Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that someone who is beautiful, is generally believed to be more important than someone who is not.
    For example, when a beautiful person is murdered/kidnapped/missing/dies they are on the news a lot, but is this the same for people who are unfortunately not as good looking, assuming they are in the same situation?

I can think of two examples, Madeleine Mccann and Chris Henry.
    The second guy was an American Football player that recently died, it was all over the news in the USA, (and therefore all over Twitter).

To be honest I don't really have much of an opinion on whether people subconsciously like beautiful people more, but I would really love to hear what you guys have to say about it.
    Pictures are included below.

ReputationRep:
    Insert joke about a paedo + Maddy being beautiful...

MJ wasn't beautiful when he died. That was a pretty big thing tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Insert joke about a paedo + Maddy being beautiful...

MJ wasn't beautiful when he died. That was a pretty big thing tbh.
    One could argue that his music was beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing...woman_syndrome

ReputationRep:
    'What is beautiful is good' (Dion and others, 1972).

'Physical beauty is the sign of an interior beauty, a spiritual and moral beauty' (Johann Schiller, 1882).

What I learnt in my Social Psychology module :p:

ReputationRep:

Wow. Just look at possible cases in the United States!

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone- subconsciously or not,judges by appearance.They say first impressions matter, so if you're not beautiful you don't get much of a chance

I'd like it to be different,but I think with the way the media pushes beautiful people forward,its become common for us to only pay attention to what attracts us.
    However,although it matters,if you're not beautiful you learn to make do with what you have so I think you become more beautiful inside (awwh).

ReputationRep:
    People who are considered to be attractive are also considered to be more successful in other areas of their lives, including being a kind and polite person.

Suppose this could extend to importance of someone's death/worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakina101)
    One could argue that his music was beautiful?
    I'd argue that his music isn't beautiful - far from it, take Sigur Ros as an example of beautiful music - though the reaction from the crowd when he performed was beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayley22)
    People who are considered to be attractive are also considered to be more successful in other areas of their lives, including being a kind and polite person.

Suppose this could extend to importance of someone's death/worth.

I don't know about other people, but more a person(or media) stresses his/her beauty the less I think of them.

ReputationRep:
    lol ' comparing a kid to an adult, i could easily say that american football star wasnt on the news at all over here but all we heard about was maddie when she went missing

its got **** all to do with looks IMO

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that someone who is beautiful, is generally believed to be more important than someone who is not.
    For example, when a beautiful person is murdered/kidnapped/missing/dies they are on the news a lot, but is this the same for people who are unfortunately not as good looking, assuming they are in the same situation?
    I think you have a point.

It was quite obvious when comparing the Madeleine Mccann case with that of Shannon Matthews.

But i think other factors came into play here - social class, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this. I remember some goth girl on the news before being raped and murdered, she definately wasn't pretty, and everyone seemed very upset by it. I could do more research and find a lot of examples, but i cant be bothered :/

All I'm saying is, I simply disagree.

ReputationRep:

I can think of two examples, Madeleine Mccann and Chris Henry.
    The second guy was an American Football player that recently died, it was all over the news in the USA, (and therefore all over Twitter).

To be honest I don't really have much of an opinion on whether people subconsciously like beautiful people more, but I would really love to hear what you guys have to say about it.
    Pictures are included below.

This comparison is ludicrous, sorry. But yes, beauty matters a hell of a lot, and there's NOTHING we can do about. Of course beauty is very subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does lol.

People who are good looking can get away with so much stuff fuglies can't. E.g. I could take the piss out of a lot of girls and they'd just laugh and giggle. If a fat ugly bold bloke did that they'd switch out and call him a creep etc.

Look at the difference between Shannon Matthews and Madeline. Who got way more coverage? Which of the two were cuter?

ReputationRep:
    hmm. i dont know about these particular examples but in day to day life, i think there is a slight bias towards people who are taller, or maybe better looking..

im not saying if youre tall and good looking then youre kushdi but sometimes it can be a big advantage in certain situations eg job interviews etc

ReputationRep:
    It's to do with social class as well as beauty. The more beautiful the person the more that has been "wasted" when something tragic befalls them seems to be the line of reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    This comparison is ludicrous, sorry. But yes, beauty matters a hell of a lot, and there's NOTHING we can do about. Of course beauty is very subjective.

I'm sorry!! Those were the two that were stuck in my head.
    You're right about beauty being subjective, however I'm sure most of us can agree on what constitutes beauty. Like for example, beauty (physical) for a human could mean them being healthy, with proportionate features, and a symmetrical face (I read that in a studey somewhere), etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'd argue that his music isn't beautiful - far from it, take Sigur Ros as an example of beautiful music - though the reaction from the crowd when he performed was beautiful.

They do make beautiful music :cute:
    I would say that Michael Jackson made beautiful music in my opinion, because his songs connect with me in a way most music fails to do!:yep: Maybe music is more subjective than human (physical) beauty

ReputationRep:
    That guy isn't beautiful, so.... :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.