Turn on thread page Beta

Would getting a pale shade of foundation work? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a werid skin colour and am finding it hard to find a decent shade of foundation. Okay it's not weird but if I put foundation on it kind of make me look slightly yellow or very very slightly orange. My natural skin colour I would say is pale-ish (I am white skined but not pasty dead white) with a little tan but I also burn but not like a lobster. I saw someone mentioned on another thread about a brand on ASOS? All the highstreet brands are rubbish such as rimmel, l'orel, 17 and so on so am looking for a slightly more professional brand.
    Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    MAC do a good range of foundations, for different skin tones. They can do pale foundations as well. I also struggle to find a foundation that isn't orange but at the moment I use L'Oreal True Match in the lightest shade, mixed with moisturiser which seems to lighten it up a bit. I don't wear foundation often enough to justify buying MAC but I hear it works for a lot of people.
    Mineral foundation like Lily Lolo might offer a pale enough shade for you as well.

ReputationRep:
    Mineral wise lily lolo has a great range of shades for different skintones. I'm really pale and find the palest shade of revlon colourstay works really nicely.
    Otherwise maybe visit a few higher end shops/counters; Illamasqua, Mac etc and see what they suggest for you.

ReputationRep:
    I personally find all of MAC's foundations to be too Yellow based for my skin tone.
    You may want to speak to someone at a professional counter like Bobbi Brown or Estee Lauder or Elizabeth Arden.

ReputationRep:
    Like the first person said : MAC
    they are probably the best makeup range available with a pretty wide range of shades, i kno what ure talkin bout because my skin is pale and i fing it helps to use a sponge and apply a thin layer of foundation and then some plae or natural face powder with a brush =) although my skin can be quite dry so to stop it from going flakey putting some moisturiser on first is a good idea =D

ReputationRep:
    I have heard great things from Lily Lolo - and you can order a super cheap sample to try it before you commit to spending any more money (its pretty cheap anyway though tbh) xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melonhead12)
    Hi I have a werid skin colour and am finding it hard to find a decent shade of foundation. Okay it's not weird but if I put foundation on it kind of make me look slightly yellow or very very slightly orange. My natural skin colour I would say is pale-ish (I am white skined but not pasty dead white) with a little tan but I also burn but not like a lobster. I saw someone mentioned on another thread about a brand on ASOS? All the highstreet brands are rubbish such as rimmel, l'orel, 17 and so on so am looking for a slightly more professional brand.
    Thanks for any advice.
    You sound similar to mine and I use Maybelline Mousse Foundation in Ivory I think - blends really well. Like everyone else said give a tester pot a go.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try the make up counters. I find the people working there are very helpful and give good advice especially regarding foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Maybelline dream satin liquid foundation in light porcelain is good though I can't find it anywhere now

ReputationRep:
    Go into a department store and get advice from different make-up counters (by the way I use Clinique and it is amazing, I used to use MAC and they are also fantastic). £20 on a bottle of foundation is really not a lot if you think about how much you'll use it and the fact that you can't live without it (I can't anyway).

EDIT - from what you've said it sounds like you have a lot of yellow in your complexion, look for a foundation with a pinkish base, it should neutralise it. But yeah, go to to make-up counters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    EDIT - from what you've said it sounds like you have a lot of yellow in your complexion, look for a foundation with a pinkish base, it should neutralise it. But yeah, go to to make-up counters.
    No. Foundation should be the same colour as the skin tone. Concealer, would be best used under foundation to correct any blemishes/pigment differences, and then foundation is used over the top to create a smooth, blank canvas.

Foundation should always always be the same colour as the area of the face you're applying it too.

ReputationRep:
    I really like MAC foundation formulations but even the palest shade is too dark for me, if you really are very pale I'd say go for Illamasqua, Nars or Bobbi Brown. I've been colour matched by Illamasqua and Bobbi Brown and both counters were excellent - infact I went to Bobbi Brown last night, I had time to kill in Selfridges, they did my face and it looked so natural.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, have ordered 2 of the MAC foundation tester pots and if they don't work then will go and see counters in debenhams or boots. Thanks for all the help and will keep you posted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melonhead12)
    Thanks for all the advice, have ordered 2 of the MAC foundation tester pots and if they don't work then will go and see counters in debenhams or boots. Thanks for all the help and will keep you posted!
    I had the lightest shade with MAC when I could afford it. They are relaly good and their make is wonderful for sensitive skin.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.