Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the midst of applying for a PhD studentship at Durham (Physics) and am rather torn between University, St. Chad's and Hatfield. I'd like to go to a college with nice architecture, but am aware of the huge competition for places at University College (at least for undergrads). Would it be wiser to pick a college with less competition to avoid being put into a less attractive one? Please could anyone give me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persephone254)
    I'm in the midst of applying for a PhD studentship at Durham (Physics) and am rather torn between University, St. Chad's and Hatfield. I'd like to go to a college with nice architecture, but am aware of the huge competition for places at University College (at least for undergrads). Would it be wiser to pick a college with less competition to avoid being put into a less attractive one? Please could anyone give me some advice?
    Hi,
    I had the same dilema. And in the end just went with the one I liked. If I don't apply where I want to be then I never stand a chance of getting a place there. Don't want to think what if... later on. So go for the one you like. A lot of postgrads have different priorities than undergrads, will be after familiy accomodation, etc. so won't necessary all choose the most popular undergrad colleges, at least that's my logoics behind it :-). Good luck with you application!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That makes a lot of sense and I agree that quite a few postgrads may have different priorities. In any case it's rather difficult to make a decision without having been to Durham before. But thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persephone254)
    I have a feeling that Castle postgrads live quite far away from the Castle/centre of Durham. Does anyone know for sure, (I don't want to give wrong advice).

ReputationRep:
    Castle postgrads live in accommodation beside the hospital so it is a bit of a way out. However i think they only have something like 26 rooms of postgraduate accommodation.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.