The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
dan9
where did you get the stiffness constant from?

You should have already worked it out previously.
Reply 81
I took 5 exams this jan. 3 went great, 1 was alright. then comes physics and screws it up. !

I did all the past papers and the specimen paper even did not suggest anything too difficult with applications of such like we had in that exam.
Since its the new spec i guess they make it hard. Well i think il be resitting this, i can just feel it :smile:
Reply 82
dan9
where did you get the stiffness constant from?

I'm pretty sure it was explicitly given in a previous question, if not it had been worked out previously :smile:
Reply 83
oh dear
There were some weeiirdd questions on this paper, but I think it went OKish.

For the astronaut one though, I swear it contradicted itself! In the question, it said she was being propelled away from the spacecraft (I think), but the diagram had the gas coming out of the back of her booster pack, and so she'd be propelled towards it!
I did it according to the diagram ('cause I never read the questions, and didn't actually realise until the end of the paper), so I got a velocity of like.. 4. something, therefore a relative velocity of 1. something away from the spacecraft? However, some people did it the other way, and got a velocity of like 10?

Meh. The grade boundaries will be loowww - for both the AS papers last year it was ~60% for an A, and I think this paper was definitely harder than the AS ones (comparatively of course, considering A2 is harder anyway).
Reply 85
Sockpirate

For the astronaut one though, I swear it contradicted itself! In the question, it said she was being propelled away from the spacecraft (I think), but the diagram had the gas coming out of the back of her booster pack, and so she'd be propelled towards it!
I did it according to the diagram ('cause I never read the questions, and didn't actually realise until the end of the paper), so I got a velocity of like.. 4. something, therefore a relative velocity of 1. something away from the spacecraft? However, some people did it the other way, and got a velocity of like 10?

Meh. The grade boundaries will be loowww - for both the AS papers last year it was ~60% for an A, and I think this paper was definitely harder than the AS ones (comparatively of course, considering A2 is harder anyway).

Yes he was propelled towards it but this just slowed him down he didn't to a reversal.
Reply 86
viperfx
I took 5 exams this jan. 3 went great, 1 was alright. then comes physics and screws it up. !

I did all the past papers and the specimen paper even did not suggest anything too difficult with applications of such like we had in that exam.
Since its the new spec i guess they make it hard. Well i think il be resitting this, i can just feel it :smile:

Ofcourse you'll be resitting, your clearly too uneducated to take physics.
Reply 87
LearningMath
Really!? Did you miss a page or just do everything double time lmao, i did my calculations twice the first time round... but that only takes like 5 min extra!

I consciously did it at a good pace as I ran out of time on my chemistry paper on Weds - and I didn't want the same to happen twice!
that paper was bs
Reply 89
Sockpirate

yeah i think i got 10 sumat
What about the question where you had to get 1000ms-1 for the velocity of the moon's orbit?--I couldn't get that value despite sitting there for 10 minutes using all the equations I could think of. I know it's probably really simple and I'll be kicking myself when I find out but...oh well.
Also, another stupid question, I thought the units for momentum were Kgms-1 but that wasn't an option in the first questions so I wrote it down and then circled it...no marks for me there!
Reply 91
Trafficlight
What about the question where you had to get 1000ms-1 for the velocity of the moon's orbit?--I couldn't get that value despite sitting there for 10 minutes using all the equations I could think of. I know it's probably really simple and I'll be kicking myself when I find out but...oh well.
Also, another stupid question, I thought the units for momentum were Kgms-1 but that wasn't an option in the first questions so I wrote it down and then circled it...no marks for me there!

you no the radius and so you can work out the distance travelled , 2 x pi x R, the circumference of the circle in other words, it gave you its orbital time, convert that to seconds and you have speed=distance/time
Trafficlight

I think i got the velocity one using v=wr, i dont remember the first question well, but it could have been Ns since F=mv/t...:s-smilie:
Reply 93
My teacher thinks it'll be around 36/60 for an A! As the first sitting of G491 was 36/60 for an A. That's crazy..
LearningMath
I think i got the velocity one using v=wr, i dont remember the first question well, but it could have been Ns since F=mv/t...:s-smilie:

Yeah, the second one's probably right but if you used v= wr then you must have calculated the angular velocity which you need the linear velocty and radius for, the latter which you were given but the first you didn't have...or did you? I'm confusing myself now! oh well...thank you anyway
Trafficlight
Yeah, the second one's probably right but if you used v= wr then you must have calculated the angular velocity which you need the linear velocty and radius for, the latter which you were given but the first you didn't have...or did you? I'm confusing myself now! oh well...thank you anyway

They gave you f or t, and you had r, so you could find v! Good luck :p:
Reply 96
did any of you guys get the gradient as 50? of the very last question.

oh yeah and for the second part of the time dilation question I used T= t"y. and rearrange to find t".

hmmm cant remember much now...but indeed, this was a very tricky exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending