Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For all those who have done this in the past, how do you do it???

(Im on AQA Lit B spec, but any other examining board students are free to comment )

ReputationRep:
    Work really really hard. Choose books you enjoy for your coursework in A2 year (we got to choose 2 books to write a comparitive essay on) and pick a simple title. Dedicate lots of time to re-reading the books you are studying before your exam, and learn 20-30 quotes for each (I wrote them on note cards and got my Dad to test me on them!) that are relevant to the themes you have highlighted in the texts.

Don't stress in the exam, practice exam technique before hand and stay on top of your time. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Work really really hard. Choose books you enjoy for your coursework in A2 year (we got to choose 2 books to write a comparitive essay on) and pick a simple title.
    :mad: LUCKY! My college chooses the books for us, but they're simple books anyway so its ok

Thanks for the other advice tho

ReputationRep:
    Any other advice people? I really want an A

Also any tips for getting an A at both AS and A2 when resitting the AS exam and doing the A2 exam in June???

ReputationRep:
    Make links/references to texts within and outside the syllabus.
    They love a candidate who knows good literature.

We're told to do this for for an A*, but I'm sure it'll be useful for an A too. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justbuildingmydam)
    Make links/references to texts within and outside the syllabus.
    They love a candidate who knows good literature.

We're told to do this for for an A*, but I'm sure it'll be useful for an A too. :-)
    I understand, but I don't understand lool...how wud u do that?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    follow the assessment objectives. point evidence explain. and lots of language analysis. that's how i got my A.

don't make references/links to outside texts unless that's in the assessment objectives.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what texts you're studying, but for example, if you're writing about 1984, you could refer to (even if it's just in passing) other dystopian novels, and if you're studying anything similar in your course, you could draw links with those too.
    Hope that helps.

I redid my first draft by adding in bits like that, and got a tentative A* for my first piece of coursework.

I'm on OCR though, it might be different for your board.

ReputationRep:
    Get a 100% in the coursework then get a B in the exam - note that's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the exam too much, just practice being able to write and finish a decent essay in the required amount of time. For my AS I didn't do any wider reading and got 111/120 in the final exam.

ReputationRep:
    know your texts and do really well in the coursework + if your doing aqa learn some good quotes for wider reading

ReputationRep:
    For AQA, learning to confidently incorporate the assessment objectives into your writing is key.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming

ReputationRep:
    Look up different literary contexts - whether in coursework or in the exam, referring to the period in which the text was written is always helpful.

Looking at authorial intent is always a winner as well - you're recognising a purpose behind the writing, and hence your argument will look more coherent.

I got a B last year, but it was two marks off an A, so hopefully you'll still acknowledge this as relevant advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwalusimo1)
    For all those who have done this in the past, how do you do it???

(Im on AQA Lit B spec, but any other examining board students are free to comment )
    I got an A at AS on this board

Get the coursework grade as high as you can which for me involved re-writing it multiple times,including your birthday evening.... :/

My exam was only a B and i think i just SCRAPED an A.
    It's an A nonetheless :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding the comparing coursework a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Any tips would be massively appreciated

ReputationRep:
    That's what I want to know too ¬_¬

I panicked when I saw the unseen text last year in the exam and nearly failed the exam because I spent too much time analysis it instead of writing D:

Don't do what I did XD

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, because I'm study AS level English Lit too, which pre 20th century book did you do...
    We are doing Great Expectations by Charles Dickens... Not my favourite...
    We also studied The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    I'm finding the comparing coursework a bit of a nightmare at the moment. Any tips would be massively appreciated
    oh gosh same here =[...and my first draft is due on thursday :eek: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwalusimo1)
    Any other advice people? I really want an A

Also any tips for getting an A at both AS and A2 when resitting the AS exam and doing the A2 exam in June???
    I'm currently sitting the OCR board English Literature course. My Boyfriend got an A in his A-Levels last year, and he says the key is practice essays, practice essays and more practice essays. Ask your teacher for extra titles you can write about. My weakness in English is essay writing and through writing practice ones for January moduals I've worked my average grade from D/C to C/B. I really need a B in English for Uni, good luck with it (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.