Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.

You stated that us blacks are now getting positive discrimination just take advantage of it :yep:

But i know what you mean about how white racism isn't taken seriously at all, but what can you do it will probably stop in a few decades time as the older generation in hitlers time would be gone and people wouldn't care too much about race as much:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Watch the BBC news for a week and tell me there is no positive discrimination. Oh, and please don't try to tell me that black, asian, disabled or gay people make so much better news readers than white people.
    :rofl: I diddn't realise gay or disabled people couldn't be white. Real talk though a black or asian or gay news reader is an individual that some black newsreaders are gonna be better than some white ones. I do watch BBC News and notice that the majority of the newsreaders are indeed white. The only time I see more ethnic ones is on BBC London News but then ethnic people are extremeley common in London which also happens to be where the BBC is based:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Sensible...like I better not walk on that pavement it looks slippy sensible?
    You do know black people where forced to walk on the pavement, you got problems if you want to be sarcastic about discrimination:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    You do know black people where forced to walk on the pavement, you got problems if you want to be sarcastic about discrimination:cool:
    What the **** are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    It is not worse at all.
    Racism is racism no matter what the colour.

The reason it appears worse is because some thick liberals believe we owe you something for slavery. My view is, its history. Get over it. Most races have had slavery at some point whether it is blacks, arabs or whites.

I don't think it's fair to tell black people to 'get over it', that in itself is just insensitive. History is not history, because we're supposed to learn from it. Or should we just forget about the Holocaust and let it happen again, after all, it was in the past. How many black people do you know that go harping on about how they didn't get a job, ultimately because of slavery? As a mixed race person, i'm so tired of people thinking that i'm going to be offended by them saying certain things because of my colour, or people assuming that i'm going to blame me not getting into uni because i'm black.
    And you might want to have a think about who invented political correctness, or do you really believe the rubbish, that it's the 'loony left' and 'over-sensitive minorities' complaining about Christmas and St Georges day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bannage)
    :rofl: I diddn't realise gay or disabled people couldn't be white. Real talk though a black or asian or gay news reader is an individual that some black newsreaders are gonna be better than some white ones. I do watch BBC News and notice that the majority of the newsreaders are indeed white. The only time I see more ethnic ones is on BBC London News but then ethnic people are extremeley common in London which also happens to be where the BBC is based:rolleyes:
    You must be watching a different programme to me, then. Ethnic minorities make up 8% of the population, but there is no way in hell that 92% of the news readers are white. You're just in denial if you honestly think that. I've sat through episodes of the 10 o'clock news and not seen a single white person before.

ReputationRep:
    You must be watching a different programme to me, then. Ethnic minorities make up 8% of the population, but there is no way in hell that 92% of the news readers are white. You're just in denial if you honestly think that. I've sat through episodes of the 10 o'clock news and not seen a single white person before.
    So what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.
    Well, I think at the time when the law said you had to put down your ethnicity, it did help to get non-White people jobs, as perhaps some of the job interviewees were racist in that 'back-ward' generation if you get what I mean
    Today, I don't think that is really a problem. But yeah if white people just HAPPEN to be the best at that job, a black person could say "RACIST" and vice versa. So yeah, this kind of does give people a bit more reassurance and stops people calling each other racists still, even though that person may not be the best for the job.

ReputationRep:
    So what?
    He said that positive discrimination does not exist. I'm giving evidence that it does.

Christ, just because I've mentioned that the BBC has a disproportionate amount of ethnic minorities doesn't mean I'm about to go and burn a cross in someone's garden or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, you are so sad.

ReputationRep:
    He said that positive discrimination does not exist. I'm giving evidence that it does.
    No you are not, your talking about news readers..just because they have a job doesn't mean they got their via positive discrimination.

Christ, just because I've mentioned that the BBC has a disproportionate amount of ethnic minorities doesn't mean I'm about to go and burn a cross in someone's garden or anything.
    Why so defensive? I never said you were KKK.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Jesus, you are so sad.
    Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    No you are not, your talking about news readers..just because they have a job doesn't mean they got their via positive discrimination.

Why so defensive? I never said you were KKK.....
    You're being incredibly naive if you actually think there is some quality which makes people who are part of a minority group (be it black, asian, gay, disabled) better at being a newsreader than white, straight, able-bodied people. Either that, or you think that more people from minority backgrounds applied to these jobs, which again is incredibly naive.

Clearly a thread for trolls.

