Turn on thread page Beta

German Student:Student Finance and Bafög? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm from Germany and I'm going to Uni in England next academic year. I was wondering if anyone of you knows for what kind of support I'm eligible as an EU-student apart from Tution Fee Loan and more importantly, if there are any restrictions concerning an application for both tution fee loan and bafög.

thx for your help

ReputationRep:
    If you or either of your parents is a migrant worker in the UK you can get a maintenance grant worth up to £2,906 and a maintenance loan for up to 3,000-something.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i heard of that, but unfortunately none of them is living in the UK. As far as i know, i won't get a maintenance loan with my status, will i?

ReputationRep:
    no, you wont. dont study in the  uk if u cant afford it...german  unis are much cheaper. bildung m uss man sich leisten koennen hah a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <André>)
    Yeah i heard of that, but unfortunately none of them is living in the UK. As far as i know, i won't get a maintenance loan with my status, will i?
    Nope.:no:

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for Bafög if you are elligible. It's for Germans who study a full-time degree in the UK. Quite new - since 2007 or 2008 I think. The main office is in Cologne.

(As already mentioned) You can apply for a UK/EU loan from the student loans company. They give you about 3,000 each year for tuiton fees. You pay it back once you have an income of above 14,000 (I think).

ReputationRep:
    one year of your tuition fees is even paied by bafög. and you get additional support when studying in the uk.
    have you ever thought about a credit for students? or maybe bildungsfonds.de ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are entitled to Student Finance. You have to apply trough Student Finance European Team. As long as you have been living in Europe or EEA for the past 3 years you will be fine.

You can check all of this at their website direct.gov.uk/studentfinance

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <André>)
    Hey,

I'm from Germany and I'm going to Uni in England next academic year. I was wondering if anyone of you knows for what kind of support I'm eligible as an EU-student apart from Tution Fee Loan and more importantly, if there are any restrictions concerning an application for both tution fee loan and bafög.

thx for your help

Hallo wie gehst dir???? Liven in Germany for 12 years lol where are you planning to study?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    thx for all your answers!

I applied for both student finance and bafoeg now, let's see what i finally get out of it. How long does it usually take Student Finance to reply to your application?

@ doger: The idea of using a bildungsfond is a good one, especially if i should realise i'm not getting along with my budget after a while, although i heard the selection procedure is quite tough.

@cici: hey, gut danke. wo hast du in deutschland gelebt, bzw. wo lebst du jetzt? I'm going to study in Hull from next academic year on

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.