Turn on thread page Beta

Why is racism against blacks worse than racism against whites? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.
    i) Slavery in Ancient Greece and Rome has not resulted in, or even vaguely contributed to, the ongoing and entrenched economic disadvantage that the colonial slave trade and 200 years of legalised, institutionalised racism (and discrimination against some poor whites in the process) brought to the United States.
    ii) Ever heard of colonialism? Slavery is not the be-all and end-all of historical racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination?
    ******* ridiculous.

i) I don't know where you live (I'm assuming the United States), but in the United Kingdom positive discrimination is illegal.
    ii) Do you honestly, honestly think that the odd individual being passed over for the odd job would "balance out" the aforementioned 200 years of oppression? Really?

If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races?
    It's for "monitoring purposes": to see who is applying for jobs and so on. The companies, by law, are not allowed to use these surveys as part of considering the application.

But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority.
    That is the ******* law. (Hopefully the Equality Bill won't be passed as is. But since you're talking in the present and recent past tense...)

Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.
    Christ, don't even get me started. Women make up a majority of the population do they? Why, then they must be equally advantaged in society!

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.
    Absolute and total ********. Give me twenty examples of this happening. Give me ten. Five. I know white people who've gone to the police with racism and this has not happened. So at the very least a blanket statement like that is false.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.
    Because your being racist would be a decent excuse for you writing such crap. As it happens you're just an idiot.

I'm sure a raft of individuals are going to be lining up to accuse me of being some kind of bitter feminazi black person who hates white people. No. I don't spend all my time wailing about slavery or anything like that. I just don't pretend that everything is all fine and dandy now, nothing that has happened in the past has any bearing on what things are like today, and that racism is something made up by New Labour to keep the whites down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    We're not a minority though, and thus our working conditions generally improved through government action as they, remote as they could be, at least saw us as human. This was not the case in the US, where African-Americans were generally held to be subhuman until the latter half of the 20th century. Indeed, the very prospect of a political movement for black empowerment on the lines of the Labour party was hindered as blacks were restricted in their right to vote (e.g. http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5352/). I advise you to read about this period of history, it is a rather depressing one.
    Why are you Americanising a debate on British forums?

We're not Americans, nor are Black people in the UK African-Americans. I don't understand where you're coming from - unless you somehow think that black people in the UK should share a sociological outlook with people brought up in a different political environment in America - merely on the basis of sharing skin colour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    i) Slavery in Ancient Greece and Rome has not resulted in, or even vaguely contributed to, the ongoing and entrenched economic disadvantage that the colonial slave trade and 200 years of legalised, institutionalised racism (and discrimination against some poor whites in the process) brought to the United States.
    ii) Ever heard of colonialism? Slavery is not the be-all and end-all of historical racism.

******* ridiculous.

i) I don't know where you live (I'm assuming the United States), but in the United Kingdom positive discrimination is illegal.
    ii) Do you honestly, honestly think that the odd individual being passed over for the odd job would "balance out" the aforementioned 200 years of oppression? Really?

It's for "monitoring purposes": to see who is applying for jobs and so on. The companies, by law, are not allowed to use these surveys as part of considering the application.

That is the ******* law. (Hopefully the Equality Bill won't be passed as is. But since you're talking in the present and recent past tense...)

Christ, don't even get me started. Women make up a majority of the population do they? Why, then they must be equally advantaged in society!

Absolute and total ********. Give me twenty examples of this happening. Give me ten. Five. I know white people who've gone to the police with racism and this has not happened. So at the very least a blanket statement like that is false.

Because your being racist would be a decent excuse for you writing such crap. As it happens you're just an idiot.

I'm sure a raft of individuals are going to be lining up to accuse me of being some kind of bitter feminazi black person who hates white people. No. I don't spend all my time wailing about slavery or anything like that. I just don't pretend that everything is all fine and dandy now, nothing that has happened in the past has any bearing on what things are like today, and that racism is something made up by New Labour to keep the whites down.
    The sad thing is the OP IS a white guy, the fact that people cant see this is unbelievably amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)

We're not Americans, nor are Black people in the UK African-Americans. I don't understand where you're coming from - unless you somehow think that black people in the UK should share a sociological outlook with people brought up in a different political environment in America - merely on the basis of sharing skin colour?
    :lol:

quit trying to sound intelligent, you're a persistent muppet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)

Because most British-owned slaves were shipped to the Americas for profit, very few were kept in Britain. The debate on British slave-owning is thus inherently Americanised.

