Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Unfairness of the Benefits for Further Education Students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone, I am in the middle of an Access Course

I am hoping to go to Uni this autumn, if I get a place.

I just had to comment about the lack of state help for those who want to go onto Higher Education and go back to College to do an Access Course or more A levels.

The system doesn't allow for retakes or bettering oneself to get more Level 3 qualifications for University. The Jobcentres don't assist students at all and they encourage hard up students to opt out of college and go back onto benefits.

You are not even entitled to the Adult Learners Grant either as it is only available to you if you have no level 3 qualifications. I have 2 bad A levels but they are Level 3 like my current course I am on, so they don't entitle me to the ALG.

So I loose out either way. The system stinks. The JobCentre told me that if I left my course I would get all the unemployment benefits but I don't want to go on the dole. I want to do better for myself and go to University albeit even late.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? I even applied to Charities and no one has offered to help me as I am not on an University Course. Does no one try to help us in betweeners in Further Education?

Welcome any feedback

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.