Turn on thread page Beta

Why is racism against blacks worse than racism against whites? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.

ReputationRep:
    It's not BUT bit more sensitivity because of slavery/ colonialism etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I gave you a pos' rep' for the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-17)
    Slavery. Colonialism.
    But the Romans colonised Britain didn't they? White British people don't hold anything against Italians.

ReputationRep:
    Because many African Americans today are still feeling the effects of their ancestors' slavery; Africa is, also, arguably feeling the effects of colonialism. There's also the issue of minorities being easier targets and perhaps therefore needing greater protection. (Although I do doubt that a white person's serious racial abuse would be laughed out of a police station.) I doubt that anyone could make a direct link between their current position in life and their ancestors' enslavement under Roman/Greek law -- the sands of time have hidden/diminished such links. Modern slavery is only a few generations behind us, ancient slavery many millenia. The modern world also has a strong intellectual conception of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"/"liberté, égalité, fraternité", whereas thought in the ancient world was largely based upon the acceptance of the superiority/inferiority of others.

No doubt in a few millenia from now, when African-American slavery/colonialism is ancient history, the world will have new issues on which it focuses.

Besides, it's now illegal to racially discriminate for jobs in Britain, even be that "positive discrimination". General surveys, however, merely allow managers to see how much their general workforce represents the population at large. And, indeed, perhaps it's psychologically best to focus on current issues (e.g. social/educational inequality, poverty etc.) in the light of history, without seeing oneself as, if you'll pardon the expression, as a slave to history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    But the Romans colonised Britain didn't they? White British people don't hold anything against Italians.

This stuff is a bit more recent - it's still within living memory. I think ANY form of racism is really wrong, but I can understand people's attitudes - racism against white people happens far less frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Black peoples slave ancestors hardly had it any worse than white peoples ancestors who were stuck in factories or mines from the age of 4 working 16 hour days. I for one think it is about time they got over it. It's like they think they don't have to work now because someone made their great great great great great great great grandparents work for free...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.
    Hmmm...

Some of your previous comments:

no, we shouldn't give them extra special treatment just because they're different from us. We only do because people are scared of being called racist.
    Also

They are not a group that is racist. They are only called racist as a defence by muslims. Why are you stereotyping them to hate muslims? I know people in the EDL who definitely are not racist, they just hate the fact that the government does nothing about extremists yet people who highlight this issue are called "racists".
    Hmmm, a black guy who thinks giving arabs "special treatment" is only done to prevent being labelled racist and associates with members of the far right EDL. You must be the whitest black guy in the UK, somehow I doubt this, more like a sad sorry excuse for a bigot trying to race and troll bait at the same time.

THIS IS A TROLL THREAD, PLEASE LEAVE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Black peoples slave ancestors hardly had it any worse than white peoples ancestors who were stuck in factories or mines from the age of 4 working 16 hour days. I for one think it is about time they got over it. It's like they think they don't have to work now because someone made their great great great great great great great grandparents work for free...
    It seems to be used as an excuse by a minority.

ReputationRep:
    My ancestors were no doubt in said mines/factories/mills, but one should remember that these people were victims of forced deportation/renunciation of culture/psychological torture/denial of one's status as an individual. Indeed, that's not to say that many white working-class people have had things hard, but black slaves certainly underwent horrific treatment, the effects of which could hardly but pass down generations (as there there was no plan of empowerment when slaves were freed, many simply stayed in the same jobs, albeit salaried). (e.g. "The average African-American family has only 18 percent of the wealth of the average white [American] family.')

ReputationRep:
    This. Black people who harp on about slavery forget a) The worst slavers of Black people were other black people b) White people were effective slaves, the term wage-slavery may seem quaint today but it had a real meaning in the past and c) Colonialism gave more then it took away. Unless of course, they really wish they've never been disturbed and were still using bows and arrows. It involved a massive technology transfer as well.

The simple fact is black culture has hindered any progress that these nations could of made - so like Arabs they play the victim game. Perhaps a glance in the direction of China is necessary to see what can be achieved. It's just an inferiority complex dressed up in a quasi-intellectual historical critique which bears no relevance to the actual lives of Black people other then serving as a convenient excuse.

