Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think.

**** OFF ******* EXAM

why did i find that so hard.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was reasonable, apart from that **** off long 6 marker at the end. I missed the last 4 marks as well. Nothing extraordinarily hard though, just damn long. I struggled to finish section A in 45 minutes. What were the hardest questions, do you think?
    And some of the people I aforementioned said they found it hard. So I'm pleased about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    I thought it was reasonable, apart from that **** off long 6 marker at the end. I missed the last 4 marks as well. Nothing extraordinarily hard though, just damn long. I struggled to finish section A in 45 minutes. What were the hardest questions, do you think?
    And some of the people I aforementioned said they found it hard. So I'm pleased about that.
    The 6 marker wasn't that long was it? it was only two specific points... unless there was another 6 marker i somehow missed....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heinsmit)
    The 6 marker wasn't that long was it? it was only two specific points... unless there was another 6 marker i somehow missed....:confused:
    It was that, but I spent a bit too long on it :emo:

ReputationRep:
    It was ok, reckon I've lost about 10 on the multiple choice, missed out two 2 markers and a 1 marker and I reckon I've lost 10 more marks on the other questions. So hoping Ill have about 50/75.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1162714&page=6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    It was that, but I spent a bit too long on it :emo:
    do you reckon saying laminate the core to prevent eddy currents would be accepted? there's that, and i worry i didnt explain it well enough: i said that the eddy currents oppose the change that caused them so some of the power is diverted into creating eddy currents.

ReputationRep:
    Some answers I remember, anyone got similar?

Multiple choice:

- The time period had r^3/GM in it
    - An oscillating mass would return to its natural frequency after driving force removed
    - 1000uF vs. 100uF capacitor was 10xenergy, 10xcharge stored
    - displacement is pi/2 out of phase with velocity?

Paper:

- velocity was 2.21 in Q1
    - centripetal acceleration found by GM/r^2
    - Transformer increasing voltage to 12V - no effect on time to 90% discharge, quadruple energy stored
    - 23.2s time constant
    - 6x10^-5 current
    - gpe was gp times m, for that 'state the relationship'
    - Kinetic energy graph was 0 at 0, max-positive at T/4, 0 at T/2, max-positive at 3T/4 and 0 at T. I ended up with two parabolas but not sure about the shape. Is it like a sin^2(x) curve and if so how were we meant to know that shape?
    - I got £4.20 for the cost, was that "about £4" or did anyone get closer?
    - How much were we meant to write for the very first part; describe energy changes in pendulum? I wrote about 3 times as much as the space required, what would the two marks be?

ReputationRep:
    ffs
    This paper was horrid
    hello June!

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Game_boy)

Multiple choice:

- The time period had r^3/GM in it
    - An oscillating mass would return to its natural frequency after driving force removed
    - 1000uF vs. 100uF capacitor was 10xenergy, 10xcharge stored
    - displacement is pi/2 out of phase with velocity?

Paper:

- velocity was 2.21 in Q1
    - centripetal acceleration found by GM/r^2
    - Transformer increasing voltage to 12V - no effect on time to 90% discharge, quadruple energy stored
    - 23.2s time constant
    - 6x10^-5 current
    - gpe was gp times m, for that 'state the relationship'
    - Kinetic energy graph was 0 at 0, max-positive at T/4, 0 at T/2, max-positive at 3T/4 and 0 at T. I ended up with two parabolas but not sure about the shape. Is it like a sin^2(x) curve and if so how were we meant to know that shape?
    - I got £4.20 for the cost, was that "about £4" or did anyone get closer?
    - How much were we meant to write for the very first part; describe energy changes in pendulum? I wrote about 3 times as much as the space required, what would the two marks be?
    I got similar to you but i missed out the last page, i saw the last question and just wrote something random like saves money over a long period of time but takes too long to switch it on again.

Got ass raped by the multiple choice questions though, everyone in my class found it hard too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Game_boy)
    I got all your multiple choice answers and most of your Section B's, although I put something different for the time for 90% discharge but you are right I think, I didn't do the cost because it was taking me too much time. I also wrote tons for the first part of section B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreizhen)
    I got all your multiple choice answers and most of your Section B's, although I put something difference for the time for 90% discharge but you are right I think, I didn't do the cost because it was taking me too much time. I also wrote tons for the first part of section B.
    I wrote loads there too. It is rather hard to explain briefly. Hope I wrote what they wanted though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone hazard a guess of the grade boundaries (raw marks) for this? What percentages are usually A's, B's, C's, etc in physics A2 exam? And don't tell me 80% for an A because that would surely not be the case....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    Anyone hazard a guess of the grade boundaries (raw marks) for this? What percentages are usually A's, B's, C's, etc in physics A2 exam? And don't tell me 80% for an A because that would surely not be the case....
    79% for an A hyuk hyuk

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...d=274690068889

join if you agree!!!1

ReputationRep:
    i think the paper is apparently easier than the examination-style question after each chapter in the textboook. There is some tricky questions in the those asking which one is correct/incorrect statement., Overall it is a "test of knowledge" paper, at least most answers can be found in the book directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    Looking at the previous Unit 4 (which was a little different), average of 70 for an A, 60 for a B. The hardest Unit 4 paper was even 65 for an A. None were above 75 for an A.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I thought it was always 80% for an A :/. Things aren't too bad then!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.