Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, many of you probably have a physics exam this thursday regardless of examination boards. It is my understanding that this is a new specification for AQA at least, I have having trouble finding how to revise for it. I would appreciate it if a few of you would discuss your methods of revising for the exam. So far I have done the specification papers and they were okay, but I am still uncertain on a few topics. Rep for a good revision method (y).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdude22)
    Hi, many of you probably have a physics exam this thursday regardless of examination boards. It is my understanding that this is a new specification for AQA at least, I have having trouble finding how to revise for it. I would appreciate it if a few of you would discuss your methods of revising for the exam. So far I have done the specification papers and they were okay, but I am still uncertain on a few topics. Rep for a good revision method (y).
    Hey I'm doing this exam too.

Go through the paper 4's (a and b) on this link, http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/phya_assess.php though it is old spec so there's some odd stuff thrown in too.

ReputationRep:
    Examstyle quesions are the best thing thats out there. Sit down and do as many as you can - thats the best way to do it imho
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My advice is don't do any questions unless you have answers.
    I've found that the 'endorsed by AQA book cites exam questions whicha ren't actually on the exam they claim it is. And half the time they don't even have the paper because they only keep past papers from the last three (?) years on their website.

So basically....summary questions are the way forward, and if you can find QP/MS for past papers then go ahead and do those.

ReputationRep:
    I've found freeexampapers.com really helpful.
    Especially for practising the multiple choice questions.

ReputationRep:
    I see my future... thise exam does not bode well for thee.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it too. How's everyone feeling? Confident?

Exam questions are definitely the way forward, there's a couple of specimen papers on the AQA site.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Physics 4 on Thursday too! But, it's AQA B! Which has to be the worst spec out there! Really don't know what to expect...specimen paper is absolute cack, they might as well not have provided that excuse of a markscheme! Let's hope it's not like the AQA Biology paper that people are talking about!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely bricking this. Know virtually nothing due to attrocious teaching and focus on other subjects. Even the multiple choice questions look bloody impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I just really hope we don't get some ****** magnetic field question.
    ...I'm praying for circular motion, gravitational fields, momentum and maybe a simple harmonic motion questions.
    No electric fields plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I just really hope we don't get some ****** magnetic field question.
    ...I'm praying for circular motion, gravitational fields, momentum and maybe a simple harmonic motion questions.
    No electric fields plz
    This exactly

Screw magnetic fields. Im not going to be making retarded hand signals in the hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    This exactly

Screw magnetic fields. Im not going to be making retarded hand signals in the hall
    I don't even know when you use which one hand...
    Gonna be doing some major cramming tomorrow...What idiot thought to put chemistry the day before physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I don't even know when you use which one hand...
    Gonna be doing some major cramming tomorrow...What idiot thought to put chemistry the day before physics?
    The same idiot who put shrews in AQA biology i suppose.

Ive spent pretty much all day doing chem and i have no idea how physics will go. Ahh well, i don't really need to sleep do i?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking it too, just really worried about the wordy parts explanations. That said I think I understand most of the module, and hope to do well. A fair majority of the bits, are just a case of using the formula sheet, but like a said the wordy explanations, or random things like benefits and disadvantages of tracking vehicles worry me the most.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh I'm taking this
    bricking anything related to fields (so thats most of it)
    and anything wordy

Haha AQA just can't decided, that biology one on monday was full of how science works, chemitry today hardly had anything -- what will await with physics?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Im not going to be making retarded hand signals in the hall
    Just remember, "G(Fleming's) on a bike(Right hand grip)" :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone have a stab at explaining this equation to me:
    E = E0 sin 2(pi)ft
    and
    E = BAN w sin wt

Also, what is "e" and a "natural log" ?
    you can tell i don't maths lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raceforthefishman)
    Oooooh I'm taking this
    bricking anything related to fields (so thats most of it)
    and anything wordy

Haha AQA just can't decided, that biology one on monday was full of how science works, chemitry today hardly had anything -- what will await with physics?!
    That worried me a bit too! I doubt it will be too bad, physics is a bit more formula sheety, so can't be too bad (he says now!). That said I suspect there will be at least one slightly random question. If you are worried about wordy bits, you could try my techique of using bullet points in your answers, (sentence ones, not just one word ones.) I find this helps you to focus better, and stop waffling to much.

I suspect that fields will make up at least 1/2 the paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriz M)
    That worried me a bit too! I doubt it will be too bad, physics is a bit more formula sheety, so can't be too bad (he says now!). That said I suspect there will be at least one slightly random question. If you are worried about wordy bits, you could try my techique of using bullet points in your answers, (sentence ones, not just one word ones.) I find this helps you to focus better, and stop waffling to much.

I suspect that fields will make up at least 1/2 the paper!
    Ye thanks, I'll get by! haha

urrrrf hopefully the fields questions are mathsy
    actually I hope the majority of the paper is maths

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geohess)
    Can anyone have a stab at explaining this equation to me:
    E = E0 sin 2(pi)ft
    and
    E = BAN w sin wt

Also, what is "e" and a "natural log" ?
    you can tell i don't maths lol.
    OK I'll try!

1) E (actually it is epsilon so a curly E) in magnetic fields is EMF, or electro-motive force. This is pretty much the same as voltage, as it is measured in volts. e is natural log so 2.71828183.

The fist equation is saying how the emf varies at different points in time, compared to the e0 which is the maximum emf.

The second equation is similar, but instead of using E0 it just finds it using BANw. It is actually the function for finding flux linkage at different times differentiated, but I wouldn't worry about that!

Hope that helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.