Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressPuppy)
    You need to report an RTA within 24hrs... if you haven't already done so, you need to make the call. This is regardless of whether yiou have exchanged driver details or not. HTH! SP :-) Oh and good luck!
    incorrect

http://www.met.police.uk/traffic/forms.htm

provides an accurate list of the scenarios when a collision must be reported to the police

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    I didn't think the rules had changed!

I'm both a biker and a driver so I know the problems both face.

Were you in lane and riding steadily or flitting around like a demented flea (a few bad riders do...no, I'm not suggesting that you're a bad/dangerous rider)? I can perhaps understand him not seeing you in his mirrors (bikes do very well at hiding in blind spots), but if he'd done his checks properly before moving there's no way he should have missed you.

I had changed lanes, but I was well established in the lane before the accident.

(Original post by mackemforever)
    Well that alone proves he is a complete retard.
    I think he was just trying to frighten me into not claiming. He knew he was going to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Even if he had signalled, he'd have still been at fault. Signalling does not give you carte-blanche to pull out into traffic. The fact that he also failed to signal just makes him doubly at fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    I had changed lanes, but I was well established in the lane before the accident.
    Creek, paddle etc! He has no excuses - well, none that are valid anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Sue for every penny you can get. Everyone else does.

Hope you get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Sue for every penny you can get. Everyone else does.

Hope you get better
    With the woman who hit me, I just claimed back the money for my scooter and helmet, she was nice though. This guy was a complete jackass to me, so I'm gunning for whatever I can get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    incorrect

http://www.met.police.uk/traffic/forms.htm

provides an accurate list of the scenarios when a collision must be reported to the police
    Nope, I'm right. The OP said the reg number was taken down, not that details were exchanged... at which point http://www.dft.gov.uk/collisionrepor...aw/default.asp the driver has 24c hrs (section 6b). SP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressPuppy)
    Nope, I'm right. The OP said the reg number was taken down, not that details were exchanged... at which point http://www.dft.gov.uk/collisionrepor...aw/default.asp the driver has 24c hrs (section 6b). SP
    "took down his number and reg plate" sort of implies that details were exchanged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Wow - I'm not that sure you can win then, to be honest.

Lessons learned:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS call the police in a car crash. You wouldn't be posting this thread if you did that.
    ALWAYS TAKE WITNESS DETAILS - you could have used them to help fight your case.

I really don't understand why you didn't do either (or both of!) the above.
    Unless you've ever been in a bike accident you wouldn't understand this. I'm not being offensive or anything but the shock in combination with adrenaline not to mention potential concussion seriously clouds you judgement and you don't think clearly.

ReputationRep:
    It's been about a month since, and the claim is still ongoing. His insurance has gotten in contact with mine. He's denying it. He's saying he never hit me. He was two cars behind me, and he merely stopped to ask if I was alright and help me pick up my bike.

I need to phone my insurance again and tell them what to do, what's the best idea?

ReputationRep:
    You'll end up settling on a no blame deal. You won't win without any witnesses or a police report. I always thought it was a legal requirement to inform the police if there were any injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    It's been about a month since, and the claim is still ongoing. His insurance has gotten in contact with mine. He's denying it. He's saying he never hit me. He was two cars behind me, and he merely stopped to ask if I was alright and help me pick up my bike.

I need to phone my insurance again and tell them what to do, what's the best idea?
    A big factor in insurance reports is precisely what was said by the other party at the time. Did you write down his words as accurately as possible close to the time? It would be well worth informing your insurance of this if they haven't already done so.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly what he said, he looked at my bike and dismissed that there was any major damage, then he said something about blaming me and thrashing me in the courts, then when I said he hadn't signaled, he said he didn't have to.

ReputationRep:
    Have you told this to your insurance company? As long as you have told your insurance company everything then you will be fine. At the end of the day, he hit you so he is on the back foot here.

You should not need to talk to his insurance company or any representative of him, if his insurance company call, refer them to your insurance company. Do not talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in insurance claims, the fact that hes pulled out into your line that you we're establised in was his fault.

Did you actually hit his car or did you swerve to avoid him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Have you told this to your insurance company? As long as you have told your insurance company everything then you will be fine. At the end of the day, he hit you so he is on the back foot here.

You should not need to talk to his insurance company or any representative of him, if his insurance company call, refer them to your insurance company. Do not talk to them.

He wont win any more than a 50/50 claim. There are no witnesses and no police report - no photos or anything to prove that the other party did anything other than stop and help. Its one persons word against another.

Lessons;

Call the police! They have to take statements and details. If the other person has buggered off then its failure to stop at the scene and insurance wont like that. They will also deal with witness'. With a good police statement then it will end any form of legal discussion what so ever. The insurance co's will work from that and decide between themselves.

If you dont call the police then at least get witness statements.

Never admit to anything (I know you didnt, but just as a general rule)

It might be worth employing someone to deal with the claim. There are a few legal firms which are reccomended on Pistonheads who deal with bike claims. They know the law inside out and will get everything they can for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    He wont win any more than a 50/50 claim. There are no witnesses and no police report - no photos or anything to prove that the other party did anything other than stop and help. Its one persons word against another.
    :confused:

I never said he would get any more than 50/50. Just that as long as you stuck by the story he would be fine, i.e. he would get a pay out. But equally, the other guy is on the back foot because he hit the biker by not checking. The onus is therefore on the other driver to prove that it was as much the OPs fault as his, which can be tricky, made easier of course by witness statements, but hey ho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danjones1989)
    I used to work in insurance claims, the fact that hes pulled out into your line that you we're establised in was his fault.

Did you actually hit his car or did you swerve to avoid him?
    He changed into my lane and the area where his door is pushed me towards the curb, which is where I fell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    :confused:

I never said he would get any more than 50/50. Just that as long as you stuck by the story he would be fine, i.e. he would get a pay out. But equally, the other guy is on the back foot because he hit the biker by not checking. The onus is therefore on the other driver to prove that it was as much the OPs fault as his, which can be tricky, made easier of course by witness statements, but hey ho.
    Well, yeah he'll get a pay out, but off his rather the car drivers insurance. Nobody has to prove anything. For all the insurance know the biker was doing 50mph up the inside and riding stupidly. Without any evidence or support for either party its going to be a 50/50 claim which isnt what the OP was after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Google Streetview ?
    lol the one in 10000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000 chance that google streetview caught that collision on camera

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.