ReputationRep:
    You're being incredibly naive if you actually think there is some quality which makes people who are part of a minority group (be it black, asian, gay, disabled) better at being a newsreader than white, straight, able-bodied people.
    How many of these newsreaders are minorities anyway...you're making out everybody is black. Whenever I watch the news it always seems to be Huw Edwards...if you look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_New...day_Presenters most people on the News are white - although I still fail to see why you care - perhaps I am just being "naive"

Either that, or you think that more people from minority backgrounds applied to these jobs, which again is incredibly naive.
    How the **** do you know the ethnicity of the applicants?

ReputationRep:
    Well thats not true is it? Seeing as the main 10 O'Clock News presenters are Chris Huw and Fiona Bruce who are both white so I don't really know why you are talking out of your arse. Yeah sometimes you'll get Geroge Alegayah instead of one of those 2 but still you must be really gassed up if you can honestly say that you can watch the 10 O'Clock news without seeing a single white face. Yes 92% of the population is white but the BBC is situated in London where the demographics (you know what that means don't you?) are very different to that of the rest of the country. Even if the bullsh1t you were spewing was legitimate you really have it good if not seeing enough white news readers is the worst way in which discrimination effects you

ReputationRep:
    Grow up.
    Well he has a point...why do you record the ethnicity of BBC news presentors and then make unsubstantiated claims about positive discrimination at the BBC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bannage)
    Well thats not true is it? Seeing as the main 10 O'Clock News presenters are Chris Huw and Fiona Bruce who are both white so I don't really know why you are talking out of your arse. Yeah sometimes you'll get Geroge Alegayah instead of one of those 2 but still you must be really gassed up if you can honestly say that you can watch the 10 O'Clock news without seeing a single white face. Yes 92% of the population is white but the BBC is situated in London where the demographics (you know what that means don't you?) are very different to that of the rest of the country. Even if the bullsh1t you were spewing was legitimate you really have it good if not seeing enough white news readers is the worst way in which discrimination effects you
    I'll tell you who the news readers were:

George Alagiah
    Mishal Husain

Followed by the weather with Reham Khan

Even my local news (for the south east, i.e., very white area compared to London) had Dani Sinha that day.

Well he has a point...why do you record the ethnicity of BBC news presentors and then make unsubstantiated claims about positive discrimination at the BBC?
    I would surely think that "recording" (and I wouldn't describe "noticing" as "recording", but whatever) their ethnicity means my claims are pretty well substantiated, actually.

How many of these newsreaders are minorities anyway...you're making out everybody is black. Whenever I watch the news it always seems to be Huw Edwards...if you look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_New...day_Presenters most people on the News are white - although I still fail to see why you care - perhaps I am just being "naive"

How the **** do you know the ethnicity of the applicants?
    First paragraph: See above.

Second paragraph: Oh come on. You're actually being absurd if you wish to state that there isn't anything other than a statistically representative (or even under-representation) number of non-white people who apply.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you who the news readers were:

George Alagiah
    Mishal Husain

Followed by the weather with Reham Khan

Even my local news (for the south east, i.e., very white area compared to London) had Dani Sinha that day.
    :nopity: Oh noes, however did you cope? Even the weather with Rehman Khan...how hard you have it :hugs:

I would surely think that "recording" (and I wouldn't describe "noticing" as "recording", but whatever) their ethnicity means my claims are pretty well substantiated, actually.
    No it doesn't....you have noticed that minorities are on BBC News....not that positive discrimination is taking place. if you go into a London McDonalds or cleaning company and notice it is full of minorities does that mean the company is positively discriminating...no probably not.

Second paragraph: Oh come on. You're actually being absurd if you wish to state that there isn't anything other than a statistically representative (or even under-representation) number of non-white people who apply.
    I have no idea, I don't even know how news readers are selected.

ReputationRep:
    :nopity: Oh noes, however did you cope? Even the weather with Rehman Khan...how hard you have it :hugs:
    This has nothing to do with me "feeling sorry for myself", I have no idea why you think that. This is about whether or not the BBC positively discriminate. Anyway, if you want to believe that then fine, but you've still conceded that there are a dispropotionate amount of ethnic minorities on the BBC.

No it doesn't....you have noticed that minorities are on BBC News....not that positive discrimination is taking place. if you go into a London McDonalds or cleaning company and notice it is full of minorities does that mean the company is positively discriminating...no probably not.
    London McDonalds and cleaning companies aren't at all comparable to being a news reader who will be seen by millions every day. Last time I heard, the reason we have immigration in this country is so that the immigrants will do the low paid unskilled jobs like the ones you've mentioned - is it any surprise they're overrepresented there? Liberals have also told me that fewer minorities apply to high paid jobs (such as being a news reader), the fact that the BBC is London based makes no difference for this reason.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.