Black people in the UK share generally different experiences, but we should not dismiss entrenched poverty/social issues there either, as Africa was not-long-ago almost wholly colonised by the European powers. Colonisation is almost never done for the good of the native inhabitants, and it certainly wasn't in this case. Indeed, in 21st-century Britain there are many opportunities for black people, but one can never dismiss entrenched issues. Indeed, there are also entrenched issues in some white working-class areas; Newsnight has an interesting series running over the next few months about social deprivation in my hometown of Salford and how things have changed, for better or worse, over the last 10 years. However, that does not negate such issues amongst black people.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because of slavery and how Africa was pillaged by white people of the time. The effects of this still live on today.

ReputationRep:
    Because most British-owned slaves were shipped to the Americas for profit, very few were kept in Britain. The debate on British slave-owning is thus inherently Americanised.

Black people in the UK share generally different experiences, but we should not dismiss entrenched poverty/social issues there either, as Africa was not-long-ago almost wholly colonised by the European powers. Colonisation is almost never done for the good of the native inhabitants, and it certainly wasn't in this case. Indeed, in 21st-century Britain there are many opportunities for black people, but one can never dismiss entrenched issues. Indeed, there are also entrenched issues in some white working-class areas; Newsnight has an interesting series running over the next few months about social deprivation in my hometown of Salford and how things have changed, for better or worse, over the last 10 years. However, that does not negate such issues amongst black people.
    Remember that we didn't capture these black people. More often, they caught themselves and we bought them.

i.e. A tribe would attack another. Capture the people of that tribe and sell them to us. They sold their own people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.
    We live in a white majority country, with a white ruling class. Black people do not oppress whites, nor do whites institutionalise racism against their own races. Black were slaves to other blacks, yet no-one complains cos blacks dont discriminate against each other on cos of race, maybe class and tribes, but not the colour of skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Remember that we didn't capture these black people. More often, they caught themselves and we bought them.

i.e. A tribe would attack another. Capture the people of that tribe and sell them to us. They sold their own people.
    why did u buy them?

ReputationRep:

Well, they sold other tribes' people; I'm sure they wouldn't have categorised them as their own people. That does not, indeed, negate the social deprivation. We are not looking to apportion blame here, merely to address the issue. I have not said that modern white people should be vilified for their ancestors' actions; merely that we should understand the roots of entrenched social deprivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    why did u buy them?
    Because their people was selling them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they sold other tribes' people; I'm sure they wouldn't have categorised them as their own people. That does not, indeed, negate the social deprivation. We are not looking to apportion blame here, merely to address the issue.
    Okay here is how we address the issue. You move on.

ReputationRep:
    Because their people was selling them.
    would you buy drugs just because they are being sold?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    would you buy drugs just because they are being sold?
    Yes. I buy painkillers occasionally because they are useful...

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get if it's more sensitive for black people why do many of them freely use the n word?

If you don't like racism and discrimination, don't use words that are for it, for any race.

ReputationRep:
    My gf called me up in tears last week. She got rejected from her main university, and her black friend, applying for the same course at the same university, was given an offer, despite having considerably worse grades.

I was furious.

How dare she have a black friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.
    :eek: WHAT?! SINCE WHEN?! Oh my god I didn't know that. I guess we learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    My gf called me up in tears last week. She got rejected from her main university, and her black friend, applying for the same course at the same university, was given an offer, despite having considerably worse grades.

I was furious.

How dare she have a black friend.
    hahaha classic...
    Remind me to give you rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    I just don't get if it's more sensitive for black people why do many of them freely use the n word?

If you don't like racism and discrimination, don't use words that are for it, for any race.
    Because black people aren't homogenous, there is huge diversity of opinion, just as there is within any other racial group. Those who use ****** as a salutation are largely those who have a very poor grasp of history, having been failed by the education system. I doubt, for example, that Barack Obama would greet a friend with such a word, even privately.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main reason it is considered worse is because when a black person is racist to a white person the white person probably thinks 'what a racist idiot' and brushes it off, but when a white person is racist to a black person it's a reminder that the black person is going to come up against discrimination many times during their life, that many people think they are inferior, that they are stupid - it's a kick to the stomach, it probably makes them feel sick and angry and bitter. That's what I think anyway. I could be wrong.

But yeah as a white person I certainly wouldn't give a damn if someone started saying nasty things about me for being white, but if they said nasty things to me for being a woman that would be completely different. I'd feel differently about it. Traumatised.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.