Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just been offered a place from Stephenson College, Durham, which is on the Queens campus in Stockton, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the nightlife there, as I have heard some very mixed reviews.
    I am someone who loves to go out, and really see's uni as a time to be free, going out loaaaaads, clubbing etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get stabbed in stockton

:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I have just been offered a place from Stephenson College, Durham, which is on the Queens campus in Stockton, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the nightlife there, as I have heard some very mixed reviews.
    I am someone who loves to go out, and really see's uni as a time to be free, going out loaaaaads, clubbing etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    There are tons of threads on this in the durham uni forum. Just have a look through those and PM me with any questions you have- i'm a first year there.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to find information about Stockton lately, but I haven't found a whole lot. A quick search on youtube shows you some of the worse aspects of the area but I realise that there will be good aspects too. Current students seem to be very happy with the campus itself. I think you can get to Middlesbrough easily enough for clubs.

I wish I could be more helpful, but hopefully some current students will see this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Hi People,

Im studying at Queens Campus so can probably give you somemore accurate information other than "you'll get stabbed".

Now whilst I am a mature student (only 25 though) I may not go out as much as the rest of people but there are a couple of main nights at Stockton Campus:

STUDENT

Monday - Che Bar, student only, free entry and 80p drinks
    Thursday - Cornerhouse - £3 entry, 80p drinks, student only - this is the biggest student night of the week.
    Friday / Saturday - College events or Durham main nights - Revolver and Planet of Sound.

Anyday - Ollies Bar - Under Mezzino - great little studenty place ran by a great couple who make all there own food and do a wonderful Sunday roast. Always people in here and easy convienent location.

Plus whilst the Waterside Bar (Stephenson and Snows Student Bar) is a little quiet it does get busier on the weekends and when football is on, PLUS has a 12ft screen so a good place to watch. Current special offer there is pint of Fosters £1.30 - cant argue at prices like that!

PLUS Always parties going on in someone flat at halls!

LOCAL

Thursday/Friday/Saturday - Dubliners Pub - closest put to the campus. Nice pub with friendly local people. Kareoke on the days listed and is always a good laugh. Plus they do two meals for £5.50 - great for student savings - this is a good place to start a night out.

Anyday - Royal Oak - Old mans pub in Stockton but cheap cheap cheap. Always got footy on its tv's - has about 30 televisions plus a big screen.

Anyday - CJ's - another sports bar type place.

If you want anymore info on the campus itsself just post on here with your questions.

Cheers

Cerrith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerrith)
    Hi People,

Im studying at Queens Campus so can probably give you somemore accurate information other than "you'll get stabbed".

Now whilst I am a mature student (only 25 though) I may not go out as much as the rest of people but there are a couple of main nights at Stockton Campus:

STUDENT

Monday - Che Bar, student only, free entry and 80p drinks
    Thursday - Cornerhouse - £3 entry, 80p drinks, student only - this is the biggest student night of the week.
    Friday / Saturday - College events or Durham main nights - Revolver and Planet of Sound.

Anyday - Ollies Bar - Under Mezzino - great little studenty place ran by a great couple who make all there own food and do a wonderful Sunday roast. Always people in here and easy convienent location.

Plus whilst the Waterside Bar (Stephenson and Snows Student Bar) is a little quiet it does get busier on the weekends and when football is on, PLUS has a 12ft screen so a good place to watch. Current special offer there is pint of Fosters £1.30 - cant argue at prices like that!

PLUS Always parties going on in someone flat at halls!

LOCAL

Thursday/Friday/Saturday - Dubliners Pub - closest put to the campus. Nice pub with friendly local people. Kareoke on the days listed and is always a good laugh. Plus they do two meals for £5.50 - great for student savings - this is a good place to start a night out.

Anyday - Royal Oak - Old mans pub in Stockton but cheap cheap cheap. Always got footy on its tv's - has about 30 televisions plus a big screen.

Anyday - CJ's - another sports bar type place.

If you want anymore info on the campus itsself just post on here with your questions.

Cheers

Cerrith
    I have a question... what's the new JCR building at stephenson college gonna look like? and what course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    I have a question... what's the new JCR building at stephenson college gonna look like? and what course are you studying?

There is a picture of what it will look like here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/stephenson/
    I think it will have like 4 big rooms, not too sure. Not sure why you want to know what it looks like? Whats probably more important is whats going to be in there surely.

Its ok at Queens campus, I quite enjoy it. You have your close friends, and I guess you can have fun anywhere as long as you have good friends. Also, its not as bad as its made out to be I feel, everything you need is here.

I study medicine, so I dont get as much free time as other some other students, so its fine for me. I cant reccomend it enough for medicine, the teaching and course are both amazing here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_no_mates)
    There is a picture of what it will look like here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/stephenson/
    I think it will have like 4 big rooms, not too sure. Not sure why you want to know what it looks like? Whats probably more important is whats going to be in there surely.

