Turn on thread page Beta

Why is racism against blacks worse than racism against whites? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soitstrue)
    oh okay thats cool
    No, I just happen to have read a little about history/politics.

ReputationRep:
    more sensitive as black people were subjected to horrible deeds and abuse throughout history
    whereas white people were mostly priviliged not to encounter any resistance or violence from people of different
    race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Sorry but this is complete claptrap. Jewish people were treated as bad by Europeans for centuries, forced to live in their own enclaves in European cities, often expelled and persecuted. Yet they still rose to the top of the social order and dominated universities.

The only way the lives of people 200 years ago could possibly influence your life today is through culture. Perhaps the real problem is tolerating the existence of "Black culture".
    No no no, not just Europeans, generally everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    I just don't get if it's more sensitive for black people why do many of them freely use the n word?

If you don't like racism and discrimination, don't use words that are for it, for any race.
    Many black people use the "n word" as a way of reclaiming ownership of it, they're basically saying yeah I am..so what?! However, if a non-black person uses the word it is seen as derogatory.
    Basically, I think its like saying "oh I'm so fat" but if someone else said that to you or agreed with it, it would still upset you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    why did u buy them?
    Im sorry? He brought slaves? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Im sorry? He brought slaves? I think not.
    he said 'we' bought them (slaves) as in 'we' in white people. so I said 'why did you' to him.

ReputationRep:
    All racism sucks. Why can't people enjoy diversity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    But yeah as a white person I certainly wouldn't give a damn if someone started saying nasty things about me for being white, but if they said nasty things to me for being a woman that would be completely different. I'd feel differently about it. Traumatised.
    To be honest I do think this is striking a chord closer to the truth. Its been alluded to earlier on in the discussion but I don't think anyone has been assertive enough to say explicitly what the issue is - that there is a historical basis for viewing black people as inferior.

I am not saying this is a good way to think, nor a helpful way to think. But there is a very clear historical inadequacy in the behalf of black dominated societies. If I saw a black person wearing a machined t-shirt, holding a mobile phone, wearing trainers and speaking English say White people are inferior then it is hard to take it seriously.

If a white person said the same to a black person, it would reveal an angry resentment and concious recognition of the past. This is why black racism is very specific - it is generally geared towards "equalling the score" - it takes the form of "You did X to Y country Z years ago - so I demand ABC". I have often seen this on TSR - from south Asians as well - using colonalism to justify anti-white racism rather then any particular assertion of superiority. Although it could be argued that there is a wider "Black mindset" transcending skin colour differences along the Indian Ocean from Africa, through the Arab world to the foothills of Pakistan.

Perhaps such truths are unpalatable in our political culture, but regardless - I think most people will recognise the honesty here. Just because we may dislike a truth, does not make it false.

ReputationRep:
    he said 'we' bought them (slaves) as in 'we' in white people. so I said 'why did you' to him.
    Why do you think THEY brought them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabiha09)
    Many black people use the "n word" as a way of reclaiming ownership of it, they're basically saying yeah I am..so what?! However, if a non-black person uses the word it is seen as derogatory.
    Basically, I think its like saying "oh I'm so fat" but if someone else said that to you or agreed with it, it would still upset you.
    youre black too huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    This. Black people who harp on about slavery forget a) The worst slavers of Black people were other black people b) White people were effective slaves, the term wage-slavery may seem quaint today but it had a real meaning in the past and c) Colonialism gave more then it took away. Unless of course, they really wish they've never been disturbed and were still using bows and arrows. It involved a massive technology transfer as well.

The simple fact is black culture has hindered any progress that these nations could of made - so like Arabs they play the victim game. Perhaps a glance in the direction of China is necessary to see what can be achieved. It's just an inferiority complex dressed up in a quasi-intellectual historical critique which bears no relevance to the actual lives of Black people other then serving as a convenient excuse.

Besides, if white racism in the slave trade was so wrong - why is it OK for black people to identify with black people from the past any more then with white people from the past? Surely that is racism, to hold an identity based on race?
    I wouldn't necessarily agree that colonialism in terms of africa has given more than its taken away. The african continent was/is the the most highly concentrated area for natural minerals/resources on earth and this alone should have provided immense wealth, but due to colonialism this wealth wasn't/isn't fairly distributed to the african nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    I wouldn't necessarily agree that colonialism in terms of africa has given more than its taken away. The african continent was/is the the most highly concentrated area for natural minerals/resources on earth and this alone should have provided immense wealth, but due to colonialism this wealth wasn't/isn't fairly distributed to the african nations.
    10pm, BBC2, Sunday, have a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soitstrue)
    youre black too huh?
    I'm not actually! What made you make that assumption?

ReputationRep:
    OP isn't black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I would actually have to agree with you here, i am white though... but i live in a majorly mixed society, and though everyone gets along, there is still loads of racism, and I also find that many black people tend to use slavery etc as an excuse... like this really will sound bad almost, but i feel many black people seem to actually be more sensitive in terms of racism than white people, like i would still feel bad if something happened negatively to me due to just being white (which actually does happen quite alot here), but i feel i wouldn't really care as much.

And considering I am from south africa I also realise exactly how racism has changed, eg, for SA Unis a certain percentage HAS to be of black race...

But anything that a white person says that goes against a black person there will be some sort of deal about it, where as if the other way around, nothing will really happen except in extreme cases...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Why do you think THEY brought them?
    if you read the whole arguement, he was saying its the chiefs fault for selling, and i was claiming its their fault for buying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    I would actually have to agree with you here, i am white though... but i live in a majorly mixed society, and though everyone gets along, there is still loads of racism, and I also find that many black people tend to use slavery etc as an excuse... like this really will sound bad almost, but i feel many black people seem to actually be more sensitive in terms of racism than white people, like i would still feel bad if something happened negatively to me due to just being white (which actually does happen quite alot here), but i feel i wouldn't really care as much.

And considering I am from south africa I also realise exactly how racism has changed, eg, for SA Unis a certain percentage HAS to be of black race...

But anything that a white person says that goes against a black person there will be some sort of deal about it, where as if the other way around, nothing will really happen except in extreme cases...
    well since black people are the majority in SA then they have to be the majority at all unis right?

ReputationRep:
    Meh being black myself theres one attitude that annoys me. Thats when a black person blames their entire situation on white people and slavery. For example, if a black person has the opportunity to go to school but does not bother to work, then later on if they struggle to find a job it is ridiculous to just blame it on slavery when they were given the opportunity to learn and benefit from it, whereas there are people back in Africa that dont even have the chance at decent education. Too many black people in the UK will blame their bad predicament on slavery when really they have been given the same opportunities as everybody else but just have not taken it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    10pm, BBC2, Sunday, have a look.
    lost kingdoms of africa. Is that just a referral or a point regarding my comment?

ReputationRep:
    if you read the whole arguement, he was saying its the chiefs fault for selling, and i was claiming its their fault for buying.
    Id go a bit further and say they were both to blame.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.