Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Physics B - Rise and fall of the clockwork universe - 28th Jan watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing this exam and what are you're thoughts on it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam, my thoughts aren't very good.

ReputationRep:
    There don't seem to be THAT many equations we have to remember, and others can be worked out using the units... Its the writing questions that get me every time. I either don't understand what they are asking me, or express things incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HitTheSwitch)
    There don't seem to be THAT many equations we have to remember, and others can be worked out using the units... Its the writing questions that get me every time. I either don't understand what they are asking me, or express things incorrectly.
    I have this tomorrow and really havn't had much time to revise for it with all the exams this January, I'm going to cram from now until 1pm tomorrow :P

Before I started looking at some past papers I thought it'd be an ok exam but some of the past papers are just downright strange and I'm a bit worried, it'll either go really well or catastrophically bad. Let's hope for low grade boundaries! In the past it's been around 70% for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-H)
    I have this tomorrow and really havn't had much time to revise for it with all the exams this January, I'm going to cram from now until 1pm tomorrow :P

Before I started looking at some past papers I thought it'd be an ok exam but some of the past papers are just downright strange and I'm a bit worried, it'll either go really well or catastrophically bad. Let's hope for low grade boundaries! In the past it's been around 70% for an A.
    I think our course has changed a little, in the past this part was marked factoring in the coursework or something but aparently now its different. Also I think we have some other stuff thats from other units like time dilation etc...

This could really go either way, I got a C on my last past paper, but before that I got an A. I am confused.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping it won't be too bad as the past papers haven't been too hard. Hopefully it is jam packed with calculation questions as I always struggle with the writing questions, my english isn't too good haha.
    good luck everyone who has it tomorrow though, you'll all do great

ReputationRep:
    I think our course has changed a little, in the past this part was marked factoring in the coursework or something but aparently now its different. Also I think we have some other stuff thats from other units like time dilation etc...

This could really go either way, I got a C on my last past paper, but before that I got an A. I am confused.
    That's true, as we've had special relativity added to our paper.. have you really learnt anything on that? As our teacher seemed to struggle to figure out what to teach us as he had no idea how it'll come up.. great :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's true, as we've had special relativity added to our paper.. have you really learnt anything on that? As our teacher seemed to struggle to figure out what to teach us as he had no idea how it'll come up.. great :rolleyes:
    From the sounds of it we'll have to work out change in time from either the moving object or stationary point based on the relativistic factor (but you get the equation in the book I think).

ReputationRep:
    From the sounds of it we'll have to work out change in time from either the moving object or stationary point based on the relativistic factor (but you get the equation in the book I think).
    I havn't been taught any of that, I've just found the equations in the formula book though, hopefully it'll just be a case of plugging some numbers in and hoping for the best! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I hope the exam is just plugging numbers in too. I dont know anything in physics this year for some reason (whole class except two ppl got U on coursework - so i'm not alone atleast). Teachers gave me pack of questions to do for practice but no answers -.-

Gonna do a past paper now and then prob cry till 1:30pm tomorrow :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with loads of decay/gas kinetics/SHM questions. But no obscure mechanics stuff like the helicopter question in past papers :p:

ReputationRep:
    OCR science exams sound so poor. What's with the weird Names for the Units!

ReputationRep:
    Weird?! This Unit has possibly the best name of all my subjects! Way better than boring 'Physics in Action' or 'Statistics 1' :p:

ReputationRep:
    I havn't been taught any of that, I've just found the equations in the formula book though, hopefully it'll just be a case of plugging some numbers in and hoping for the best! Thanks
    I've just looked thoroughly through my equation booklet and cannot find any equations on the Relativistic Doppler Effect and Time Dilation? Are you sure they are in the equation book haha because they are 100% not in mine, just spent the last few lessons making sure we know all the equations and how to do questions.
    Also I will warn you now, there is a massive chance that 'space-time diagrams (worldlines)' will be in this so make sure you are confident on that, cannot gaurantee this but seeing as this is all new then almost 100% sure that this, the Relativistic Doppler Effect and Time Dilation will pop up somewhere.
    No wordy questions though please OCR and don't do what AQA biology did and shove in a load of common sense questions......I'm lacking in common sense ahaha

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/oc...gce_g491-9.pdf

^ Relativistic factor, page 6. This time dilation stuff is annoying, the CGP revision guide neglected it and the textbook is... well the textbook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/oc...gce_g491-9.pdf

^ Relativistic factor, page 6. This time dilation stuff is annoying, the CGP revision guide neglected it and the textbook is... well the textbook!
    I felt that the CGP revision guide neglected it too! There's nothing in there about special relativity..

I can't use the textbook it's too rubbish.

ReputationRep:

Hear hear! Start revision now, we have ~20 hours

Gunna be a long night guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    Hear hear! Start revision now, we have ~20 hours

Gunna be a long night guys!
    Aha, I don't plan on doing an all nighter :p: I don't think it would work for an afternoon exam, I'd be asleep at the desk!

Just do a fair amount tonight, get up reasonably early tomorrow and cram again in the morning

Past papers today, reading the revision guide tomorrow morning I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I don't plan on doing an all nighter :p: I don't think it would work for an afternoon exam, I'd be asleep at the desk!

Just do a fair amount tonight, get up reasonably early tomorrow and cram again in the morning

Past papers today, reading the revision guide tomorrow morning I reckon.
    Omg... I nearly died then... THought I left my GCP revision guide in school!!!

Just found it under a big pile of papers :o: :o: :o:

Let the revision commence!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got to say, this unit has the most badass title ever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.