Its ok at Queens campus, I quite enjoy it. You have your close friends, and I guess you can have fun anywhere as long as you have good friends. Also, its not as bad as its made out to be I feel, everything you need is here.

I study medicine, so I dont get as much free time as other some other students, so its fine for me. I cant reccomend it enough for medicine, the teaching and course are both amazing here!

haha, yes i've seen those diagrams before, i'm just intrigued to see what its actually gonna be like.. along with any other part of stephenson tbh! I'm just impaitent to see whether i'll get a good vibe about it, the open day is miles away and i'm not intrested in pool tables! I DID hear you have a gym at stephenson, which would be v convinient, is this correct?
    I agree, it's all about the people at the end of the day, which makes me even more impaitent for the open day. People and conviniences are a big thing for me so i'm liking the sound of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    haha, yes i've seen those diagrams before, i'm just intrigued to see what its actually gonna be like.. along with any other part of stephenson tbh! I'm just impaitent to see whether i'll get a good vibe about it, the open day is miles away and i'm not intrested in pool tables! I DID hear you have a gym at stephenson, which would be v convinient, is this correct?
    I agree, it's all about the people at the end of the day, which makes me even more impaitent for the open day. People and conviniences are a big thing for me so i'm liking the sound of this
    Yeah its alot about convenience for me too, the gym is not in stephenson, but in the Ebsworth building, which is likely to be where most of your lectures are going to be, its about 1 min walk away from stevo.
    Yeah you newcomers are going to be lucky, the new JCR sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    i got a place from stephenson and i'm gonna visit the college during march!
    quite excited about visiting durham since it's in my top 3 preferences out of 5!
    but not sure whether i'll put it as one of the choices though :/

ReputationRep:
    is stockton a safe place to live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_no_mates)
    Yeah its alot about convenience for me too, the gym is not in stephenson, but in the Ebsworth building, which is likely to be where most of your lectures are going to be, its about 1 min walk away from stevo.
    Yeah you newcomers are going to be lucky, the new JCR sounds good!
    the new gym this year is meant to be in the new sports building, which is about 30 seconds away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KylieKuang)
    Teesside's crime rate has been very high. But improvements and reductions have been made in recent years. It's still quite high, amongst the highest in the region (though it must be remembered that Durham's crime rate is very low, Newcastle and Sunderland are around the national average or maybe just below).

I don't think many places are particularly unsafe providing you use common sense. You're always very unlikely to be a victim of serious crime wherever you are in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KylieKuang)
    Im starting with 7 days WOOOO and when I looked around the area of the campus I don't see much reason for 'chavs' to actually be hanging around the colleges and teaching depts but som1 may go out of their way to target a student just like in any town/city. Over the bridge in center of stockton there may be chavs, but I dunno yet.

Here are some crime stats that came up when I searched http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crim...n-on-tees.html . Seems all is under average for crime in the uk. If you went to a London uni you would probs in year 2-3 be subject to worse crime.

Just don't put yourself in a place where you can be preyed on and you should be fine?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    OMG where I live is so bad compared to Stockton-on-Tees http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-reading.html . Im moving up in the world YAYYYY!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansonfish)
    OMG where I live is so bad compared to Stockton-on-Tees http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-reading.html . Im moving up in the world YAYYYY!!!
    To be fair (and I know I used crime stats earlier) but it's difficult to compare stats between forces. I think different forces record crimes differently. You also need to consider that this is reported crimes and many crimes don't get reported.

But yes, Stockton isn't as bad as many think. I don't think its close proximity to Middlesbrough or its, what is in part, still slightly industrial/post-industrial character helps.

I said earlier that the Cleveland force has high crime rates. This is, or certainly was, true. But they did fall under Mr Robocop (Ray Mallon, former Chief Constable and now Mayor of Middlesbrough). Stockton's are amongst the lowest in Teesside. Lower than Middlesbrough anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What is Stockton actually like? im torn between 3 universities, Durham being one of them.

francesca

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgrimwade)
    What is Stockton actually like? im torn between 3 universities, Durham being one of them.

francesca
    It's definitely somewhere you need to visit to see if you like it! It's a very modern campus, pretty small (lecture theatres/etc, the bar and 1 college on campus, the other college is about 5-10 mins walk away, no Boots/WH Smiths/etc like there are on other uni campuses though). There's a bus stop pretty much on campus so you can get the free bus to Stockton town centre or to Durham city, and you can pay to get a bus to middlesborough/etc too. I guess the main thing is that you need to get buses/cars everywhere, which is the opposite of Durham City's 'walk everywhere' nature.

ReputationRep:
    I've received an offer for accounting and finance, and this is my first choice. who else is going??

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.