Turn on thread page Beta

How Do You Know If It's the Uni- Or Just You? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started uni September after a dull gap year spent working.
    I seem to be doing well- I get good marks in my coursework.
    However I just don't feel happy here- I don't know why. I want to drop out but I have no idea what I would do if I did. I want to do more than simply drop out and get a job, but am not sure what other oppurtunites there are.

My friend said drop out and go to a different university and do a different course. But how do you know if it is the uni you are currently at that's making you not enjoy it... or whether it's you not liking uni in general... no matter where it is or what you are studying.
    Any thoughts? I am confused for now.

ReputationRep:
    Do you enjoy your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Do you enjoy your course?
    Considering I am paying tuition fees of £3,000 + I find it very poor.
    There's hardly any class time, and what little class time there is- it's stuff I mainly already know or could have found out with a few moments on the internet.
    I also feel I am not being pushed or getting enough work (odd thing to complain about I suppose)
    My flatmates seem to have stacks of work to do, whereas I have about 3 large essays and one group project in for the end of April. And that is it then!
    I suppose I shouldn't complain there isn't much to do or that I don't find it too taxing. But I wanted to come and learn and 'grow' and what not and I just don't think it's happening.
    I hope that doesn't make me sound big-headed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpalFruitJam)
    There's hardly any class time, and what little class time there is- it's stuff I mainly already know or could have found out with a few moments on the internet.
    I also feel I am not being pushed or getting enough work (odd thing to complain about I suppose)
    My flatmates seem to have stacks of work to do, whereas I have about 3 large essays and one group project in for the end of April. And that is it then!
    I suppose I shouldn't complain there isn't much to do or that I don't find it too taxing. But I wanted to come and learn and 'grow' and what not and I just don't think it's happening.
    Well it's only just the beginning, maybe it will get harder. Talk to your tutor about it?

ReputationRep:

I understand what you mean.. doing A-Levels, my college pushed us really hard, and it was tough keeping on top of it all. One of the reasons I dropped out of uni last year was because I didn't feel enthralled by the work, and only had 9hrs contact time a week. Of course, it depends if you enjoy the subject content, which I didn't, but I guess if you enjoy your subject, do some extra research for your seminars or tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    hotcoco is right, talk to your tutor , alot of these degrees, from what ive seen seem to be quite easy in the first year , I think they do that to let you settle in or whatever, just make sure your 100% about the decesion you make.Its better to do a different course then fail one because it was the wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me. I was really disapointed by how easy it all was, which was one of the reasons i ended up dropping out. I thought whats the point in paying all this money if I'm not actually learning anything.

Before I dropped out I talked to loads of 2nd and 3rd years to get their view on workload, if it would get harder after the 1st year, etc, and talked to my tutor as well for his opinion. I basically decided it wouldn't really so didn't want to waste the money. I definately reccomend you talk to your tutor (or another lecturer), plus 2nd and 3rd years.

ReputationRep:
    First year is always dross it seems, and to be honest, a complete waste of time. For my Economics units my attendance last semester was practically non existent, out of 60 contact hours across the two modules I think I went to 4 and left half way through one of those. Yet with not having learnt it and obviously no revision, I turn up to the exams and score in the high 60's without trying, and I only need 40 to pass the year. I already know everything they're supposed to be 'teaching' me. I have a similar situation in my other History modules, they haven't taught me anything new either, and putting in almost no effort whatsoever I still get 2.1 scores. This year is a complete waste of three grand, and its very annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at other courses at other Unis... does anyone know if the first year counts for anything UCAS points wise?
    This won't happen but for the sake of an easy example... If I got a first for this year... would that count for anything points wise? Or do they just take it into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    First year is always dross it seems, and to be honest, a complete waste of time. For my Economics units my attendance last semester was practically non existent, out of 60 contact hours across the two modules I think I went to 4 and left half way through one of those. Yet with not having learnt it and obviously no revision, I turn up to the exams and score in the high 60's without trying, and I only need 40 to pass the year. I already know everything they're supposed to be 'teaching' me. I have a similar situation in my other History modules, they haven't taught me anything new either, and putting in almost no effort whatsoever I still get 2.1 scores. This year is a complete waste of three grand, and its very annoying.
    Well done!
    For example... one of my 'projects' to be in.. is two 500 word essays. One has to be on a scriptwriter that has inspired us.
    It's like what we used to do in primary school - write a book report
    "I like this book because it's shiny and colourdyfull"

Would you say it is worth sticking the first year out then?
    I suppose it doesn't matter what course you are doing - it seems the first year is always like this- suppose I should be thankful it is easyish for now.

