Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I emailed BBC Education concerning OCR A2 biology. Watch

ReputationRep:
    here is a copy of the message that i've sent to bbc education team

Dear BBC Education,

May I inform you that there is a similar exam protest on facebook regarding the OCR A2 Biology Unit 1.
    I hope you can assure me that this exam protest will receive its fair share of the news coverage, so that AQA is
    not descriminated against.

here is the link to the facebook protest which hope you can look into it which
    is pretty much similar to the AQA one but with smaller numbers, however the number is significant.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=270786106979

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

ReputationRep:
    What was wrong with the exam?

edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8480563.stm (this is about the exam right?)

ReputationRep:
    I am going to sent an email to OCR asking wtf they were thinking.
    I did so much revision for Bio and it felt as if all that was wasted for nothing. There no facutal questions on the paper what so ever.
    too many 'suggest this' or 'suggest that' bla bla..
    well I got a suggestion for you: wtf were you thinking??? Seals? seriously?? :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New Username)
    I did so much revision for Bio and it felt as if all that was wasted for nothing. There no facutal questions on the paper what so ever.
    well I got a suggestion for you: wtf were you thinking??? Seals? seriously?? :zomg:
    I just hope the OCR biology facebook protest
    will make its way through the news:p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there will be a normal distribution of marks.

Some people liked those questions.

ReputationRep:
    So what happened?
    Did they just ask questions completely unrelated to the spec or did you all just **** up :p:

ReputationRep:
    The BBC link is on about AQA and the facebook group is on about OCR. Make your minds up!
    edit: nvm...but tbh I doubt they'll do anything.

ReputationRep:
    You e-mailed the BBC and didn't even think to write in proper English? Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You e-mailed the BBC and didn't even think to write in proper English? Good luck with that.
    what do you mean?? at least they can understand it

ReputationRep:
    I remember there being bajillions of "suggest.." questions on OCR old spec, they were usually just a case of applying your knowledge a little or using an ounce of logic at least, they weren't so bad. Haven't seen these ones though so can't really pass comment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    So what happened?
    Did they just ask questions completely unrelated to the spec or did you all just **** up :p:
    it was just a bit out of the blue. As were many other questions.
    There were rarely any questions testing actual knowledge, too many were asking to 'suggest'. There weren't any juicy questions like 'explain how an action potential travels along a neurone etc..'
    they asking stupid things like how the temperature affect the speed of impulse, the last question was a bit like a practical coursework question. oh and don't get me started on the seals.
    It was very different to the past papers, I think that is what threw a lot of people. What annoyed me was that tt was a bit like an AS exam than an A2.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you guys. Luckily I never had to endure completely ridiculous exams although I did have one issue with dodgy marking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    I remember there being bajillions of "suggest.." questions on OCR old spec, they were usually just a case of applying your knowledge a little or using an ounce of logic at least, they weren't so bad. Haven't seen these ones though so can't really pass comment!
    This. The majority of people who probably couldn't answer the questions (providing the question was parallel to the spec) would just learn a model answer and regurgitate it out in the exam. Exams are about contextualizing your knowledge into a given concept and if you cannot do that you do not deserve a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    this ocr a2 unit 1 is nothing compared to a2 central concepts!

ReputationRep:
    it was just a bit out of the blue. As were many other questions.
    There were rarely any questions testing actual knowledge, too many were asking to 'suggest'. There weren't any juicy questions like 'explain how an action potential travels along a neurone etc..'
    they asking stupid things like how the temperature affect the speed of impulse, the last question was a bit like a practical coursework question. oh and don't get me started on the seals.
    It was very different to the past papers, I think that is what threw a lot of people. What annoyed me was that tt was a bit like an AS exam than an A2.
    Exams always change their technique. I sat an Economics paper two weeks back and the whole style of questioning had completely changed. It was on OCR. I'm guessing OCR are designing their papers in order to push the candidate to try and apply their knowledge. Which is exactly what happened in my exam and by the sounds of it your exam too. However I've never taken biology and don't know the extent to which the change was. But from what I've heard, Biology is centred around learning the facts and just spewing them out in the exam, not about applying knowledge which would explain why so many people screwed up.

Surely the exam board would realize they were asking retarded questions?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This is nothing new, OCR have always been putting 20 topics in the spec, and only ask questions about 6-8 of them.

Whats the big fuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    This. The majority of people who probably couldn't answer the questions (providing the question was parallel to the spec) would just learn a model answer and regurgitate it out in the exam. Exams are about contextualizing your knowledge into a given concept and if you cannot do that you do not deserve a good grade.
    I think that was the problem with biology really.. I don't know about other people but we just had model answers shoved at us so much that it took me a few exams to realise I had to stop relying on them :erm: Thankfully that didn't take too long to click, you really just need to in to the exams with an open mind and not regurgitate an answer as soon as you skim over the question.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lucyyy)
    I think that was the problem with biology really.. I don't know about other people but we just had model answers shoved at us so much that it took me a few exams to realise I had to stop relying on them :erm: Thankfully that didn't take too long to click, you really just need to in to the exams with an open mind and not regurgitate an answer as soon as you skim over the question.
    Its still regurgitation, just adaptive regurgitation.

You still need to hit the key words on the OCR Mark schemes to get the marks.

ReputationRep:
    Wait so now students are complaining that A-levels aren't just regurgitation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    here is a copy of the message that i've sent to bbc education team

Dear BBC Education,

May I inform you that there is a similar exam protest on facebook regarding the OCR A2 Biology Unit 1.
    I hope you can assure me that this exam protest will receive its fair share of the news coverage, so that AQA is
    not descriminated against.

here is the link to the facebook protest which hope you can look into it which
    is pretty much similar to the AQA one but with smaller numbers, however the number is significant.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=270786106979

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
    Did you actually use those exact words? because LOL if you did. x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.