Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend said he'd kill himself if we broke up. watch

As the title says, he said he would kill himself if we broke up.

I'm not happy in the relationship but the last thing I want is for him to kill himself. He has no friends where we live, and not much family, and I'm really worried and scared about what to do.

I don't know whether he would actually do it or not, but he always gets very aggressive and shouts/hits things when we argue so I don't know if he would do something rash in the heat of things.

I don't know what to do, so I guess I'm asking for some advice.

ReputationRep:
    Call his bluff.
    If he kills himself you will know he thought of you as his world.
    If he doesn't, he is a lying *******.

LOL, this guy I was seeing like 7 months ago said he would drown himself if we broke up

Anyways we broke up and he is still living

I'm sure your boyfriend is just saying it. Tell him you just wan to be friends or make an excuse up that we are going too fast

ReputationRep:
    Emotional blackmail. Tell him to get therapy. He's aggressive and emotionally obsesive and you don't need this crap.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take responsibility for him, you relationship has clearly broken down. But make sure theres someone else he can talk to?

My friend was in the same situation - she broke up with him and he started sending emails saying he was going to overdose in 2 hrs, 1 hr, 30 min etc. We were freaking out and trying to contact his family, but in the end it turned out he was lying (his sister emailed my friend saying it was OK, he was asleep as usual).

People who are really suicidal WANT to die and so don't tell people they're planning to, because otherwise someone would stop them.

I suggest you break up with him and ignore his pleas for attention - my friend's ignored her ex since the "suicide" incident and she's been much happier for it and she's heard from their mutual friends that he's moving on too.

ReputationRep:
    He won't.

This is a common and utterly pathetic form of blackmail. Your boyfriend is extremely unlikely to actually commit suicide if you leave him, no matter how much he tells you so; purely because he tells you so.

People with a real inclination for self-destruction don't go on about it, use it as a threat or seek attention through it. They just do it. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    He won't really and I'd advise you to watch a little film called Misery.

ReputationRep:
    LOL maybe I should've tried that :P

No, he won't, I'm pretty much sure. Emotions can be raw at first instance but over time people realise that it didn't work for a reason. He's just an emotional sort (unusual for a guy).

ReputationRep:
    Break up with him

for the lols

ReputationRep:
    Break up with him. Then we will see how much of a big man he is.

ReputationRep:
    Is he talking to someone or taking any meds for depression?

If you really don't want to be in this relationship you need to tell him that, but at the same time, tell him that as a friend you wouldn't let him kill himself. If he needs you to keep him from suicide just tell him you'll always be around as a friend but not as a girlfriend.

If you're truly unhappy he'd see that and let you move on, he's being really selfish IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Call his bluff, and if he does well look on the bright side, atleast you won't have awkward moments when you bump into him in the shops.

ReputationRep:
    A boyfriend said that to me was and he was very emotionally unstable. Always shouting, always yelling - hit me a couple of times. I left him and he's still very much alive.

Leave this guy. He isnt your responsibility and never was.

ReputationRep:
    Kill him first, he won't be expecting that. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    LOL, this guy I was seeing like 7 months ago said he would drown himself if we broke up

Anyways we broke up and he is still living

I'm sure your boyfriend is just saying it. Tell him you just wan to be friends or make an excuse up that we are going too fast
    This. It's emotional blackmail and it is not worth your happiness. You'll be a lot happier without him by the sounds of it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Break up with him.
    Do you really want to be in a relationship with someone who blackmails you to stay with them through threat of taking their life?

If he's serious about it call a psychiatric home.

My ex used to talk about how he'd thought about suicide in the past and then move on to say how he wouldn't know what to do without me. He's still alive, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As the title says, he said he would kill himself if we broke up.

I'm not happy in the relationship but the last thing I want is for him to kill himself. He has no friends where we live, and not much family, and I'm really worried and scared about what to do.

I don't know whether he would actually do it or not, but he always gets very aggressive and shouts/hits things when we argue so I don't know if he would do something rash in the heat of things.

I don't know what to do, so I guess I'm asking for some advice.
    You need to look after yourself as well, he could easily drag you down with him so possibly guide him to some sort of help, but get rid of him. You can't have a relationship like that, him guilt tripping you into staying with him.

ReputationRep:
    pfff, he's just intimidating you, dump the *******

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.