Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you take a mini fridge to uni?? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have a mini fridge with you at uni?
    Yep!
    20.69%
    No
    18.39%
    No but i plan to
    60.92%

ReputationRep:
    Erm the question's basically in the title lol

Some uni's are a bit iffy and the rooms are tiny but i was still wondering if you can take a mini fridge with you coz that would be great :woo:

I'm planning to go to UCA Epsom or Nottingham Trent if that helps

ReputationRep:
    I did.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to take one but now I'm glad I didn't, it really wouldn't have been necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you're self catered or not. If you're catered you might still want to keep some stuff in your room and same goes for if you're self catered; plus you might not want people stealing your food. Usually you can just slip the mini fridge under your desk or like my friend did, he kept it in his wardrobe lol. Look at what facilities are provided and then decided. Best to email who ever is in charge and ask if you can keep a fridge in your room (and just that as in you wont be doing cooking).

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty a mini-fridge is overkill, most people don't steal food and those who do get caught out pretty quickly. If you're worried about room then you can always buy less fresh food (or simply do smaller shops more often). Part of the university experience is learning to live communally, people who keep everything stockpiled in their room rather than the communal fridge can sometimes create a bad impression. Obviously if you're mainly using it for storing booze and snacks then that's not an issue.

In other words, wait until you get there and see what things are like, you probably won't need one.

As for whether it's allowed, usually not, but people do get away with it as it's not like your university will be doing weekly inspections or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I didn't but my friend did lol. He doesn't really like the people in his kitchen so he just kept hm milk in it for tea, which saved him having to communicate with people he doesn't like lol. I just use dry milk in my tea but if I didn't like it i'd probably get one because I need tea in the morning lol :p:
    I'm not even meant to have a kettle but they can gtf if they think i'm giving it up lol

ReputationRep:
    my halls wont let me the basterds , thinking bout flat share now , but i think i will need to do halls for a year , hmmm so undecided lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reikazen)
    my halls wont let me the basterds , thinking bout flat share now , but i think i will need to do halls for a year , hmmm so undecided lol
    You could just sneak it in... or do without, god forbid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm selfish with certain foods lol i hate people eating my stuff without permission lol so i want a lil' fridge to put like my yoghurts and drinks and all that stuff..

Maybe i shouldn't assume that the people I'm going to live with at uni are all chubby food thieves...

ReputationRep:
    you generaly can't, but it depdns on the uni policy. At southampton you can if your diabetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missmo)
    I'm selfish with certain foods lol i hate people eating my stuff without permission lol so i want a lil' fridge to put like my yoghurts and drinks and all that stuff..

Maybe i shouldn't assume that the people I'm going to live with at uni are all chubby food thieves...
    Yeah, that's a bit harsh. I mean, most people would hate to have their food stolen so it's not like they're going to do it if they don't want it to happen to them. The only things that do get nicked out of fridges are stuff like margarine, milk, orange juice, ketchup... but it's often a good idea just to share that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd take a dry box though

ReputationRep:
    Where I am, I personally haven't but if I wanted to I can't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    you generaly can't, but it depdns on the uni policy. At southampton you can if your diabetic.
    ye my bros got one and hes diabetic.. Im just gna sneak one in anyways, cos when I stay over at his ,its nice when you just want a drink, instead of walking all the way to the kitchen (yes that sounds incredibly lazy) when you got a hangover or just chillin, to just have a mini fridge right next to you. + in winter its an extra heater :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Yeah, that's a bit harsh. I mean, most people would hate to have their food stolen so it's not like they're going to do it if they don't want it to happen to them. The only things that do get nicked out of fridges are stuff like margarine, milk, orange juice, ketchup... but it's often a good idea just to share that stuff.
    I'm just difficult bout it uni and i should have a more positive attitude coz i dont my room mates to think i'm selfish

ReputationRep:
    I'm self-catered, I took one with me. It didn't come in hugely useful for me, though, I just kept drinks in it that I wanted to be cold. I wasn't technically allowed it, so whenever there was a room inspection (they had to let us know beforehand), I just stashed it under the bed with my spare sheets and they never knew.

Be optimistic about who you're living with! Many 'stolen' foodstuffs is purely accidental in a lot of cases - someone just can't remember if it was them who bought the yoghurt/tomatoes/cheese, or someone else, etc. It's mainly milk, ketchup, butter etc that gets nicked so it's not too bad

ReputationRep:
    I think its a good idea to take a mini fridge, its a bit annoying having to go to the kitchen for every single thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking one - I don't want to have to trust drunken students with my medication >_> Also, a Brita filter.

ReputationRep:
    You can here, but it's pretty pointless.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    In all honesty a mini-fridge is overkill, most people don't steal food and those who do get caught out pretty quickly. If you're worried about room then you can always buy less fresh food (or simply do smaller shops more often). Part of the university experience is learning to live communally, people who keep everything stockpiled in their room rather than the communal fridge can sometimes create a bad impression. Obviously if you're mainly using it for storing booze and snacks then that's not an issue.
    Actually the main problem I had (and which eventually made me cave in and get a mini fridge even though I hadn't wanted to for the reasons you mentioned) wasn't people stealing food, it was people cramming the fridge full of their stuff, leaving no space for mine.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.