ReputationRep:
    Well done!
    For example... one of my 'projects' to be in.. is two 500 word essays. One has to be on a scriptwriter that has inspired us.

I suppose it doesn't matter what course you are doing - it seems the first year is always like this- suppose I should be thankful it is easyish for now.
    It is actually course and university dependent - my first year was really taxing, and everyone on the course agreed (not me being silly!). I study Physics, so I think it was necessary for them to cram in some extra maths to get us up to scratch - but basically my point is that it's not a doss everywhere, and for every subject, so don't work on that assumption. However my sister (business management), boyfriend (economics), flatmate (biology), her boyfriend (maths), and a few friends (biochemistry, geology) have all said that they found their first year at least more effort than they expected - some have found it very difficult indeed, myself included. Maybe it's different for humanities students (I don't mean that in a patronising way at all, I just realise all of my quoted examples are science-based)? What're you studying, OP? I've probably been blind and mis-read somewhere.

I'd probably look into the idea of a transfer into the second year of the same course at a different university (i.e. complete this year, then swap for september). You'll have lost nothing if you're not particularly happy where you are - even if it turns out the difficulty is still the same, you can decide then whether or not to drop out, stick at it or perhaps swap to a different course within the university (you could look at this now?). It does sound like a lot of your problems are with the course content and pace itself, so it may not be down to your university - are you happy socially, with your accommodation, in general?

ReputationRep:
    i disliked my first year so i dropped out, the course wasn't for me. Currently on a gap year and going back to same uni different course this year hopefully, i regretted dropping out as you could always switch course at the same uni and it would be a lot easier than reapplying all over again.

however only you know what you want and how you feel

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had your lack of work situation. I always seem to be juggling a stack of things and then I remember I have essays so have to cram them in alongside my other work. At college, we were pushed with a minimum of 1 essay per A Level per week [usually more as we had two teachers per subject who would each set one] but a university essay is different due to the fact it is almost all researched independently and so forth. A lack of work would be quite nice at the moment...

That said, I do understand what you mean about being pushed and so forth. The work is probably there if you look for it - there is always extra reading to be done etc. And, the work load for most courses does increase in Yrs2/3 particularly as it starts to count towards your classification, and therefore your future. First year is more about settling in, getting used to the new way of working and enjoying yourself. They say if you don't doss in your first year, you are not doing it right lol.

With regards changing course/university. It depends. One of my friends dropped out from one university, started at another last September and is having a brilliant time now and is even considering post grad when he finishes. Whereas I have other friends who decided to drop out and work because it simply wasn't for them. Try to think about what it is exactly you dislike and what you want from the future. If you don't want a career that requires a degree, or you want to do something where you could gain a degree on the job [I know some banks etc used to run schemes like that] then you could try that route instead.

I would say give it time though, if you are happy to do that, as things might change. Obviously, if it is damaging your mental/physical health because you are so unhappy at your current university, then don't stay - take a positive step in deciding to try something else.

You could consider swapping universities at the end of your first year and taking up the same/similar course at a different university [doing a transfer] maybe, especially if you like your course / need it for your career of choice.

Definitely consider your options. There are lots of routes you could take so that you are happy...

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

I know the first year is designed to bring everyone up to the same level, but that's exactly it, they try to bring everyone to a level no higher than A-levels and don't push those who are already at that level. Personally, I really have not enjoyed myself here at Uni outside of the course either, so I'm seeing out the next couple of months to get money through, then restarting all over again somewhere else. Kinda stupid as I know I'll be in exactly the same position course wise all over again, wasting my money on a first year, but hopefully I'll be better set mentally to throw myself into having a good time this time round.

ReputationRep:
    I started uni September after a dull gap year spent working.
    I seem to be doing well- I get good marks in my coursework.
    However I just don't feel happy here- I don't know why. I want to drop out but I have no idea what I would do if I did. I want to do more than simply drop out and get a job, but am not sure what other oppurtunites there are.

My friend said drop out and go to a different university and do a different course. But how do you know if it is the uni you are currently at that's making you not enjoy it... or whether it's you not liking uni in general... no matter where it is or what you are studying.
    Any thoughts? I am confused for now.
    You sound totally like me. But yesterday I took the plunge and withdrew, knowing that I can't carry on in a place I hate, on a course that I'm totally indifferent about.

I'm being an au-pair in Germany for a few months, and then I'm coming back to the UK for a month or so so that I can get a break before I start a totally new course at a different uni.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's horrible when you're totally unsure what to do, so it may be worth researching what you can do, gap-year wise

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.