Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm buying a digital piano...advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have about £650 budget and just wondered if the Yamaha YDP140 is a good buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

If not does anyone think there's anything better for the same price?

Also this digital piano is cheaper from normans instruments...http://www.normans.co.uk/p-17-yamaha...ark-alder.aspx

Has anyone ever brought anything from there..is it trustworthy?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    No matter what, you should try and play the instrument before you buy it. At least when you've decided on a model that you enjoy playing, responds well and has a good sound then you can decide to shop around for the best price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB Johnstone)
    No matter what, you should try and play the instrument before you buy it. At least when you've decided on a model that you enjoy playing, responds well and has a good sound then you can decide to shop around for the best price.
    Ahh ok thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    I have the same piano you're looking at (I think), I think it's great and have had no problems with it

ReputationRep:
    My #1 recommendation would be: Try before you buy!

It's frustratingly time-consuming when you're in a rush to buy one, but totally worth doing. I bought a digital piano last year and before I started trekking around the showrooms, I was expecting to buy either a Kurzweil SP2X (weighted keyboard) or a Yamaha CLP series. After I'd tried a few in shops I was astonished at how much of a mistake that would have been! To me, the Kurzweils sounded and felt electronic and cheap, and the only Yamahas I liked were the ones way out of my budget!

In the end I went for a Kawai, the CL35. I'd never heard of the brand before, but found it in a showroom and it looked and felt fantastic.

I'm generally one for online research and then quick buying decisions, but I'm really glad I took the time to check these out in person.

Good luck and enjoy your new piano, whichever you go for!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.