Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For A2 English coursework we have to write a comparative essay on the topic of fantasy and reality. I would love to use A Clocwork Orange for one of my texts and so far I have come up with these points on how i can apply it to my topic:

- The use of language. How a 'fantasy' russian/invented slang is incorporated into modern English.
    - The theme of brainwashing a 'monster' into a 'law abiding citizen'. The question of whether we are truly human if we don't have the choice of free will.
    - The way the anti-hero Alex goes through an almost orgasmic experience when being violent. How he associates violence with beauty, i.e Classical music. While raping a girl he desribes it in a very theatrical way.
    -Alex has the perception of himself that he is superior and almost God-like.

So, I just wanted to know whether I might be going down the wrong path with this. Would also be very appreciative if anyone had anything to add.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is a while since I have read the book, and 'fantasy and reality' is quite a broad topic, but I can't quite see how your last three points relate to the topic.

Your first point is interesting, though, and could be even more fruitful if you adjusted it slightly (although I suspect that this is what you mean) to look at what effect language has upon reality. Since the whole novel is narrated by Alex, how do we go about distinguishing between his version of events, using his slang, and the actual reality of what happened in the storyworld? (Perhaps this is where your other three points come in.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    It is a while since I have read the book, and 'fantasy and reality' is quite a broad topic, but I can't quite see how your last three points relate to the topic.

Your first point is interesting, though, and could be even more fruitful if you adjusted it slightly (although I suspect that this is what you mean) to look at what effect language has upon reality. Since the whole novel is narrated by Alex, how do we go about distinguishing between his version of events, using his slang, and the actual reality of what happened in the storyworld? (Perhaps this is where your other three points come in.)
    Thanks for your criticisms...I wasn't quite sure on how I might be able to fit this into fantasy and reality either.

With the second point I had the idea of the fantasy that behaviour can be altered to fit society norms but when applied to reality it doesn't quite work out in theory.

With the final two points, I imagined that Alex had this glorifying fantasy of violence, crime and himsef and through the narrative style the reader is actually led to become fond of this character and sympathise with him somewhat despite his actions.

Perhaps this may be too much of a challenge and should choose something that fits snugly into this topic instead. I was thinking of 'The Virgin Suicides'....? I don't know if anyone has any thoughts on that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicolePickle)
    With the second point I had the idea of the fantasy that behaviour can be altered to fit society norms but when applied to reality it doesn't quite work out in theory.
    That is a summary of your argument which includes the words 'fantasy' and 'reality', but that's not the same as actually being relevant to the topic. It is more of a question on morality (i.e., is it better to have the free will to do evil than be restricted from evil) than of fantasy and reality as you have it currently. I can't really see, at least with my memory of the book as it is, how the Ludovico treatment business could be related to 'fantasy and reality'. This doesn't mean that you should be giving up with the book, though.

(Original post by NicolePickle)
    With the final two points, I imagined that Alex had this glorifying fantasy of violence, crime and himsef and through the narrative style the reader is actually led to become fond of this character and sympathise with him somewhat despite his actions.
    That's a really good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    That is a summary of your argument which includes the words 'fantasy' and 'reality', but that's not the same as actually being relevant to the topic. It is more of a question on morality (i.e., is it better to have the free will to do evil than be restricted from evil) than of fantasy and reality as you have it currently. I can't really see, at least with my memory of the book as it is, how the Ludovico treatment business could be related to 'fantasy and reality'. This doesn't mean that you should be giving up with the book, though.

That's a really good idea.
    Thank you so much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.