Besides, if white racism in the slave trade was so wrong - why is it OK for black people to identify with black people from the past any more then with white people from the past? Surely that is racism, to hold an identity based on race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    This. Black people who harp on about slavery forget a) The worst slavers of Black people were other black people b) White people were effective slaves, the term wage-slavery may seem quaint today but it had a real meaning in the past and c) Colonialism gave more then it took away. Unless of course, they really wish they've never been disturbed and were still using bows and arrows. It involved a massive technology transfer as well.

The simple fact is black culture has hindered any progress that these nations could of made - so like Arabs they play the victim game. Perhaps a glance in the direction of China is necessary to see what can be achieved. It's just an inferiority complex dressed up in a quasi-intellectual historical critique which bears no relevance to the actual lives of Black people other then serving as a convenient excuse.

Besides, if white racism in the slave trade was so wrong - why is it OK for black people to identify with black people from the past any more then with white people from the past? Surely that is racism, to hold an identity based on race?
    Oh I see your penchant for talking **** extends beyond the confines of the fitness section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    the effects of which could hardly but pass through generations
    Sorry but this is complete claptrap. Jewish people were treated as bad by Europeans for centuries, forced to live in their own enclaves in European cities, often expelled and persecuted. Yet they still rose to the top of the social order and dominated universities.

The only way the lives of people 200 years ago could possibly influence your life today is through culture. Perhaps the real problem is tolerating the existence of "Black culture".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Sorry but this is complete claptrap. Jewish people were treated as bad by Europeans for centuries, forced to live in their own enclaves in European cities, often expelled and persecuted. Yet they still rose to the top of the social order and dominated universities.

The only way the lives of people 200 years ago could possibly influence your life today is through culture. Perhaps the real problem is tolerating the existence of "Black culture".
    That is mere ignorance. Some Jews have prospered, but the majority simply withered away in the ghettos. It's social Darwinism at its most bleak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    My ancestors were no doubt in said mines/factories/mills, but one should remember that these people were victims of forced deportation/renunciation of culture/psychological torture/denial of one's status as an individual. Indeed, that's not to say that many white working-class people have had things hard, but black slaves certainly underwent horrific treatment, the effects of which could hardly but pass down generations. (e.g. "The average African-American family has only 18 percent of the wealth of the average white [American] family.')
    I'm sorry but there is no way our ancestors would have even had time to have any kind of culture or life outside of work, it was a truely work or die situation. As fast as the slaves picked the cotton our ancestors had to weave it. I'm not claiming the treatment of the slaves was not terrible, but working in cramped conditions for every hour you are awake is hardly any better. Even if it was only half as bad, at least we got over it.

ReputationRep:
    If this is a serious post (I have no idea, but someone's already called troll) then I recommend you give this a read. A bit heavygoing, but interesting (if in places outdated/un-PC).

ReputationRep:
    3 words.

Liberal White Guilt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but there is no way our ancestors would have even had time to have any kind of culture or life outside of work, it was a truely work or die situation. As fast as the slaves picked the cotton our ancestors had to weave it. I'm not claiming the treatment of the slaves was not terrible, but working in cramped conditions for every hour you are awake is hardly any better. Even if it was only half as bad, at least we got over it.
    We're not a minority though, and thus our working conditions generally improved through government action as they, remote as they could be, at least saw us as human. This was not the case in the US, where African-Americans were generally held to be subhuman until the latter half of the 20th century. Indeed, the very prospect of a political movement for black empowerment on the lines of the Labour party was hindered as blacks were restricted in their right to vote (e.g. http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5352/). I advise you to read about this period of history, it is a rather depressing one.

Anyway, it's not a competition. Bad things have happened to all kinds of people, and the effects can often be long-lasting, especially when power is distant from / uninterested in such people.

ReputationRep:
    It is not worse at all.
    Racism is racism no matter what the colour.

The reason it appears worse is because some thick liberals believe we owe you something for slavery. My view is, its history. Get over it. Most races have had slavery at some point whether it is blacks, arabs or whites.

ReputationRep:
    being black is tened to be worse due to slavery and SEXUAL ABUSE

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.