The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
On behalf of my clever friend, this paper seemed like it was terrible! What did everyone else think of it?
There were some difficult questions, though most of it was pretty straightforward 'show that' type-questions. Got a bit hung up on the oscillation graph and the kinetic energy graph.
Reply 42
I thought the paper was pretty straightforward.
That... was... ridiculous
Reply 44
i found it quite mixed really :s-smilie: i didnt have a clue about the question to do with the copper particles melting when they oscillate at 15% of d or sumat like that... anyone enlighten me?
Reply 45
Thought it was awful.
Reply 46
dan9
i found it quite mixed really :s-smilie: i didnt have a clue about the question to do with the copper particles melting when they oscillate at 15% of d or sumat like that... anyone enlighten me?

On that question i used E = 1/2 k x^2 and E = kT, so k x^2 = 2kT

However that was one question where I don't think I got the correct answer - I got a ridiculous 49,000K.
Reply 47
dan9

Hey,

E = 1/2 k (force per unit displacement)

A= 0.15 x d (found in earlier question)

E = k (boltzmann) T

T = E/k (boltzmann)

Sub in E found earlier and you get the melting point :-)

I got around 1300K
What was up with the question on young modulus and spring constant/density having the same units? As far as I could tell they don't...

EDIT: I for one could have used a bit more time too. (or a shorter paper)
Reply 49
I thought this paper was harder than all the past papers we did but i did expect it after last years June exam though. Even the momentum question was quite tricky.
Reply 50
The paper was bad... :frown: definitely resitting in june :smile:
Reply 51
:mad:
kylesawhney
Hey,

E = 1/2 k (force per unit displacement)

A= 0.15 x d (found in earlier question)

E = k (boltzmann) T

T = E/k (boltzmann)

Sub in E found earlier and you get the melting point :-)

I got around 1300K

Shoot! I did exactly that but used 1.15 instead of 0.15 :eek3:
Didnt have enough bloody time again. The section A wasnt as easy as it normally is, and i didnt have a clue about the atom question. Also some nice questions like the velocty-KE graph and the piston question. But yeh... no time to check answers so i dont know.
Reply 53
I'm surprised you didn't have enough time - I found myself with 15 minutes to check answers.
I just wish we had lines for the questions where u gotta write. And wasn't expecting that one on electron emission, didn't do that this year. Felt sorry for the new guy in my class who didnt do it last year.
Mmm... yeh i guess the electron was synoptic, i just remembered it from chemistry though lol. Et=KT, then E=hf, finally v=yf. There was also a boltzmann factor part i seem to remember?
Reply 56
Wasn't a bad paper, wasn't the best either.

Felt Section A was rather tricky, especially the wording of question 3. Obviously the one about the copper melting was a bit hard as well.

TBH, I was expecting it to be worse so overall not too bad.
Samw1se
I'm surprised you didn't have enough time - I found myself with 15 minutes to check answers.

Really!? Did you miss a page or just do everything double time lmao, i did my calculations twice the first time round... but that only takes like 5 min extra!
Skadoosh
Wasn't a bad paper, wasn't the best either.

Felt Section A was rather tricky, especially the wording of question 3. Obviously the one about the copper melting was a bit hard as well.

TBH, I was expecting it to be worse so overall not too bad.

What was question 3?
Reply 59
LearningMath
What was question 3?

astronaut and momentum.

Latest

Trending

Trending