The Student Room Group

a course i am confused about....

please look at this
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=DUFMED8&page=detail

if i applied to this course would i become a medical doctor... like one who treats patients?
northumbria is not a medical school but when looking at the st george uni site (in america) they do clinical placement like uk medics in their final 2 years (in fact, acording to the site, you can op to do clinical placement in the uk).
would you be able to do this course then do your foundation years in the uk.

i just simply do not understand what you would do on completion of this course and weather you would be a real doctor.

does any one know any better than me:smile:
Reply 1
Yes. However, last I checked, St. George's was a private medical school with absolutely ridiculous fees and no student loans company help.
Reply 2
I'm not a hundred percent, but you come out with a medical degree, but not a UK one obviously, so not sure how that affects applying for FY1 etc.

All of these course cost an arm and a leg. I think tutition fee's are 20000 USD a term or something stupid, and I doubt you can get loans like we do from student finance.

I guess if you got stupid amounts of money to burn then go for it.
Reply 3
ballerinabetty
please look at this
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=DUFMED8&page=detail

if i applied to this course would i become a medical doctor... like one who treats patients?
northumbria is not a medical school but when looking at the st george uni site (in america) they do clinical placement like uk medics in their final 2 years (in fact, acording to the site, you can op to do clinical placement in the uk).
would you be able to do this course then do your foundation years in the uk.

i just simply do not understand what you would do on completion of this course and weather you would be a real doctor.

does any one know any better than me:smile:

You would be a doctor albeit one who graduated from a Carribean medical school.

Aside from the extortionate fees, you would have to sit PLAB and be considered as an international doctor when it comes to applying for speciality training.

Equally, if you fancied the US, you would have to sit USMLEs and apply for residency. Many residency programs have a clause that states that your medical school must have a majority of it's school population as nationals from the host country, to stop the likes of grenada and prague flourishing.

Having said that, you could still get FY1/2 and a residency SOMEWHERE in some speciality...they just might not be the ones you want.
St. Georges Grenada is listed by WHO and they have a very high pass rate for USMLE step 1 (around 85% I think) and have boasted the highest overall pass rate for USMLE in the Caribbean.

You would obviously have to sit the PLAB to work in the UK and I *think* that non-EU medicine graduates can enter into FY2 but not FY1.
Reply 5
Hydromancer
St. Georges Grenada is listed by WHO and they have a very high pass rate for USMLE step 1 (around 85% I think) and have boasted the highest overall pass rate for USMLE in the Caribbean.

A pass at USMLE is like getting minimum GCSE requirements for the UK for an IMG.
dont do it seriously i actually sat and costed it up fully a it works out around 10k per term so 30k a year! Plus if you email them they will cough to never getting anyone onto the F1/F2 program
brokenangel
dont do it seriously i actually sat and costed it up fully a it works out around 10k per term so 30k a year! Plus if you email them they will cough to never getting anyone onto the F1/F2 program

just saw the prices and .... wow!!!

the course just seems silly being at northumbria uni. i live in newcastle and i know that most northumbria students are poor fellows so how would the uni seriously expect you to afford it. how missleading for applicants.

it sounds almost like paying yourself into medical school; only BBB entry requierment (with a foundation year if you dont have BBB) and only have to get 60% in your first year to enter the medical school. and you dont need extra curricular and work exp. to get in.
Reply 8
ballerinabetty

the course just seems silly being at northumbria uni. i live in newcastle and i know that most northumbria students are poor fellows so how would the uni seriously expect you to afford it. how missleading for applicants.

Medical schools are limited in number, hence they have an inelastic supply. Lots of people want to be doctors.

Soo...demand goes up, so does the price people are willing to pay. You become an MD with this program, so if you have career aspirations outside the UK and a bankroll large enough to support it, it's a great deal!

Cough up, low grades and as you say no ECs and you turn out an MD!
ballerinabetty
just saw the prices and .... wow!!!

it sounds almost like paying yourself into medical school; only BBB entry requierment (with a foundation year if you dont have BBB) and only have to get 60% in your first year to enter the medical school. and you dont need extra curricular and work exp. to get in.

haha are you forgetting Newcastle 10 private school and all the private school in Durham. I know plenty of people who could afford it in this area personnaly i would never pay it out of prinicple.

BTW Gatesheads applications for work experiance are out

digitalis

Medical schools are limited in number, hence they have an inelastic supply. Lots of people want to be doctors.

Soo...demand goes up, so does the price people are willing to pay. You become an MD with this program, so if you have career aspirations outside the UK and a bankroll large enough to support it, it's a great deal!

Cough up, low grades and as you say no ECs and you turn out an MD!

Its just weired that its up here which in general is a very poor area the worrying thing is the problems the students would face getting a post in the USA etc.
brokenangel
haha are you forgetting Newcastle 10 private school and all the private school in Durham. I know plenty of people who could afford it in this area personnaly i would never pay it out of prinicple.

good point.

BTW Gatesheads applications for work experiance are out

thanks i know but for the application form you need to get a referance from your teacher and i am not starting my alevels till september so i will need to get on the next rotaion when i actually have a teacher lol. the lady i emailed said they put new stuff up all the time. i have got GP shadowing in gateshead though.:smile:
ballerinabetty
good point.

thanks i know but for the application form you need to get a referance from your teacher and i am not starting my alevels till september so i will need to get on the next rotaion when i actually have a teacher lol. the lady i emailed said they put new stuff up all the time. i have got GP shadowing in gateshead though.:smile:

You don't they have accepted mine with a personnsl reference
brokenangel
You don't they have accepted mine with a personnsl reference

thanks for that :smile: i will try it.

Latest

Trending

Trending