Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is racism against blacks worse than racism against whites? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    well since black people are the majority in SA then they have to be the majority at all unis right?
    not necessarily... but the law actually says that a certain percentage of the uni has to be of black race, as well as many of the companies... people don't actually get accepted based on merit as much anymore, like i am not fighting against the system as i know the reason why this is done, but many white people are aiming for lower unis because they don't believe they will get in, not because they aren't clever or clever enough, but because of the law and that the chances are they actually wont get in... and many back people, though getting a better education, actually are working less as there is less motivation to get in, and many white people, though working harder for high school, don't get into as good of a uni and end up getting a lower degree which reduces the overall growth in education for white people...

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as half black person, the problem is to do with the system that backs up the racism. In this predominantly white culture there is an assumption that being black is inferior, and this alone makes racism against blacks far more effective in having detrimental qualities. Its comparable to saying why is giving abuse to the geeks, worse than giving abuse to the cool/popular kids, in a predominantly white society where everyone is surprised if you're black and sucessful, black people don't have the same insitutional support to be able to brush off racism. They see the societal negative stereotyping and the real negativity within the black community which affirms the said racism.

ReputationRep:
    Whites were always considered the Majority, and still are in some cases, although that will change very soon if it hasn't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.

Assuming you're really black, people like you will bring to the demise of racism.

Just one point about the so called "slavery". As you start to notice, slavery never had anything to do with race, ever.

The backs in the cotton fields where captured and enslaved by other blacks in Africa, then had to work for white people, then eventually where freed by other white people.
    IN THE MEANWHILE
    In Europe white people where enslaved by other white people. During the industrial revolution people worked in terrible conditions and many died because of overworking. The situation of English workers right after the industrial revolution was in no way different from the black slaves in America. Still, they were white.

It's not about races. It's about social classes.

ReputationRep:
    Its a fair point.

:yawn: This thread have been done so many times OP :grumble:
    Lemme give you a hint: history

Not that I agree with it, but :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    How many times have these threads been raised?

Can we understand this is never down to one persons view alone, no matter how influential, it takes people to buy the claptrap and follow it.

As such socioty is to blame /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    Assuming you're really black, people like you will bring to the demise of racism.

Just one point about the so called "slavery". As you start to notice, slavery never had anything to do with race, ever.

The backs in the cotton fields where captured and enslaved by other blacks in Africa, then had to work for white people, then eventually where freed by other white people.
    IN THE MEANWHILE
    In Europe white people where enslaved by other white people. During the industrial revolution people worked in terrible conditions and many died because of overworking. The situation of English workers right after the industrial revolution was in no way different from the black slaves in America. Still, they were white.

O God this is a horrific, horrific understanding of the slave trade. THe transatlantic slave trade had EVERYTHING to do with race. If it did not they would have enslaved white people as well. Yes it is true that black people sold these slaves to white people but in reality the slavery that was in Africa was nothing like what they experienced in America/Europe/the Carribean. Firstly the slaves were robbed of their humanity. The white justification for slavery was that "you are black, which means you are not fully human and so it is ok for us to enslave you". The situation for black slaves in America was in no way similar to white industrial workers in Britain. Firstly these white Industrial workeers were seen as human under the law and were protected under the law. It was fully acceptible for a slave owner to rape or kill a slave that pissed him off. An industrialist was never able to do the same. Industrial workers were not deprived of their culture, their name and their humanity. Slaves were. A slave could be killed for learning to read or write. Industrial workers actually got state funded elementary education by the 1870s. Please tell me how in any way the plight of black slaves was the same as that of white miners.

And do you really think that someone who says he is friends with EDL members is going to bring the demise of racism

ReputationRep:

IN THE MEANWHILE

LOL! You really are stupid!

You're comparing the working conditions of whites during the industrial revolution to the treatment of black people during the slave trade and after! Read your history books! Moron!!

ReputationRep:
    i know blak people, if one threw a stone i'd throw one back, no race involved, i get told i'm racist because i don't like this one black guy, but really he is just a lazy *******!

ReputationRep:
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.
    Yeah what you should have done maybe was to not state you're black, then let everyone call you a racist then be like 'I'm black, fool'. lol. I just think it would have been more entertaining that way...

But yeah you have a fair point in your post. Sometimes I think different races won't talk to me unless they absolutely have to because I'm white.. I usually put it down to paranoia... and I don't particularly want to test it. However when I speak to other people about it the general consensus seems to be 'minorities tend to stick with minorities'. I'm friends with some people with different ethnic backgrounds.. but not many compared with how many my friends from ethnic backgrounds are friends with, if that makes sense... and when they are around my friends, they RARELY talk to me.. again, I could just be paranoid.

