The Student Room Group

Why is racism against blacks worse than racism against whites?

Scroll to see replies

Good Apollo
He said that positive discrimination does not exist. I'm giving evidence that it does.

Christ, just because I've mentioned that the BBC has a disproportionate amount of ethnic minorities doesn't mean I'm about to go and burn a cross in someone's garden or anything.

Considering there are only about 24 regular newsreaders on the BBC, and of those 24, about 4 are from minorities, then it is pretty ludicrous to call positive discrimination. The group is far too small for you to draw any conclusions. If there were 100 newsreaders and 20 were minorities then your point might start making a small amount of sense, but currently, I think not.
You-Rock-My-World
I' If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races?

lol thats pretty much the opposite of what happens. Organisation have done research and proved that people with asain or african names had to send around 10 more cv's to get the same response white people got with the same credentials.
Bishamon
Hmmm...

Some of your previous comments:

Also

Hmmm, a black guy who thinks giving arabs "special treatment" is only done to prevent being labelled racist and associates with members of the far right EDL. You must be the whitest black guy in the UK, somehow I doubt this, more like a sad sorry excuse for a bigot trying to race and troll bait at the same time.

THIS IS A TROLL THREAD, PLEASE LEAVE.

The point still stands?
Reply 123
Bannage
O God this is a horrific, horrific understanding of the slave trade. THe transatlantic slave trade had EVERYTHING to do with race. If it did not they would have enslaved white people as well. Yes it is true that black people sold these slaves to white people but in reality the slavery that was in Africa was nothing like what they experienced in America/Europe/the Carribean. Firstly the slaves were robbed of their humanity. The white justification for slavery was that "you are black, which means you are not fully human and so it is ok for us to enslave you". The situation for black slaves in America was in no way similar to white industrial workers in Britain. Firstly these white Industrial workeers were seen as human under the law and were protected under the law. It was fully acceptible for a slave owner to rape or kill a slave that pissed him off. An industrialist was never able to do the same. Industrial workers were not deprived of their culture, their name and their humanity. Slaves were. A slave could be killed for learning to read or write. Industrial workers actually got state funded elementary education by the 1870s. Please tell me how in any way the plight of black slaves was the same as that of white miners.

And do you really think that someone who says he is friends with EDL members is going to bring the demise of racism

This^^
Because it's more widespread, and it's history is more recent than just the colonial period, what about Civil Rights in the US, or the National Front (cough **BNP** cough) in the Uk.
Why are people bringing up the BBC?
Race does not matter when it comes down to the BBC, what is important is accent.
I HATE NEWS REPORTERS WITH ACCENTS!

I don't care what accent, I just hate it. Damn you accented reporters.
Silly_Wabbit
Considering there are only about 24 regular newsreaders on the BBC, and of those 24, about 4 are from minorities, then it is pretty ludicrous to call positive discrimination. The group is far too small for you to draw any conclusions. If there were 100 newsreaders and 20 were minorities then your point might start making a small amount of sense, but currently, I think not.

Just watch any documentary containing racism on the BBC, it's always whites against blacks or asians. I recall that episode of panarama where the two aisan reporters went undercover to film racsim against them. But you will never see any documentary like this with the races reversed, even though it does happen. Its not just documentaries either, its also on a lot of dramas.
TheLeader
lol thats pretty much the opposite of what happens. Organisation have done research and proved that people with asain or african names had to send around 10 more cv's to get the same response white people got with the same credentials.

Probably just liberal white guilt propaganda. Take a look at these facts from the British Crime Survey:

The most recent analysis shows that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities (BME) said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. In the same period, 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim.

Focusing on violent racial attacks, 49,000 BME were victims. Among whites, the number was 77,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6128466.stm
You-Rock-My-World
Probably just liberal white guilt propaganda. Take a look at these facts from the British Crime Survey:

Since 90% of the British population is white, shouldn't there be a much bigger gap between those figures?
Silly_Wabbit
Since 90% of the British population is white, shouldn't there be a much bigger gap between those figures?

The point is a racially motivated murder of a black person will make front page news. I have never seen front page news of racism against a white person.
near_comatose
The point still stands?

How can I possibly be a troll due to the huge amount of pos rep I have gained from this thread? I haven't had any neg rep.
Reply 131
You-Rock-My-World
I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.

reps my friend...you have the right idea. Thinking about discrimination as equal among all races/sexes etc will bring equality into society
You-Rock-My-World

The most recent analysis shows that in 2004, 87,000 people from black or minority ethnic communities (BME) said they had been a victim of a racially motivated crime. In the same period, 92,000 white people said they had also fallen victim.

Focusing on violent racial attacks, 49,000 BME were victims. Among whites, the number was 77,000.

I doubt it's liberal white guilt - it was a government organisation. They would not just make up statistics because they were guilty - that doesn't make sense to me.

Those statistics suggest 2 things to me:
1. There are more white people than black so there is bound to be more that have suffered racial abuse and definitley more likely to report. Ethnic minorities suffer it so much they don't even consider reporting it alot of the time.
Good Apollo
I'll tell you who the news readers were:

George Alagiah
Mishal Husain

Followed by the weather with Reham Khan

Even my local news (for the south east, i.e., very white area compared to London) had Dani Sinha that day.

Hello,

I live in the south east too, and I cant remember ever having black/ asian newreaders.... in fact the only one I can think of is Trevor McDonald....And Moira Stewart??

I'm not getting into any deep intellectual arguments, but just stating this fact.
Reply 134
near_comatose
The point still stands?

Why does it matter, empathy is a rare art, regardless of race.

Racism in all forms can all bring negatives.
Reply 135
Teaddict
hahaha classic...
Remind me to give you rep.

Reminder for rep ;D

And for a serious answer: I aggree with what OP says, although its not that bad..
Bishamon
Why does it matter, empathy is a rare art, regardless of race.

Racism in all forms can all bring negatives.

That's great, all I said was the point still stands. I'm also pretty sure I saw you calling someone 'sad' in this thread too, but you dug through the OP's post count and made a large post to call him a troll? :rolleyes:
Original post by You-Rock-My-World
I'm black myself, and I have to say that this is certainly true. A lot of my friends seem to have a chip on their shoulder, all because of slavery. Now I don't believe slavery should be forgotten about, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for positive discrimination or racism against whites. The Romans and Greeks took white slaves from Europe, but the descendants from slaves do not hold it against them. Slavery has happened all over the world and still happens in some places, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse for racism.

I know oppression has happened as well, but aren't white people being paid back because of positive discrimination? If I apply for a job, I'm often told to put down my ethnicity for a "survey". Surely this is just so companies do not seem racist and hire people from different races? But it shouldn't be law to have to hire minorities, it should be that the most suitable person gets the job, not because they are a minority. Its not just racism either, a similar thing is happening because of feminism, even though women make up the majority of the population.

Its not just jobs though, it is also society in general. If I was racist to a white person, it wouldn't be taken as seriously as if a white person was racist to me. If I went to a police station because of racism, they would investigate it. If a white person went because of racism towards him, they would laugh at him.

People need to open their eyes and see positive discrimination does not bring equality, if anything it brings more inequality.

Edit- If I was white and wrote this, I would be called racist.

You are white

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending