Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey,

So I go to the same University as my sister. We both started the same year (2008) but study different things. I've been getting decent enough grades since starting but my sister hasn't been. She must of done three days in the past two years. She still gets student loan as she did a day at the beginning of the year to register then doesn't go.

Anyway I'm not that fussed about that aspect as it's her life. My parents don't know that she doesn't go. As far as I'm aware they think she's about to go into her a third year. We both recieve money off my parents each month for rent/living etc. The thing that really kinda irks me is that she gets £100 more than me a month when i'm the one who actually goes. I just feel it's a bit unfair but am I just being immature and selfish and should just suck it up and carry on and ignore it?

ReputationRep:
    No, that's not fair of her to lead your parents on like that, I think I'd be pissed off in the same situation.

Is she still at uni, or dropped out??

If she's still at uni, maybe you are exaggerating a bit, and she needs the money as much as you, she's just not putting in as much work as you are. Don't unis usually kick you off the course if you don't attend lectures regulary?

If she has actually dropped out, your parents are going to find out eventually anyway because you can't keep something like that secret. YOu could tell your parents if its really bothering you...?

ReputationRep:
    How come your sister gets more money than you in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Why are your parents giving her more?? If you're at the same university, then why would she need more than you for living and rent?

She is technically enrolled at uni but doesn't go ever if that makes sense. Official attendance would probably be 1% or something. They send letters threatening to cancel student funding but tis just empty threats really. Also last year they paid her entire rent for halls and I had to pay my entire rent through working/loan. :-/

Also i'm not going to tell my parents about my sister dropping out as really it's nothing to do with me, I think it just adds to the annoyance regarding the money issue.

ReputationRep:
    Why does she get special treatment? Are you like a half sister or something?

lol no fully related. She's younger than me if that counts?

ReputationRep:
    how old are you both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol no fully related. She's younger than me if that counts?
    Well to ME it doesn't sound fair. But if she's a lot younger and you've had a job, then you may have earnt money etc.

I would purposely drop an attendance letter to your parents, just to help push her back into the 'real' world. I don't mean to sound harsh but your sister seems to be the ungrateful one, getting all that money and simply not bothering to use it for its intended purpose?

Surely telling your parents would knock her out of this spoilt daze and save them lots of money?

Sorry if I sounded harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth did she ever get more money? That sounds so unfair.
    If I was you I'd be fuming, you're being way more mature about it than I would be lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.