begin with. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    You're last point couldnt be more wrong.
    The football is on at a specific time and only for 90 minutes. People might say "oh just record it or check the score"
    It is not the same. It's like saying, instead of watching a movie, just go read a spoiler or watch a trailer :rolleyes:

Realistically he can re-arrange a date with you for another time, but he cant ask them to re-arrange the date/time of a football match at his whim.

So his choices are:
    Miss the game and spend time with you
    or
    Watch the game and spend time with you later

The 2nd option means he gets to enjoy both things, the first means he only gets to enjoy one thing.
    I get your point, but it's entirely discounting her feelings, which he should be thinking about too. Factually your point makes sense, but you should take into account her feelings, and how it would seem to her: that he's chosen football over seeing her.

OP, I'd be very upset. I'd probably ask him again to please reconsider missing the game, although to be honest that may sour the evening that you spend together. Could you not both go to the pub for a drink, and watch the game there? Try turning the fact that the game is on into a date opportunity. You could then go for a meal/film afterwards, maybe.

:hugs: cheer up OP, my guess is that he just won't have realised how you'd take it, and how it'd upset you. Still, ask him again, as you deserve some happiness and fun after exams!

ReputationRep:
    Thus why I only date guys who hate football

In all seriousness, yeah I think he's a **** for choosing football over you. Have a word.

ReputationRep:
    Football > Women haha
    But in all seriousness, like people have said, do something before/after the game. Although its getting a bit late now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    I get your point, but it's entirely discounting her feelings, which he should be thinking about too. Factually your point makes sense, but you should take into account her feelings, and how it would seem to her: that he's chosen football over seeing her.
    What about his feelings and doing things he enjoys? Let's just ignore that!
    The football is only on for a couple of hours, the OP and others act like time will stop after the game and it's the end of the world. It's not, simply just do something after the game.

OP, I'd be very upset. I'd probably ask him again to please reconsider missing the game, although to be honest that may sour the evening that you spend together. Could you not both go to the pub for a drink, and watch the game there? Try turning the fact that the game is on into a date opportunity. You could then go for a meal/film afterwards, maybe.
    Doing something silly like that just puts pressure on the relationship for no reason whatsoever and I'd emphasis ruining his mood/the time together.

:hugs: cheer up OP, my guess is that he just won't have realised how you'd take it, and how it'd upset you. Still, ask him again, as you deserve some happiness and fun after exams!
    So does he, but evidently the OP is more interesting in hers wants/feelings than his

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Thus why I only date guys who hate football

In all seriousness, yeah I think he's a **** for choosing football over you. Have a word.
    Thus why I only date girls who are considerate :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thus why I only date girls who are considerate :yep:
    What's that got to do with what I said!?

ReputationRep:
    let it slide, football is important to a proper football fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exursist)
    Woa!!! u sound lyk a ****
    how on earth do you come to that conclusion

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, OP, you're being a bit irrational. If you cannot understand the pre-eminence of football over womankind in modern society, you may not be mature enough to hold down a boyfriend and should consider a life of long-term loneliness as a singleton. All your boyfriend did is put into operation rule 1a of the Relationship Manual. He apologised profusely - that should be sufficient to secure footballing goodness for the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    At least he's apologised, I suppose. Men tend to think women are just a way of getting sex when they're bored, so at least he's got his game plan on. Just be thankful that you have a source of intimacy, faked or not. Urrghh, I've changed.

Without my **** tinted spectacles on though, if it's an important game and he's promised to make it up to you, I think you should just accept that but make sure he really makes it up to you. I'm a walkover in these situations and would probably **** him afterwards no question, so don't be like me. I've kinda answered why guys treat me so badly right?

ReputationRep:
    Give the guy a break. It's not that big of a deal.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be annoyed, but only due to the fact he said he'll take you out i nthe first place, and then he cancels because he has something else to do. If he never said it in the first place, it really wouldn't matter much and the day out or whatever can happen anywhen, just the fact that he gave you false hope.

I would just make him feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why you're upset and he shouldn't have made the date in the first place for a time when he wouldn't be available, but I have to agree that taping the game is NOT the same. Watching the game as it happens is very, very important; and obviously if you tape it and watch it later, there is a risk of finding out the score, which would ruin the whole thing.

My boyfriend does not understand this either :p: but it just isn't.

Still, I can understand why you're a bit annoyed. If he makes it up to you, then I'd just try to forget about it, but if not then I think you'd be perfectly justified in being narked.

ReputationRep:
    How funny, I just cancelled on somebody to watch this game too.

ReputationRep:
    well i think hes in the wrong he could have record that match it would not have been the end of the day if he watched it a few hours later.

ReputationRep:
    What about his feelings and doing things he enjoys? Let's just ignore that! The football is only on for a couple of hours, the OP and others act like time will stop after the game and it's the end of the world. It's not, simply just do something after the game.

Doing something silly like that just puts pressure on the relationship for no reason whatsoever and I'd emphasis ruining his mood/the time together.

So does he, but evidently the OP is more interesting in hers wants/feelings than his
    Your points might have some backing if he wasn't cancelling on a pre-organised date to watch football without her... If he was planning to watch the game and she kept pestering him to miss it for her, and they hadn't planned something for a week, then I'd agree with you.

The OP isn't more interested in her wants than his, she's said that if he offered to miss the game for her she wouldn't ask him to - it's the way he's approached this, by just telling her that he's not going to be seeing her as a football game is on telly, and cancelling on her.

Like I suggested, it's possible to turn this round and turn the football game itself into a date situation for you, OP. Try that, if it'd make you feel better/happier?

ReputationRep:
    Look, just point out to him that he isn't that much of a fan/it can't be that big a game if he forgot about it/didn't realise when it was and made plans with you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.