ReputationRep:

blacks are discriminated in societies were the majority is white due to the biological difference (black), not because they used to be slaves (in my opinion). Discriminating against someone's ancestry is foolish - i dont care what your parents, grandparents and great grandparents did - i judge people by who they are, and not if they come from a long line of rapists/aristocrats/slaves.

and hey, not everyone is equal, and not everyone has equal opportunities. im sure if i went to south africa i wouldnt have the same job opportunities as a black. the world aint fair - live with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it as racism when it comes from black people to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand racism, we all were black at one time all be it a very long time ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bannage)
    O God this is a horrific, horrific understanding of the slave trade. THe transatlantic slave trade had EVERYTHING to do with race. If it did not they would have enslaved white people as well. Yes it is true that black people sold these slaves to white people but in reality the slavery that was in Africa was nothing like what they experienced in America/Europe/the Carribean. Firstly the slaves were robbed of their humanity. The white justification for slavery was that "you are black, which means you are not fully human and so it is ok for us to enslave you". The situation for black slaves in America was in no way similar to white industrial workers in Britain. Firstly these white Industrial workeers were seen as human under the law and were protected under the law. It was fully acceptible for a slave owner to rape or kill a slave that pissed him off. An industrialist was never able to do the same. Industrial workers were not deprived of their culture, their name and their humanity. Slaves were. A slave could be killed for learning to read or write. Industrial workers actually got state funded elementary education by the 1870s. Please tell me how in any way the plight of black slaves was the same as that of white miners.

The laws that were eventually enforced came about only because of the resistance of those workers. It was not a free gift of the capitalism. So there is no difference in the way that neither "employers" showed any restaint in hitting the subordinates.

And english workers were subject to other things that black slaves did not have to endure. For example the job market, the constant possibility of being unemployed.
    We can say that, as the black slave represents a cost, the employer needs to feed him, to shelter him, and to cure him. But it doesn't have to do any of those thing for the white worker, that have actually to compete each other to reach the situation of the black worker.

And if you care only about the bodycount, loads of white workers were killed by or in their jobs.

----------------------

And what can I say to that ********. Get an history book that goes beyond the liberal white guilt propaganda. And you still have to answer to the fact that WHITE people freed the black slaves.
    So why are they still pissed off about those (few) whites who enslaved them, and not grateful to the (lots) of white who freed them?

(Original post by Bannage)
    And do you really think that someone who says he is friends with EDL members is going to bring the demise of racism
    Racism exists because white people see that wrongs are being done to them, right here and now.

ReputationRep:
    It ain't!

ReputationRep:
    The laws that were eventually enforced came about only because of the resistance of those workers. It was not a free gift of the capitalism. So there is no difference in the way that neither "employers" showed any restaint in hitting the subordinates.

And english workers were subject to other things that black slaves did not have to endure. For example the job market, the constant possibility of being unemployed.
    We can say that, as the black slave represents a cost, the employer needs to feed him, to shelter him, and to cure him. But it doesn't have to do any of those thing for the white worker, that have actually to compete each other to reach the situation of the black worker.

And if you care only about the bodycount, loads of white workers were killed by or in their jobs.

----------------------

And what can I say to that ********. Get an history book that goes beyond the liberal white guilt propaganda. And you still have to answer to the fact that WHITE people freed the black slaves.
    So why are they still pissed off about those (few) whites who enslaved them, and not grateful to the (lots) of white who freed them
    Sigh. Another "the liberal media is secretly out to destroy the lives of middle class white males" imbecile. I'm sorry but the workers never had to fight for any laws to protect them from being murdered and raped. Those laws were always there because English law saw them as HUMAN BEINGS whereas Black slaves were not seen as the same under the US Constitution. This isn't liberal propaganda this is fact. Your point about white workers having to competer to be in the position of black slaves is ********. Yes I will not deny that white workers had it hard but you act as if the salve owners were under some sort of obligation to feed their slaves or cure them.
    Lots of whites did not free black people. Don't be silly. Lots of whites did treat them like **** after they were freed. (If your referring to the Civil War any historian will tell you abolition was not the main aim of the Unionists). If someone shoots me but calls an ambulance so that I am just paralysed instead of dead should I be grateful because he called the ambulance or should I be pissed off that he paralysed me in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    if you read the whole arguement, he was saying its the chiefs fault for selling, and i was claiming its their fault for buying.
    If they weren't selling we couldn't buy.
    The seller is just as bad; or worse, than the buyer.

(Original post by Bluelight)
    Speaking as half black person, the problem is to do with the system that backs up the racism. In this predominantly white culture there is an assumption that being black is inferior, and this alone makes racism against blacks far more effective in having detrimental qualities. Its comparable to saying why is giving abuse to the geeks, worse than giving abuse to the cool/popular kids, in a predominantly white society where everyone is surprised if you're black and sucessful, black people don't have the same insitutional support to be able to brush off racism. They see the societal negative stereotyping and the real negativity within the black community which affirms the said racism.
    If I was able to, I would give you negative rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    If this is a serious post (I have no idea, but someone's already called troll) then I recommend you give this a read. A bit heavygoing, but interesting (if in places outdated/un-PC).
    It's terribly outdated though, a black frenchman is no longer a novelty, indeed in many parts of France it is the norm.

ReputationRep:
    Oh OP it isn't worse or better, Homo Sapiens are Homo Sapiens and rudeness like racism is bad whoever is responsible, frankly I refuse to recognise ambigous concepts like ethnicity - probably because I come from a mixed background.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.